Russia/Atlantic Wharf appreciation thread

JSic

Reaction score
I dont think that this development got the credit that it deserved. They did an excellent job of preserving the facades on 3 old buildings, and the tower is handsome (albeit short, but tall-ish by Boston standards).

This is also the one legit highrise that got snuck in during the down period.

I like it.

Edit: Maybe this is a thread for the existing development forum. Oops.

building1.jpg

9-11-12_boston-stock_5390-145%20copy.jpg

8-28-10_Boston_Stock_4791-278%20copy.jpg

Last edited:
Agree..........A beautiful Addition to the Rose Kennedy Greenway.

I would rather see a dark Blue Light instead of that White Bright Light they have on the top. But overall Russia Wharf was a good development.

It stands out, looks good coming up from the expressway from the south or coming up the harbor by boat. My 8 year old was quite taken with some of the interactive sculputres in the lobby.

The old Russia Wharf buildings worked as well, but location, location, location.

Wait, aren't these posts only for negative reviews?

I also love this development. Looks great at night, tons of active street-level stuff going on.

Seems like an idea that could be used elsewhere in the city to drop a tower on some existing facades, thus maintaining the great architecture but allowing the city to continue to expand.

For what it is worth, I like most of the ground floor facade.

Agree. The street-level of this development is a model of how to do it right. Also, they did an awesome job integrating old facades and buildings with the new.

Yeah, the quality of materials and level of detailing found on most of the ground floor really set it apart from most recent construction in the city.

I'll third that notion. The tower portion does nothing for me--neither good nor bad--but the ground level looks fantastic. Lobby is easily one of the best public/private spaces in the city as well.

I agree. I also think the outdoor spaces are pretty well done. Combined with the IC, the two plazas make for a nice front porch to the financial district. (or is it a back porch?)

Lobby is easily one of the best public/private spaces in the city as well.

:rolleyes:

On a related note, remaining positive for this thread...

Atlantic Wharf's ground floor retail environment is laudable.

Also positive are contributions toward exterior civic amenities (dock, fix Congress St. bridge, Childrens Museum park) and also $500k toward programming, as required by MassDEP under tidelands regulations.

And another +1 for the Boston Society of Architects' exhibit space.

I thought this was the best project of 2011, almost entirely for the preservation/re-activation of the existing buildings. I think the tower's proportions are wonky, at least from the north/south. The lighting is ridiculous, in that the tower is so stumpy and it's the brightest, flashiest thing in the skyline. All it does is call attention to its inadequacies. It's like a dumpy flabby woman/man wearing a g-string on a crowded beach.

I like it as well. How the Dainty Dot debacle should have been.

The only bad thing I've said about this building is how the bottom of the "sword" thingy doesn't light up. Seriously, what the hell?

7000997206_2ed9672967_z.jpg

The one dark section at the bottom really bugs me.

EDIT: Photo by GMACK24.

Back