Rediscovering the bus

statler

Reaction score
Boston Globe - March 11
Rediscovering the bus
Frustrated drivers, fliers boost low-price carriers

By Ross Kerber and Ashley L. Traupman, Globe Staff And Globe Correspondent | March 11, 2008

Riding the bus: cool again.

Greyhound Lines Inc. plans to start offering its low-cost BoltBus service between Boston and New York City starting next month, a spokesman said yesterday, the latest move by a major carrier seeking to capitalize on the popularity of cheap bus travel.

With fares starting at $1, wireless internet access, and curbside drop-offs in New York, BoltBus is Greyhound's latest salvo in its long-running rivalry with operators such as Fung Wah Bus Transportation Inc. BoltBus plans to keep fares low in a large part by selling tickets mainly online, which cuts operating costs. (Just 10 percent of Greyhound tickets are sold on the Web.)

BoltBus aims to attract young people, business travelers, and tourists who are flocking back to motorcoaches and boosting traffic across the industry after years of decline. Reasons include rising gas costs and frustration with driving in traffic jams and standing in airport security lines.

Total US daily bus departures and arrivals rose 13 percent last year, DePaul University professor Joseph P. Schwieterman found in a recent study of a representative sample of a dozen US cities including Providence, Chicago, and Portland, Ore. He estimates the study represents about 30 percent of total bus traffic. He found 477 trips among those cities at the end of 2007, up from 422 trips at the start of 2006. By comparison, the same cities accounted for 1,862 trips in 1960.

"The turnaround is extraordinary," Schwieterman said yesterday. "It's a whole new ridership class willing to consider the bus." He pointed to the Megabus.com service, owned by Britain's Stagecoach Group and operating mainly from Chicago. Its service has risen to 30 routes from the 7 it began with in 2006. And like BoltBus, MegaBus sells most tickets online and also boasts on-board internet access and some $1 fares.

In Chicago, Megabus chief operating officer Dale Moser said bus travel has been a big hit as the demographics have changed. Once, it was for those who couldn't afford airfare. But now, "We're getting affluent travelers who are leaving their $45,000 SUV at home," he said.

In Boston, Michael Brennan, property manager for the private company that operates the South Station bus terminal, said total passenger traffic has risen about 2,000 people a day in recent years to 12,000 on average, driven by lower fares and the ease of use compared to flying. Business travelers and students alike take advantage of the low fares.

Coaches owned by Greyhound, which was purchased last fall by the British transportation firm FirstGroup PLC, and Peter Pan Bus Lines of Springfield, account for the majority of South Station's traffic. (Peter Pan owns an undisclosed stake in BoltBus as well, executives said.) Greyhound spokesman Dustin Clark said Boston passenger arrivals and departures rose to 1,021,594 last year from 918,590 in 2006, after falling from 1,038,961 in 2005.

Another big presence is Fung Wah, which pioneered routes to New York's Chinatown, and rival Lucky River Transportation Inc., which operates Lucky Star coaches. A new entrant, Vamoose Bus Service, said it had to cancel its Cambridge-to-New York service in November - two weeks after it launched - when officials revoked their permits. But Vamoose officials are studying the market.

Fung Wah in particular has transformed the Boston market since its launch a decade ago by a Chinese immigrant, Pei Lin Liang, who started shuttling passengers by van between the Chinatowns in New York and Boston. Now, its fleet of buses charges a $15 one-way fare. Though its record has been marred by several high-profile accidents, Fung Wah's prices have forced Greyhound and others to dramatically lower their own.

Buses aren't alone in seeing traffic spikes to New York. Amtrak reports it carried 613,000 people between its three Boston-area stops last year and New York's Penn Station, up from 460,800 in 2006. At the same time, air travel seems to be under pressure: Farecompare.com shows 624,679 passengers flying from Boston's Logan airport to New York's LaGuardia airport for the first 11 months of 2007, the latest data available. That's about 10,000 fewer people than in the same period in 2006. Rick Seaney, the firm's chief executive, said the difference likely reflects fewer seats on the route and rising costs pressuring people to take the train or bus.

Certainly, travelers say price is a big factor. Chris Pickering, 43, an insurance underwriter from New York City, got off an arriving Greyhound bus on his way to meet his brother for snowshoeing. "In my case, I don't drive, and the bus is cheap," said Pickering, who paid $60 for a round-trip ticket.

