South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Its great that this finally appears to be happening. Maybe the Copley Tower could be revived next.

Well it depends... because people will actually see this..
fit

And this
PelliClark_15tower02_biz.jpg

And it looks pretty good of.

But this
south-station_hres_web.jpg

Will never be seen unless by jetpack, or by vr goggles and a drone. So what it looks like from this perspective doesnt matter much, because besides this render nobody will ever see this perspective again. Once its built youll see it from many angles unshown, and including the 2 up above, but not this. I would like to see what it actually looks like from ground level in front of South Station though. The upward perspective will look different, how it affects the proportions Id like to know. Downburst used to make tons of models for the future skyline thread, maybe he could give us an idea.

-So from the extremely common angle of driving into the city on 93 it looks good, and then added to the skyline view from across the harbor it looks great. So from 2 angles that exist in reality it looks good and from a make believe jetpack angle it looks bad... so I guess that means I like it?

Looks like half of the Trump Tower in Chicago!! :confused:

From the 1st post in this thread:

So the roots of this project go all the way back to 1963 but the current plan dates to 1997. That's insane.

^Insane is quite accurate: I was 2 years old in 1963, and crawling around South Station in a diaper, and now I'm approaching 60, and ready for a hip replacement. Can't wait to attend the ground-breaking ceremony in my power-chair.

(I know what you're thinking...why was I allowed to crawl around a busy train station?) :)

But this
south-station_hres_web.jpg

Will never be seen unless by jetpack, or by vr goggles and a drone. So what it looks like from this perspective doesnt matter much, because besides this render nobody will ever see this perspective again. Once its built youll see it from many angles unshown, and including the 2 up above, but not this. I would like to see what it actually looks like from ground level in front of South Station though. The upward perspective will look different, how it affects the proportions Id like to know. Downburst used to make tons of models for the future skyline thread, maybe he could give us an idea.

-So from the extremely common angle of driving into the city on 93 it looks good, and then added to the skyline view from across the harbor it looks great. So from 2 angles that exist in reality it looks good and from a make believe jetpack angle it looks bad... so I guess that means I like it?

Keystone Bldg,
125 High Street
1 International Place

all with variations of this view on scores of floors.

Last edited:
If this causes substantial disruption to weekday operation of the commuter rail at south station it should not be built.

This is the first time that I've ever felt like a NIMBY. However South Station is the most important rail hub in the state. I agree that maybe we should wait until the SSX to build something here. Unless of course this can be built with minimal disruption.

And I don't use South Station often, but I do use North Station daily.

Keystone Bldg,
125 High Street
1 International Place

all with variations of this view on scores of floors.

...so as I was saying 99.9999% of people who see this tower, will not be from this view.

But millions upon millions will see it from the view from 93N where it looks fine, from the harbor, and the missing view of entering/leaving South Station.

Waiting for the SSX to happen in order to build this is freakin' absurd. You want to piss away millions in tax revenue waiting for an event to happen that doesn't even have a start date in sight, let alone an end date?

Waiting for the SSX to happen in order to build this is freakin' absurd. You want to piss away millions in tax revenue waiting for an event to happen that doesn't even have a start date in sight, let alone an end date?

How is this wonderful tax revenue going to help every commuter that suffers 3 or so years of bullshit so this ugly glass penis and its 893 parking spots can be built?

How is this wonderful tax revenue going to help every commuter that suffers 3 or so years of bullshit so this ugly glass penis and its 893 parking spots can be built?

It probably doesn't, but many of us dealt with the big dig and lived to tell the tale. Take solace in the fact that we will all survive this, too.

Have you done the commute at any time in the last 10 years? IT ALREADY SUCKS! You're acting like the T has the reliability of the Paris metro or something. Between the random delays because half the T employees called in sick, non stop "switching problems", damaged track up ahead (that was today's delay) and subway stations that smell like a urinal (DTX) are you really going to notice if they're building above the tracks at south station? In the meantime you're giving up badly needed tax revenue which could be put towards improving transit for a mythical project that has a better than not chance of never happening. There's not even a deal in place, let alone a timeline, for the Post Office to leave the space.

