Channelside (née P&G) | 244-248 A Street | Fort Point

Sorry to be the wet blanket, but the park is the roof of the I90 tunnel. I don’t believe the tunnel is built to support any structures like the roof of the O'Neil in the Bulfinch Triangle. Sorry , but it looks like we have more green space in our fair city.

So let me get this straight, BeeLine: you are both the most helpful provider of photo updates on like 100 projects each month, AND you contribute to the forum with a blend of information, logic, and kindness? You are a rare rose indeed, but we are lucky to have you.

Sorry to be the wet blanket, but the park is the roof of the I90 tunnel. I don’t believe the tunnel is built to support any structures like the roof of the O'Neil in the Bulfinch Triangle. Sorry , but it looks like we have more green space in our fair city.

Thanks for pointing that out, Beeline. Hoping the park will be a success!

I hear ya, but why automatically make it another Cambridge Crossing/Rose Kennedy Greenway park???? Is that the ONLY option???

Great place for tennis courts or basketball courts or other things that are NEEDED there (or handball-skating rink since Chiofaro’s got blocked by the Harbor Tower old biddies). Why take the focus AWAY from what should become one of the great walking/pedestrian open spaces on earth????

Its poor planning - like putting hot fudge on top of a chocolate bar. Mix it up.

Boston needs to eventually get rid of the Gillette and USPS goliaths squatting the Channel and establish one of the great outdoor park locations in the world. It’s right there.

My concern is this redundant/cookie cutter park will lower the motivation to doing The Great Thing on Fort Point Channel.

Last edited:
2/23/22
The front ~1/3 of the parking lot is fenced off and there's some heavy equipment on site. Starting site work in anticipation of approval?
Channelside 1.jpg

Channelside Developer Ups Offer of Affordable and Artist Housing
Channelside.png

A 1.1 million-square-foot Fort Point development would include more affordable housing and artist-dedicated units under changes unveiled in response to demands from neighborhood groups and Boston’s arts chief.

Related Beal said it will include 20 percent affordable housing in the residential building of its Channelside project at 244-284 A St., including up to 75 percent that will be reserved for local artists.

The increase from the previously-proposed 17.5 percent affordable housing component would create 68 income-restricted units. The artist component would create the neighborhood’s largest inventory of artist housing, Related Beal Executive Vice President Stephen Faber said in presenting the changes to a Boston Planning & Development Agency advisory group last week.

“If you really want to create a catalyst for the arts, there’s no better way to do so than actually move artists into the neighborhood: living here and engaging with the community,” Faber said.

https://bankerandtradesman.com/channelside-developer-offers-more-affordable-and-artist-housing/

Why is this project undergoing changes? I thought it was under construction.

Why is this project undergoing changes? I thought it was under construction.

It happens all the time. A recent very high profile case in Boston was the Winthrop Square Tower. Remember that back section was supposed to originally go 200' higher? The tower was already out of the ground when the made that revision.

I look at that image and I think of a tall office park in Waltham. Not really neighborhood-y. No street wall. No grand walk or truly inviting public space.
In short: Meh.

Also, that is where the first overtopping happened in January 2018...
1663944435672.png

I love that this is a normal high tide captured on Google Street view from the Summer Street bridge. On a sunny day. No king tide.
I feel like there should be some Chicago River level of engineering demanded here... like making a promenade at the same level as Summer Street.
It would have been great if we could have done some effective storm flood mitigation, but that horse has left the barn.
The disposition of Seaport property, well... it's all up to the underwriters now.

Approved last night at BPDA, Related gave a lot of concessions here, especially to the artists community, hopefully that will make this a vibrant, artsy development.

Very cool video ad showcasing an ever changing, innovative Boston leading up Channelside.
I realize this doesn't much matter, but it nevertheless annoys me that when they speak of the oldest public park, which is the Common, they show footage of the Public Garden, instead.

Back