Anna Krol, 27, a conference director from Brooklyn, said she prefers buses to Amtrak for the price. Amtrak prices start around $118 round-trip. "I don't think the train is particularly faster," she said. She usually takes a Fung Wah coach. "It's just easy because you don't have to book in advance. You don't really have to plan. They usually come every hour or half hour."

Boston is an unusual bus market in requiring most operators to board and drop off passengers at South Station rather than on city streets like those in Chinatown, where Fung Wah got its start. Boston officials have cited congestion, but in other cities so-called "curbside" pickups have become the norm.

Greyhound's Clark said buses from South Station will likely stop at one of two New York locations BoltBus already has said it will start using for buses running to Washington, D.C.: 33rd Street and 7th Avenue and Canal Street and 6th Avenue. BoltBus fares on its New York-Washington route now run as high as $25 one-way.

Most fares for the Boston route haven't been set yet but will likely be in line with BoltBus fares from New York to Washington. Clark said the company hasn't determined how many $1 fares will be available on each bus between Boston and New York or how far in advance customers must book their seats to get the cheapest fares. They may be scarce and come with caveats such as a 50 cent booking fee.

Robert Schwarz, executive vice president of Peter Pan, said the buses at first will likely appeal to college students. But the buses are aimed at other demographics as well, he said.

"With gas costs and the prices on Web fares today, it makes no economic sense for people to drive their auto from Boston to New York," he said.

Ross Kerber can be reached at kerber@globe.com.
Link

The South Station tower project is supposed to include a major expansion of the bus terminal, which is now at or near capacity.

This is interesting, and as someone who has to travel between Boston and New York a few times a year this is great news.

I take this trip at least once a month. Surprisingly, the $55 roundtrip Greyhound bus is always the most overbooked. I've almost never had a problem getting on the cheaper Chinatown buses. A $1 Greyhound brand is good news for everyone - it'll relieve volume and put pressure on current prices.

PS - IMO, Lucky Star is the way to go for now. It's less well known than Fung Wah, so it's never as crowded, and has a lower accident rate.

Sounds like Greyhound is trying to squeeze the Chinese bus operators out of business by pricing both above and below them.

Sounds like Greyhound is trying to squeeze the Chinese bus operators out of business by pricing both above and below them.

They did this before. There was another bus line, I think called Holliday Tours. They ran on the hour, Greyhoud on both the hour and the half. Greyhound matched them on the hour price but kept the higher price on the half hour run. Holliday eventualy sold to Greyhound.

There's way too much demand for Greyhound to squeeze out the Chinatown buses completely.

Boston.com - March 19
Boston, Deals, Massachusetts, New England, New York
Bus Wars Part II: Megabus heads to Boston

Posted by Paul Makishima, Globe Assistant Sunday Editor March 19, 2008 09:57 AM

And then there were four. Discounter Megabus plans to start offering trips between Boston and New York starting in late May. They will be going head to head with Boltbus, which is launching its service in April.
Both services has a similar pricing deal: It begins at a $1 for a seat if you reserve in advance and gets more expensive the closer you get to departure. BoltBus will offer WiFi and power outlets; Megabus won't. BoltBus will be shoving off from South Station; Megabus from 700 Atlantic Ave.
And both companies are locked in a Texas Death Cage showdown with the Chinatown bus services, Lucky Star and the sometimes-mechanically-challenged Fung Wah, which offer potentially lower cost service without amenities or the guaranteed seating.
The BoltBus-Megabus Battle in Boston is part of a larger war between the Scottish owner of BoltBus, FirstGroup PLC, and Scottish rival, Stagecoach Group, which runs Megabus. A kind of Scottish Battle Royale for the hearts and minds of the Backpack Brigade.
Still all this fighting over us. I'm thinking it's a good thing.
Link

The Chinatown buses were required to move into the South Station bus terminal instead of loading on the street, and Vamoose was not granted a license because they wanted to load on the street. Why is Megabus allowed to do it now?

I had a Megabus when I was a kid. It was pretty sweet cause it transformed into a spaceship.

The Chinatown buses were required to move into the South Station bus terminal instead of loading on the street, and Vamoose was not granted a license because they wanted to load on the street. Why is Megabus allowed to do it now?

Vamoose was dealing with Cambridge, not Boston.

700 Atlantic Ave. is the address of the South Station Bus Terminal. Perhaps this is an agreement with Boston/the operator of the Terminal (I can't find on the web who this is) to load on the street because there is no more capacity in the terminal. Or perhaps there is a reporting error. Final possibility: Megabus doesn't know they aren't allowed to load on the street. That was Vamoose's excuse.

