Residential / Executive Suites | 601 Newbury St | Fenway / Kenmore

The development gods seriously hate kenmore right now. What the hell are we doing to one of our major squares?

The development gods seriously hate kenmore right now. What the hell are we doing to one of our major squares?

I feel this exactly too. I've been walking around the city a lot lately, and there are pros and cons about development in a lot of the major squares/business centers. Generally speaking, though, it feels like most areas are undergoing "net positive" change with respect to development (and streetscape improvement, etc).

Kenmore, though, has a seriously dire vibe to it right now. Aside from Cornwall's pub and the new(ish) noodle place on the other side, the whole square borders on post-apocalyptic at the moment. I understand that a lot of it has to do with in-process construction and a substantially reduced number of BU people around for the summer due to covid. But, man, the vibe was dire. There were practically tumbleweeds blowing across the wide brick sidewalk on the Hotel Commonwealth side (that's actually not an exaggeration, they are pieces of dead plants from the abandoned Eastern Standard patio).

We're stuck with what we've got architecturally with Beal's two new buildings. The source of hope is the street level all around the square. We've got the 3 new businesses coming in on the Hotel Comm side, and I sincerely hope Beal takes ground level leasing seriously on the opposite side. It's the ground level businesses that are going to save us from the debacle they've placed overhead. Here's to positive thinking amidst the ruins!

The renders are poor quality. This one will probably end up looking better than most people think. Even if it doesn't, it's just a small piece of filler/density. Compared to the city as a whole and even the general neighborhood, it's merely a footnote, nothing more.

Huh. Guess I’m the minority in thinking that the renders look pretty neat. Oh well.

I'm with you. It at least attempts to portray some scale and balance. It may not do said scale and balance particularly well, but at least it isn't just this Revit crap for the 30,000th time

51323000362_979ee68b95_h.jpg

Back