Skyline & Aerial photos | Portland

View attachment 42422You selected a photo of one intersection of the very northern end of downtown to show the city. Nashua is much larger. This isn't the prettiest shot but gives you a better idea of the size of the downtown area.
That appears to a postcard view from the 1960's when Nashua only had 39,000 residents. It's population increased 42% in the 1970 census to 55,000. The downtown area is actually in the center top portion of the photo and fits a city of 40K and it really isn't much larger 60 years later with the exception of a 7 story office complex (Indian Head Bank) that was built in the early 80's. Center of downtown Nashua below and the city reminds me of a more refined and polished up version of Lewiston with less of an urban feel do to it's extremely wide Main Street.
Nashua_NH_Main_Street_53 2.jpg

Last edited:
I see someone did a Google image search and browsed Wikipedia. To call Nashua a "polished up version of Lewiston" is very misleading. While it has intentionally kept its downtown low-rise, all of the mills along the river are now home to professional/tech companies or market rate lofts. It's the home of BAE Systems with companies like Dell and Oracle also having large presence. Is it as urban as Portland? No, but to compare it to Lewiston is ridiculous.

That appears to a postcard view from the 1960's when Nashua only had 39,000 residents. It's population increased 42% in the 1970 census to 55,000. The downtown area is actually in the center top portion of the photo and fits a city of 40K and it really isn't much larger 60 years later with the exception of a 7 story office complex (Indian Head Bank) that was built in the early 80's. Center of downtown Nashua below and the city reminds me of a more refined and polished up version of Lewiston with less of an urban feel do to it's extremely wide Main Street.View attachment 42763

500px-Nashua_NH_Main_Street_50.JPG

This is the photo from Wikipedia which is not where I obtained mine so you are incorrect in your assumption. I said that Nashua reminds me of a REFINED and polished version of Lewiston and I stand by that statement. They are both traditional New England mill cities with historical populations almost identical as they were being planned and developed. My former girlfriend lived just outside of Nashua so I had the pleasure of dining and shopping downtown within the last year and I have been complimentary on the Nashua thread with some of it's new projects. When was the last time you spent quality time in Lewiston for comparison purposes? It also has improved over the last decade with much larger former mills that have been renovated with professional tech and banking firms, retail, restaurants and market rate residential opportunities. Hopefully any members who reside in Lewiston on this site are not offended by your impression of their fair city.

I'll say... predates both the Intermed building and the right-field Pavilion at Hadlock! According to milb.com, the latter was built in 2008.

I got nerd-sniped into figuring out the date for this photo – you can see Hannaford Hall on the USM campus under construction, which dates it to summer 2004:

Also, it may be dated, but it does do a nice job illustrating how much of a waste of waterfront real estate Exit 6 and the rest of I-295 are.

I'll say... predates both the Intermed building and the right-field Pavilion at Hadlock! According to milb.com, the latter was built in 2008.

I got nerd-sniped into figuring out the date for this photo – you can see Hannaford Hall on the USM campus under construction, which dates it to summer 2004:

Also, it may be dated, but it does do a nice job illustrating how much of a waste of waterfront real estate Exit 6 and the rest of I-295 are.

Back