South Station to bus terminal walkway

justin

Reaction score
T press release:
Improved Access Between Commuter Rail Service and the Bus Terminal At South Station
Start Date: 5/24/2006 End Date: 7/24/2006 E-Mail: lrivera@mbta.com

The MBTA is pleased to announce today an agreement with South Station Union LLC - Hines Development to build an enclosed walkway between the T's commuter rail service directly to the bus terminal. This walkway will serve temporarily as shelter for customers while Hines development works to create a user-friendlier path of travel between both modes of transportation.

Commenting on the many improvements slated for South Station, MBTA General Manager Daniel A. Grabauskas remarked, "Our investments will prove fruitful with the expansion of the bus terminal, additional docking gates for bus carriers, more retail space, and modifications to the ventilation, track and signal systems."

The enclosed walkway, which will extend from the platform closest to Atlantic Avenue, will be accessible to persons with disabilities including automatic doors and a ramp leading to the first level of the bus terminal. In addition to the convenience of both the elevator and escalator nearby, customers will be protected from inclement weather.

Construction of the walkway is scheduled to begin in June with completion slated for the end of July.
What does this tell us about SST construction?

justin

Sounds to me like they think the SST construction might be getting underway at some point and they want to be able to crane things over the current location of the stupid walkway.

SOUTH STATION | UPDATE
T ramps it up a notch with plan for dry path 'tween bus and rail
May 28, 2006
Fed up with commuters sandwiching onto a 4-foot-wide zigzagging ramp alongside South Station, the MBTA has devised a dry alternative for the trek between the rails and the adjacent bus depot.

Houston developer Hines Interests LP, which is overseeing an expansion of South Station and construction of a residential and hotel complex, has committed $100,000 to creating a new walkway protected from the elements. The passage would extend the canopy over Track 1 to cover all of adjacent Platform A , capped off by a new entrance to the bus depot and elevator access. Crews will break ground next month and the project's completion is expected by the end of July , the T's general manager Daniel A. Grabauskas wrote in an e-mail.
``The new walkway will provide a safe and protected passage between the two facilities," Grabauskas wrote.
Commuters crossing through the area last week were divided on the project's merits.
Cape Cod resident Susan Brauner said she felt the money could be put to better use. "The worst thing we have to do is walk on the street. I don't think that's a major inconvenience," she said. But Marshfield resident William Finn predicted it would be a drastic improvement. "It will encourage people to stay in one area; people won't go out and be confused where to go," he said.
The need for a new walkway was apparent, MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said, with luggage-toting travelers often crowding the handicap ramp while ignoring the Atlantic Avenue sidewalk. ``The only other option was to go onto Atlantic Ave. and come down on the sidewalk where you're exposed to the elements," he said.
So, a minor improvement, but one that can be made in real time. Grabauskas seems to be good at that.

At least *something* of the SST will be built.

justin

This was supposed to be built years ago, as a moving sidewalk. Is that still part of the plan?

If you look at the bus station's north fa?ade, it's evident that a 2nd floor walkway was supposed to enter it.

I walked between the train and bus stations yesterday, and saw no sign whatsoever of any construction. This is supposed to be finished at the end of July?

What has happened to this project? I see no progress whatsoever on the ground.

When I went though South Station over Christmas i saw that a "temporary" roof had been "constructed". Who knows what happened there.

vanshnookenraggen said:
When I went though South Station over Christmas i saw that a "temporary" roof had been "constructed". Who knows what happened there.

Sounds "great!" Can't "wait" to "use" it.

Not that I can see. Probably has to wait for the South Station Tower.

Back