Vamoose was dealing with Cambridge, not Boston.

700 Atlantic Ave. is the address of the South Station Bus Terminal. Perhaps this is an agreement with Boston/the operator of the Terminal (I can't find on the web who this is) to load on the street because there is no more capacity in the terminal. Or perhaps there is a reporting error. Final possibility: Megabus doesn't know they aren't allowed to load on the street. That was Vamoose's excuse.

Could be their error. But I think its because of the lack of space. The bus depot should have more room in 3-5 years

Growing popularity? Now that you know there is a dedicated NYC-Boston demographic ... go through with it? No Big Dig to worry about it? All you have to do really is remove some taxi stations. There are way too many now in my opinion.

Boston.com - April 3, 2008
Lucky Star joins Hub bus wars

April 3, 2008 02:01 PM

Bargain bus riders don't need to wait until BoltBus launches service on April 24 to travel between Boston and New York for $1 one way. Lucky Star, a five-year incumbent on this ultra-competitive route, said that starting today it, too, will offer one seat per bus for just a buck.

The family-owned Chinatown bus company is caving under new competition from corporate giants Greyhound Lines Inc., which runs BoltBus in several East Coast cities, and Coach USA, which on May 30 will add the Boston-New York route and the $1 fare to its MegaBus subsidiary's 29-city empire.

Lucky Star said it isn't sure how long it will be able to maintain this price war - especially with rising gas prices - but it's trying to hang on to its customers.

"How do we all survive?" asked Fu Mei Cheung, vice president of operations at Lucky Star, which runs 22 buses a day between the Hub and Manhatthan.

Lucky Star already matches pioneering competitor Fung Wah Bus Transportation Inc. in pricing each seat on the 57-passenger bus at $15 one-way, which has made it "very hard to maintain the company," Cheung said.

Now, weekday one-way tickets purchased online at www.luckystarbus.com will go for $1 to $15 each, plus a 50-cent transaction fee. The walk-up fare will still be $15 on most buses and $25 on the 2 a.m. departure.

"It will be interesting to see how we are going to make it," Cheung said. "How long are we going to last?"
(By Nicole C. Wong, Globe staff)

I know its sad to see a family owned business suffer like this, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons. In the end, we're doing good for the environment while saving money on gas at the same time.

If Lucky Star continues to do poorly, maybe they should consider other potential routes to Boston. This could be a way to bring more people to Boston, as the New York route has already done. Possibilities could include Albany, other parts of Upstate New York, Portland Maine ... they could even challenge Concord Trailways and service most of the greater Concord/Manchester/Portsmouth region.

I watched a Fox 25 news article recently that said due to falling real estate prices, and with the Canadian dollar increasing in value, Canadians have been pushing to get into the Boston area. Maybe this could lead to a potential Montreal route?

Is there a Chinatown in Montreal...? :)

Lucky Star should have waited to see how its business was impacted...as it is, their buses are still completely full, and knowledge of the new bus lines hasn't been fully disseminated (if they're even running yet).

A Chinatown Montreal or Toronto bus (Montreal has a decent sized Chinatown and Toronto has a vast one) would be sublime...though, given they have a hard enough time making sure everyone is back on board after fast food pit stops, I can't imagine how they'd deal with all the increased border security. Still, it currently costs something like $150 to take Greyhound from NY to Montreal, so I'm surprised there haven't at least been some attempts to compete.

However, if the big companies (Greyhound, Peter Pan, Coach USA) push the small ones such as Lucky Star out of business, fares will go back up quickly.

As a college student, i would love a discount boston-canada route. I have taken fung wah twice and grehound once both to NY, and never had a single complaint. I have taken vamoose from NY to DC, and beside 4 hours of traffic, it was great as well!
$30 from boston to DC (stopping in NY to switch greyhound to vamoose) not a bad deal at all!

I have also taken an amtrak from dc to boston, and it was great, but cost $118 :(

Maybe they should look at non-express routes.

In December, the cheapest fare (bus or train) i could get to Stamford was 35$ on greyhound.

They could also increase capacity with double-decker buses to get per-passenger costs down

There are some secret van lines that serve the smaller cities in New England - they're actually the operations the Chinatown buses grew from. You can take a Dominican van to New Hampshire, and there's a Chinese van between New York and Hartford.

Back