Residential/Retail Development | 2400 Mass Ave | Cambridge

bigpicture7

Reaction score
I believe we've discussed early proposals for this in infill/small project thread. Formal proposal has now posted to the Special Permits site in Cambridge:

24ma-1-1.png

24ma-1-2.png

24ma-1-3.png

See "Application Graphics" package for further renders:
PB403 Application – Graphics

Mucky Kids has a sign posted in their window about their move to Arlington center this month.

Edit: Backy Artists was also using their location and has moved to Arlington. Mucky Kids is closing this month.

Last edited:
It helps color code the development projects: New projects are sage green. Flips are black/white/gray.

I live immediately across the street from this site so it'll be annoying personally, but I'll try and keep folks updated on this!
I used to live at 2433 Mass Ave, diagonally across Mass Ave from this project, back in the late 1960s on the 3rd floor of this building, since replaced by a new apartment building:

1718469571466.png

Is this the largest proposed multi-family development in Cambridge rn that isn't otherwise part of a larger master plan? E.g. Alewife, CX, Volpe...?

Also, nearly $10K for the special permit fee, oof:

1718489388293.png

The corrugated metal cladding is distinctive for the area. It should break up the standard masonry or Hardie board of the recent developments. I predict the neighbors will complain that it looks like a stack of shipping containers.

It looks like the Habitat complex at the 1967 Montreal World's Fair:

View attachment 51504
I rather thought they were going for BIG's Mountain Dwelling.
1000034028.jpg

The corrugated metal cladding is distinctive for the area. It should break up the standard masonry or Hardie board of the recent developments. I predict the neighbors will complain that it looks like a stack of shipping containers.
You're absolutely right - I've previously said that to my neighbors. :LOL: But seriously, while I do like the massing, when combined with a uniform corrugated metal finish it is uncanny. Any other cladding scheme probably wouldn't immediately draw that comparison. Frankly, I'm hoping for less of it, and more of the wood effect - While I'm cautiously optimistic, I don't want to feel like I'm living next to Conley right after an Evergreen ship made port.

The thread we have going is here; I think we'd also discussed it prior to that in infill/small projects before it was formalized

@vanshnookenraggen or @BeeLine , could you possibly merge Equilibria's excellent set of render images, above, into the existing thread and retire this one?

I searched every which way I could think of and still missed it. Yes, please merge.

The thread we have going is here; I think we'd also discussed it prior to that in infill/small projects before it was formalized

@vanshnookenraggen or @BeeLine , could you possibly merge Equilibria's excellent set of render images, above, into the existing thread and retire this one?

Dm someone directly asking or else it gets missed unfortunately, we have a bunch of duplicate threads now for this reason.

I searched every which way I could think of and still missed it. Yes, please merge.

I’m not sure if you tried this, but for some reason the search here has been sucking for a while so if I cant find something here I type its name on google followed by archboston and it usually comes up.

Last edited:

Back