Ritzy downtown daycare

Smuttynose

Reaction score
An Italian daycare company that provides childcare services for wealthy families in Europe is planning its United States launch for Downtown Boston. The Purchase St. building will feature a gourmet Italian restaurant, where downtown workers can meet their kids for lunch, and high tech webcam and facial recognition features that will allow parents to check in on their kids through their computers at work. I believe the upper floors are reserved for office space. Khalsa Design, out of Somerville, designed the building. The company, which I believe is called the Matarazzo Group, is planning similar facilities for New York and D.C.

Purchase01a.jpg

Purchase02a.jpg

Glitzy!

Where is this, exactly?

I really dig that postmodern part on the right but why wimp out with that boring glass tower?

Where did these renderings come from? I looked for the Italian group you mentioned and found their site but found nothing on it that relates to this.

Is this a new building or an addition to an existing one? If it's a new building, what's there now?

Wow, this fronts directly onto the Greenway. Is this the first example of a pre-existing building on the Greenway being replaced with something much larger? If that is the case, there are many other candidates for replacement on this side of the corridor. In 30 years, when all of the parking garages have been replaced, its going to be an impressive stroll.

Although the rendering looks almost like an adaptive re-use of an old building, a picture of what's standing there now seems to refute this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=175+P...h&z=19&om=1&layer=c&cbll=42.353996,-71.053888

The 3/4-story bass does seem to mimic the style of what is there now. I don't particularly like that glass half-arch thing at the top - it reminds me of something I might have made with my legos as a kid.

This is exactly the kind of development I'd want to see on this block -- no million-plus-square-foot project that requires fascadectomy of half a dozen buildings, just a small scale/footprint project with (hopefully) some attention to detail.

The Gmaps street view, smack dab in the middle:

sadfoj5.jpg

And a bonus: this project will (partially) block the party wall to that dark red 1920s-era structure just behind it.

Hmmm. I'm surprised this development is still on tap ... there is nothing on the BRA site (that I could find, which, frankly, might not mean much!).

At one point, there was a residential condo project announced for this, but I think it was canceled.

Smuttynose, what is your source?

Thanks.

Wow, this is an interesting project. This seems to be such a spontaneous project... I think a tower right there will look good though.

^I work for a small newspaper and recently interviewed the architect for a story. He mentioned the project and e-mailed me some renderings. He sent me some interior shots as well that I'll post when I get into my work e-mail on Wed.

sweet.
this will be a great project.
hope more turn out to improve the Greenway.

Footprint's nice and small.

More like this, please.

Back