South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Does anyone here seriously and genuinely like how it looks?

Well it depends... because people will actually see this..
fit

And this
PelliClark_15tower02_biz.jpg

And it looks pretty good.

But this
south-station_hres_web.jpg

Will never be seen unless by jetpack, or by vr goggles and a drone. So what it looks like from this perspective doesnt matter much, because besides this render nobody will ever see this perspective again. Once its built youll see it from many angles unshown, and including the 2 up above, but not this. I would like to see what it actually looks like from ground level in front of South Station though. The upward perspective will look different, how it affects the proportions Id like to know. Downburst used to make tons of models for the future skyline thread, maybe he could give us an idea.

-So from the extremely common angle of driving into the city on 93 it looks good, and then added to the skyline view from across the harbor it looks great. So from 2 angles that exist in reality it looks good and from a make believe jetpack angle it looks bad... so I guess that means I like it?

Last edited:
So I bet you don't use the commuter rail at all, do you?

Yes, i do use the Station. It's less than great. and cold.

Yeah, i was trying to put a good face on it.

It seems, now the suffering truly begins.

895 parking spaces

What a great use of the regional transit center!

i recall they made a reasonable case for 'em at the meetings.

Last edited:
Well it depends... because people will actually see this..

I will never see unless I own a jetpack, or vr goggles and a drone. So what it looks like from this perspective doesnt matter, because besides this render nobody will ever see this perspective. Once its built youll see it from many angles unshown, and including the 2 up above, but not this. I would like to see what it actually looks like from ground level in front of South Station though. The upward perspective will look different, how it affects the proportions Id like to know. Downburst used to make tons of models for the future skyline thread, maybe he could give us an idea.

-So from the extremely common angle of driving into the city on 93 it looks good, and then added to the skyline view from across the harbor it looks great. So from 2 angles that exist in reality it looks good and from a make believe jetpack angle it looks bad... so I guess that means I like it?

I agree that this is the most important view

HF01170205LG.jpg

But this
south-station_hres_web.jpg

Will never be seen unless by jetpack, or by vr goggles and a drone. So what it looks like from this perspective doesnt matter much, because besides this render nobody will ever see this perspective again. Once its built youll see it from many angles unshown, and including the 2 up above, but not this. I would like to see what it actually looks like from ground level in front of South Station though. The upward perspective will look different, how it affects the proportions Id like to know. Downburst used to make tons of models for the future skyline thread, maybe he could give us an idea.

Unfortunately, there are a few views along the Greenway (cough, 99 High ST, cough) that will see (almost) that view.

This is also one of those buildings that could grow on us. 200 Clarendon isn't regarded as beautiful when viewed broadside, but I've learned to love its shimmering blue expanse nearly as much as its narrow, faceted sides...

DZ,

Covered before; it was originally listed to rise 691' some years ago. Then it was noted this was the above sea height. In recent years, the authority decided the ocean had risen by a few inches. So they rounded it down to 690.

This is why the tower was lowered from 678' to 677'. At the meetings, this was mentioned--and that the tower will be 677' above the street to the tip (690' above the sea).

DZ,

Covered before; it was originally listed to rise 691' some years ago. Then it was noted this was the above sea height. In recent years, the authority decided the ocean had risen by a few inches. So they rounded it down to 690.

This is why the tower was lowered from 678' to 677'. At the meetings, this was mentioned--and that the tower will be 677' above the street to the tip (690' above the sea).

Yet in the link, the total height AMSL is listed as 703'. I take it you did not click on the link.

I'm not in love with the design, but at least it's happening. The phasing is going to make SS suck for a long long time.

The head on view will probably be OK.

I guess our resident tower enthusiasts should be happy. 1 Congress and this will likely be going up in the same time frame. Maybe even 1000 Boylston (or whatever number that thing is down there).

Yet in the link, the total height AMSL is listed as 703'. I take it you did not click on the link.

That's very interesting. Great work.

Not only to outdo yourself but, can you keep an eye out for the filing for 1 Congress (Office).

...The phasing is going to make SS suck for a long long time...

^Yes; very strong likelihood/inevitability of this.

Does anyone have memories/recollections of the impact on North Station of building the (FleetCenter) Garden? I was in my teens but certainly wasn't a regular commuter/wasn't paying attention.

At a surface level, there seem to be a ton of logistical similarities with this project and I wonder how it was handled?

From the 1st post in this thread:
The plan to redevelop South Station first came about in 1963. In 1984 the MBTA, BRA and Federal Railroad Administration announced the plan to redevelop the site into a major transportation and commercial center. In 1991, the BRA designated TUDC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Tufts University, as the developer of the air rights above South Station.

TUDC selected Hines to be its co-developer in October 1997 and later selected Cesar Pelli & Associates Inc. of New Haven, Conn. as the design architect.

So the roots of this project go all the way back to 1963 but the current plan dates to 1997. That's insane.

Has any study been done on the effect on the commuter rail and Amtrack. 25k people a day use the commuter rail from here, plus 1.5 million a year who use Amtrak.

Will most of the disruption occur on the weekend?

I agree that they shouldnt allow this to start until the south station expansion into the post office is finished.

I agree that they shouldnt allow this to start until the south station expansion into the post office is finished.

Yes, let's be sure to put this off by another 10 years right when they're finally ready to build.

Has any study been done on the effect on the commuter rail and Amtrack. 25k people a day use the commuter rail from here, plus 1.5 million a year who use Amtrak.

Will most of the disruption occur on the weekend?

Yes. Not sure about the specifics, but negotiations over impacts have lasted the last year-and-a-half.

Yes, let's be sure to put this off by another 15~20 years.....

Intercity bus riders should have to deal with higher prices and worse service until a 1 billion dollar expansion that serves no capacity purpose and prevents development of even more land is constructed? Seems bad.

Isn't this supposedly what is going to fund the SSX? Also, the SSX isn't happening for a long time.

Back