San Diego Impressions and reasons why boston is great

P

Patrick

I just returned from San Diego. Sure, it was nice weather out there, but thats it. The northeast, weather and all, has by far the most urbanized (in the truest sense of the word) and sophisticated cities I have seen in any corner of the country (have not been to the northwest, and for me that means san fran and up). Flying over atlanta I was very impressed. lots of lights. way more than boston. or so i thought. But the closer you get, the more you realize that most of the lights you see are not attached to buildings of any significance. it looked upon further investigation to be a city of wharehouses and one-story gas stations, with a very dense downtown of skyscrapers jutting out of a sea of street lights. What a terrible way to live. Perhaps every city i flew over on my way out west was the same way. pheonix on the way home was as bad if not worse. rows after rows of suburban housing in the middle of the desert followed by an odd looking downtown with no connection to anything it seemed. you can tell a lot about a place from the air. These southern and wesatern cities have gone mad. they are the so called "elastic" cities that capture most of their suburban growth by expanding (like anchorage) to encapsulate the whole county or nearly that much, thereby making so-called wiser planning decisions as a result of a more unified approach, but in my opinion, they are examples of planning gone wrong. do people know what im getting at or am i making no sense? the cities in the northeast are so much more urban than those elsewhere it feels. even my own very small portland, maine seemed in many respects more urban than san diego, with its 70 miles of beach, 80 miles of gas stations and paint stores, 90 miles of half occupied condo high rises, and 100 miles of motels. what has "urban america" come to? Boston, new york, hartford, portland, even a place like portsmouth, they all have it made in terms of being true cities (though obviously in very different ways, given size differentials). the west represents something different, i dont know that one can accurately call san diego or pheonix or atlanta cities...more like seas of neighborhoods fronted by really tall buildings parading around as acting city fronts......too late, hope you guys know what i mean. man am i glad to be back home. for one of the most rural states, even maine beats a south west city!

Did you spend any time downtown? Gaslamp district etc? I quite liked San Diego when I was there. Virtually every parking lot has a 'coming soon' sign on it for some new development. In a few years the downtown will be quite developed. When I left Boston I considered only San Diego and San Francisco as alternatives (I HATE winter beyond belief... :) )

yeah dont get me wrong, the downtown has some extremely nice parts, and many parts that look up-and-coming. I did check out the gas lamp district. very nice urban mall outside there (well, roofless, if that cuonts as being outside).

its funny because when i see too much development i think it is bad. its almost as if things are being built on speculation and might be subject to a market bust, thus leaving open the potential for most of the new high rise condo towers going up to be empty/vacant in the future. that wouldnt be good. but who knows, san diego seems like it is a city that might be immune to the market because of weather. but when things are thrown up too fast in a city i get the feeling that the neighborhood life that will result is unpredictable and i didnt like that. but i definitely did not mean to say san diego sucked, it was just way less desirable for me to check out than a city like boston, which before visiting atlanta and san diego i thought was kinda not that well off.

also, the thing is that regardless of the booming gas lamp district, the rest of the city is kind of a slum. so unless you want to live in the tourist section of town, most of the business you conduct (grocery shopping, gas stations, strip plazas) will all be in a long chain of sprawl a hundred miles from the downtown (where most of the people live). that is of course, unless you are supr rich, in which case you will live a fabuolous life style in any so cal environment. the fashion valley mall was spectacular (i know i know, im supposed to hate malls cause i like cities and malls are in the burbs, but this one was great).

Back