Route 9 boom

Reaction score
Housing, office, retail in the Route 9 area is booming with millions of square feet of new construction and traffic.

"Developers are laying the groundwork for nearly 5 million square feet of office space near I-495, about equal to the space in five Prudential towers. About half of the total would be a 2.2 million-square-foot expansion by EMC".

"The Natick Collection (n?e Natick Mall) will launch a supersized, 2.1 million-square-foot living and shopping complex -- with Neiman Marcus and the state's first Nordstrom -- in the fall".

"The developer who built the Atrium in Newton now plans a new complex for the Omni supermarket site farther east on Route 9. Preliminary plans call for three condominium buildings (two of them high-rise), a block of retail stores, and a grocery store".

"Six of the state's top 10 publicly traded companies are situated in or near the I-495 corridor, and 10 percent of the state's workforce commutes to the region. The combination generates a $15 billion annual payroll".

"If the communities along Route 9 develop available space to capacity, the region's population could jump from 265,000 to 334,000. The number of people working in the region could more than double to 450,000 by 2030, according to the commission".

"I expect we'll see more vertical growth in the future, said Kathy Bartolini, Framingham's director of economic development".

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/04/29/clogged_artery/?page=1

Back