Rose Kennedy Greenway

If you haven't had a chance to check out Rose Town Kitchen & Bar on the second floor of the new Canopy Hotel -- I can't comment on the food -- but it's a great spot to grab a drink, people watch, enjoy the Greenway views, and ponder what Boston looked like when a big elevated expressway dominated the landscape (these are from Saturday) --
20230513_181249.jpg
20230513_175745.jpg
20230513_180400.jpg
20230513_181735.jpg
20230513_183409.jpg
20230513_183121.jpg

If you haven't had a chance to check out Rose Town Kitchen & Bar on the second floor of the new Canopy Hotel -- I can't comment on the food -- but it's a great spot to grab a drink, people watch, enjoy the Greenway views, and ponder what Boston looked like when a big elevated expressway dominated the landscape (these are from Saturday) --View attachment 37900View attachment 37901View attachment 37902View attachment 37903View attachment 37904View attachment 37905
How right you are -thanks for the tip!
B4191922-2BA7-43AE-9756-42FBC9E843EE.jpeg

You know what would be great on the Greenway? A museum/cultural center run by Historic New England. A place to show off their amazing collection of artifacts to the widest possible audience.

Oh, Haverhill? That's nice too.

You know what would be great on the Greenway? A museum/cultural center run by Historic New England. A place to show off their amazing collection of artifacts to the widest possible audience.

Oh, Haverhill? That's nice too.

Attachments

• B7581840-2FB3-4AAE-890C-9ACF96AB7B2A.png
    B7581840-2FB3-4AAE-890C-9ACF96AB7B2A.png
    495.7 KB · Views: 33
I don't know how successful the new little North Meadow pocket park is going to be. Accessing it from the rest of the Greenway is interesting. It's separated from the North End parks by an alphabet soup of I-93 ramps. You walk on a narrow little sidewalk along Cross Street past the ramps.

I have very frequently walked routes from across the river (Charlestown and Lechmere areas) to points downtown, and the whole stretch from the Charles until the first landscaped parcel of the Greenway may be some of my least favorite parts of Boston on foot. It's always a nightmare to even start thinking out which way to walk that will be less frustrating, more expedient, and more aesthetically pleasant. North Washington St. Bridge, the locks, and the Museum of Science sidewalk are all pretty miserable pedestrian experiences, and then everything surrounding the Bullfinch Triangle is an abject nightmare. The garage demolition has made it worse, the temporary bridge has made it worse, but even before both I frequently wished I could just black out for 10 minutes and wake up on the grass of the greenway. I have no suggested solutions, it's so bad.

if you do, your pic is bound to be 500x more in focus than mine!
LOL, I took that to be an effort to illustrate the view after a few too many gin & tonics!

Seriously, though, I will need to check this out, and I also think these pictures, especially those taken by @Smuttynose really illustrate just how special the Greenway has become. I was definitely a Greenway skeptic 10 years ago, but as the gardens have grown and matured, I think it's become a really great public space, and is clearly well utilized.

LOL, I took that to be an effort to illustrate the view after a few too many gin & tonics!

Seriously, though, I will need to check this out, and I also think these pictures, especially those taken by @Smuttynose really illustrate just how special the Greenway has become. I was definitely a Greenway skeptic 10 years ago, but as the gardens have grown and matured, I think it's become a really great public space, and is clearly well utilized.
I believe Gordon Ramsey Burger is opening next week on the ground floor of that hotel.

I hope it's better than his restaurant in the Mandarin Oriental, because my only experience there was pretty lackluster.
It'll be perfectly suited to the most unabashedly touristy part of town. (Yes, it'll be overpriced TGI Friday's fare.)

Some views walking along the Rose Kennedy Greenway (and short distances on side streets for better camera angles). Because of its 1.5 mile linear fashion, this outstanding park is like a runway platform for exhibiting architecture. It may be one of a limited number of American cities with a park showing off a city’s skyline, up close and personal.

4G5UMtyh.jpg

NIQiJTBh.jpg

nAR2s4ph.jpg

ClMwR9xh.jpg

5UwqLO4h.jpg

yvtwwLqh.jpg

iisNnBbh.jpg

RT9gVRyh.jpg

XKetz7Rh.jpg

vdD85poh.jpg

xmBUDqoh.jpg

M00lYqHh.jpg

GWppP82h.jpg

KU8Qa6yh.jpg

zXPt77rh.jpg

BwbMJFBh.jpg

h1kPrMBh.jpg

zsN7du8h.jpg

quyqA9Th.jpg

T4CyT1xh.jpg

Some views walking along the Rose Kennedy Greenway (and short distances on side streets for better camera angles). Because of its 1.5 mile linear fashion, this outstanding park is like a runway platform for exhibiting architecture. It may be one of a limited number of American cities with a park showing off a city’s skyline, up close and personal.

Agree. Just need to get rid of the Harbor Garage! Still aghast the city is holding on to that oversized, right-angled barnacle.

(Plus would be amazing to see the Cross Street Parking Lot and Dock Street Garage redeveloped ... but, hey, one thing at a time.)

I know these are almost identical to previous posts, but it is a cool spot to watch the world go by (food was good too). Also, it's a shame that the large roof deck belongs to Ramsay's burger joint; I have a hard time giving my money to a celebrity chef's establishment.
20231008_162226-EDIT.jpg
20231008_174842-EDIT.jpg
20231008_161044.jpg

Back