SE Expressway

mass88

Reaction score
As I am sure many of you experience, the SE expressway, no matter which way you are going during rush hour, is a terrible stretch of highway. The stretch I am referring to is from Boston to Braintree.

My father mentioned to me that the reason this highway was not widened was because the SW Expressway was expected to be built. But My question is why after it was shot down, did the state government not widen the SE Expressway?
To only have 3 lanes in one direction during rush hour with no breakdown lane is terrible on a major artery to Boston.

I would think 4 full lanes in each direction along with a full breakdown lane in each direction with a dedicated center HOV lane with a full lane and a full breakdown lane would improve the situation.

In any event, how likely is a widening project ever to happen?

No highway should be widened. It would be environmentally destructive and would require taking land from residents and businesses. The money should be spent instead on improving commuter rail and subway service.

The experimental use of the breakdown lanes as travel lanes during rush hours seems to be successful, and perhaps should be expanded to other highways.

You widen a highway, it's just gonna fill up again and need more widening. Better to spend the money on mass transit.

You widen a highway, it's just gonna fill up again and need more widening. Better to spend the money on mass transit.

I understand your points. What I was thinking was just creating a solid stretch of highway. If what I mentioned were to happen, it would only really be adding a breakdown lane on both sides and adding one lane for the dedicated HOV rather than taking a lane away from either direction.

The big dig has improved SE X-Way traffic however there is still traffic. In my opinion the traffic is caused by a few specific areas that could possibly be fixed:
1. Obviously the Braintree Split: The new on/ramps off ramps under construction in Quincy may help this. I also though route 3 to cape cod was getting widened.
2. Northbound Exits 18+20 before downtown always seem to cause problems during AM commute once you get past those the road is clear.
3. Southbound during PM commute there seem to be a couple issues:
  • Exit 18 to Mass Ave, traffic going from far left lane to right exit makes it tough, also other on ramps make it worse. Then there is a constant stream of traffic entering xway from HOV lane then a little further down Mass Ave. Bad design.
  • The Neponset Circle area (worse on X-Way south)is another bad backup area. Think Additional on ramps and off ramps would help: maybe an On ramp to X-Way North at Morrisey Blvd. Or an offramp X-Way Southbound near IBEW area.
I think adding a lane is not an option although some more breakdown areas would be good. Remember from about Neponset Circle to Gas tanks is an elevated highway and its elevated again near Globe and UMASS T.

Ofcourse we could put the highway undergound from Neponset to South Bay, Right???? Then put a park above it!!!

I drive to/From Boston everyday on the SE X-Way. Going north in AM traffic clears up after Zipper lane merges w/93N and the only reason it slow up after that is backup to the Logan, Southie,E-Berkely Street Exits.

Heading South it usually starts to backup at East Milton Sq.

On the rare occassion the zipper lane traffic is stopped due to a disabled vehicle in the zipper its smooth sailing on the X-Way.

So is the Zipper Lane helping or hurting???

I can see the SE X-way (haha!) from my desk at work, and everyday pity the souls that have that as part of their routine. BUT honestly the last thing this city needs to invest in is making it a better place for driving..... If anything take two lanes away and give acela a ROW it can actually utilize

I think the zipper lane hurts. You give the peak direction another lane to jam up by taking a lane from the off-peak direction, causing that side to jam up as well. At least this is what I see every time I'm driving there during rush hour. Your results may vary.

I'd love to see breakdown lanes but it's just too narrow going through E. Milton Sq. You'd have to cut Adams & Granite down a lane permanently (and more during construction), and all the bridges and decking would need to be replaced.

I think the zipper lane hurts. You give the peak direction another lane to jam up by taking a lane from the off-peak direction, causing that side to jam up as well. At least this is what I see every time I'm driving there during rush hour. Your results may vary.

I'd love to see breakdown lanes but it's just too narrow going through E. Milton Sq. You'd have to cut Adams & Granite down a lane permanently (and more during construction), and all the bridges and decking would need to be replaced.

The HOV lane used on the SE Expressway is a joke. It causes massive traffic inbound from 3-7 pm every night, when the HOV lane is opened for outbound traffic. I have always thought an elevated HOV lane would help fix the problem.

Back