SKY Everett | 114 Spring Street | Everett

To be fair, it'd be shorter than nearby One Mystic.

I’ll just leave this here:

"The building property is currently an underused industrial site at 114 Spring St., along 2nd Street and nearly one mile from the new Chelsea commuter rail station that is under construction. The Sky Everett site could eventually be on a Silver Line rapid-transit bus route if the Silver Line gets extended into Everett as proposed."

In case you want to see what the tower actually looks like:
Sky Tower Everett (skyeverett.com)

Mod, please rename to "Sky Tower Everett | 114 Spring Street | Everett"...

The branding on this is the same branding as the building the evil developer wants to tear down the puppy school for in an 80s movie.

1614736750640.png

1614736764310.png

1614736774229.png

Last edited:
That is in the middle of a dumpy industrial area. Any other nearby projects?

Maybe your argument is that none of this happens, but this proposal is not out of left field.

and i plan on building and living in a replica of versailles but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. everett will fill in some in the long run - i mean path of progress right - but it won't be with high rise development or ground floor retail that's not like billy's beef shop. that triangle has access issues and the unit economics won't support high rise.

I mean my understanding is that when one north of boston was sold it was a really challenging process for Redgate to sell an institutional property in chelsea - and that's arguably much better located with tobin bridge and adjacent rail access.

This is not a speculative long term plan. Its happening now. The area has OK to poor transit. But its the only place near Boston that is allowing large scale development and so far that seems to be enough. Everett is the short term future of urbanism in the region. Woburn is the longer term hot spot. But thats for a different thread.

Yeah it won't ever be Assembly level of activity, but I could see this being another Station Landing. And that's not the worst thing in the world.

I applaud the gumption.

We need people to stick their necks out a bit, put forward bold plans, and go beyond the low resistance option. That’s how our cities were built in the first place and it’s the only way out of our current across-the-board high-cost for low-quality situation.

The pin for "Second & Vine" is bit far north. The development is centered a bit further south (see below pic for reference):

1602528464624-png.7738

I've noted this on the 1690 Revere Beach Parkway thread and Elan Everett thread last Fall: the intensity of new development happening in this corner of Everett is perhaps the most under-the-radar transformation in our region. Add to the mix the SLX study underway and the City of Everett's Opportunity Zone designation for this 100-acre master plan area, there will continue to be more development announcements here through the decade.

I think what I like most about all of these announced, under-construction, and recently opened projects in this corner of Everett is the developer diversification. While HYM is taking on the beast of a project at Suffolk Downs, Everett (and Chelsea) appear on track to accomplish a comparable scale of new development in a similarly-sized land area, all with multiple stakeholders/beneficiaries.

I applaud the gumption.

We need people to stick their necks out a bit, put forward bold plans, and go beyond the low resistance option. That’s how our cities were built in the first place and it’s the only way out of our current across-the-board high-cost for low-quality situation.

There’s a difference between sticking your neck out and proposing to light a pallet of cash on fire. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay new construction prices to live in this wasteland.

There’s a difference between sticking your neck out and proposing to light a pallet of cash on fire. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay new construction prices to live in this wasteland.
That's exactly what doubters said when Wynn Resorts purchased the Monsanto site last decade.
That's exactly what critics suggested to Federal Realty Investors before they took on redeveloping the Ford Assembly Plant site into Assembly Row.
That's exactly what landowners thought when investors quietly purchased 38 square miles of swampland in Central Florida to establish the Reedy Creek Improvement District, only to find out Walt Disney was behind the plan to establish a resort there.

I challenge you and others to unlearn whatever stigmas and history you assign to the built environment because there are no shortage of visionaries ready to make you eat your words otherwise.

That's exactly what doubters said when Wynn Resorts purchased the Monsanto site last decade.

And it’s largely been a commercial failure.

That's exactly what critics suggested to Federal Realty Investors before they took on redeveloping the Ford Assembly Plant site into Assembly Row.

Assembly had a lot more going for it with highway/transit access plus Somerville was already a desirable and gentrified community. That can’t really be said of Everett.

That's exactly what landowners thought when investors quietly purchased 38 square miles of swampland in Central Florida to establish the Reedy Creek Improvement District, only to find out Walt Disney was behind the plan to establish a resort there.

An irrelevant comparison.

If the developer wants to risk "light[ing] a pallet of cash on fire" he can be my guest. Its his and his partners' money and risk, not mine and not yours.

Again, our cities were built on speculative risk. We need riskers to push the envelope.

Back