Riverside Development | 333 Grove Street | Newton

Developers thinking lab space is the answer is becoming a meme at this point. The article also notes that other developers want to convert to lab space the former Liberty Mutual offices just south of the Pike enterance as well as Riverside Center (albeit weirdly doesn't mention it by name).

Developers thinking lab space is the answer is becoming a meme at this point. The article also notes that other developers want to convert to lab space the former Liberty Mutual offices just south of the Pike enterance as well as Riverside Center (albeit weirdly doesn't mention it by name).

Correct.

1618591157178.png

It's not a true meme until we see renders with forests and hanging gardens from every balcony/terrace. You know, the kind that never show up once built.

The Riverside Liaison Committee has been receiving updated renders of many of the buildings. Lots of value engineering here to remove the Disney-esque aspect of some of Jeff Speck's drawings, but I wouldn't say it looks bad. Put back the canopy and signage at the station entrance, though.

Buildings 1 and 2:

1644928567454.png

1644928594166.png

1644928609237.png

1644928624216.png

1644928638873.png

Buildings 7-10: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mjnGRQ_8i6Tnh2nhk5iwOAfqYd_69O0X/view

1644928678468.png

1644928694374.png

1644928709828.png

1644928724612.png

1644928748183.png

1644928765238.png

1644928782865.png

1644928802170.png

1644928821856.png

1644928838371.png

The architecture is a bit "Anywhere, America" now but I'm still all on for the density and concept of the development.

Having these townhouses below replaced with the building above is definitely a huge loss. That being said everybody knew this was going to be changed multiple times before its built, thats just the way it is. Some parts I do think are an improvement and others like this example are a downgrade. Overall still an incredible project that Im extremely glad were actually getting. Hopefully this is a catalyst for more TOD projects in the future.

Riverside_Station_Development.jpg

Last edited:
Having these townhouses below replaced with the building above is definitely a huge loss. That being said everybody knew this was going to be changed multiple times before its built, thats just the way it is. Some parts I do think are an improvement and others like this example are a downgrade. Overall still an incredible project that Im extremely glad were actually getting. Hopefully this is a catalyst for more TOD projects in the future.

Riverside_Station_Development.jpg

The townhouses are technically still there, just all-white now and simplified.

I guess I should have specified that that was what I meant. I wasnt saying they were gone just that what they were replaced with was a downgrade. Both of them are a single building divided into townhouses, so thats what I meant by the building that replaced them. Still a great project overall.

Is the approval process over for Newton? After all the sturm und drang, they're getting an ugly mess with serious Midwest office park vibes.

Is the approval process over for Newton? After all the sturm und drang, they're getting an ugly mess with serious Midwest office park vibes.

It does seem like it's taken them a long time. Converting the office space designs to work better as lab must take some time.

It does seem like it's taken them a long time. Converting the office space designs to work better as lab must take some time.

This was approved in October and re-approved in January, I think. This is now construction drawings and neighborhood comment on those.

And I don't think this looks like a Midwest office park - it looks like Northland's development.

This was approved in October and re-approved in January, I think. This is now construction drawings and neighborhood comment on those.

And I don't think this looks like a Midwest office park - it looks like Northland's development.

I had to go back and look and I agree, it's similar to Northland. Still, there's something annoyingly anodyne about this, like inoffensive...in a pushy way? Maybe I'm nuts.

I think in general. From this very thread, the first approval was in 2013.

Alucobond and glue, alternating and random windows. At least the MBTA is getting some cash.

That was for a different project. This one is approved.

It's still the same project. They just keep redoing it. The original plan was approved too.

I think the thing I would worry about is them cancelling it entirely or only doing the lab buildings and nothing else.

Back