I'd say keeping south station is worth millions, wouldn't call it "pissing away millions".

this ^^^

jesus christ, what a bunch of whiny babies. my whole neighborhood is barely navigable and will be that way for at least two and a half years due to GLX and - guess what? - i and others are finding ways to manage and i'm happy to do so, given the end net-positive. we don't even know what type of disruptions (if ANY) to commuter rail service will take place and people are already pearl-clutching and getting all twisted. calm down.

I'd say keeping south station is worth millions, wouldn't call it "pissing away millions".

? - Where is south station going? If you don't build above south station, you are losing millions in tax revenue for a needless delay revolving around a project (SSX) who's start date isn't even known, if ever.

this ^^^

jesus christ, what a bunch of whiny babies. my whole neighborhood is barely navigable and will be that way for at least two and a half years due to GLX and - guess what? - i and others are finding ways to manage and i'm happy to do so, given the end net-positive. we don't even know what type of disruptions (if ANY) to commuter rail service will take place and people are already pearl-clutching and getting all twisted. calm down.

South Station is the equivalent to the mass pike or I93, not local streets in Somerville.

Anyway, the green line be a big improvement for residents, another tower won't.

? - Where is south station going? If you don't build above south station, you are losing millions in tax revenue for a needless delay revolving around a project (SSX) who's start date isn't even known, if ever.

Keeping it running well was my point, or avoiding disruption.

this ^^^

Yeah, I'm kind of mystified by the panic levels here. Maybe GLX doesn't impact as many people, just as in my neighborhood the Casey overpass might have impacted a smaller number, but such projects are common and not insignificant in terms of disruption. People adjust, they deal. Not to mention, why are we so convinced it will be all that disruptive? Much of the prep work is already done. Staging will likely be an issue, but I don't see rail operations ending.

I don't know what people are complaining about vis a vis looks. This tower looks pretty good. And its tall. Get it up, I say!

It probably doesn't, but many of us dealt with the big dig and lived to tell the tale. Take solace in the fact that we will all survive this, too.

The results of the big dig benefit everybody. What benefits will you get from this ugly tower and the 1,000+ new vehicle trips it generates every day.

I'm all for new bus gates, but how about we do those independently?

Have you done the commute at any time in the last 10 years? IT ALREADY SUCKS!

Great argument buddy. Its already shit, so why not make it worse by blocking off a few tracks for a few years.

A+ debate skills. You should run for president.

Yeah, I'm kind of mystified by the panic levels here. Maybe GLX doesn't impact as many people, just as in my neighborhood the Casey overpass might have impacted a smaller number, but such projects are common and not insignificant in terms of disruption. People adjust, they deal. Not to mention, why are we so convinced it will be all that disruptive? Much of the prep work is already done. Staging will likely be an issue, but I don't see rail operations ending.

You deal with a few years of pain for a better experience. At the end of the GLX construction, you will have a brand new GLX to ride. At the end of the Casey construction, you can safely take an overpass without it collapsing.

What are the public benefits here exactly? What does the commuter dealing with years of shit get in return? Darkness? What a deal! Now they get to feel like theyre in Penn station!

I'm all for new bus gates, but how about we do those independently?
What? In order to do that, you need to build over the rail terminal. That will involve all the disruption to commuters below that the tower will, because it's the first floor of the tower! This also means casting them into darkness or whatever else your complaint is. In addition, the expansion is very expensive (tens of millions of $s); with the tower, the state gets it for free. If you don't value the improvements for bus riders, fine, but state that.

You deal with a few years of pain for a better experience. At the end of the GLX construction, you will have a brand new GLX to ride. At the end of the Casey construction, you can safely take an overpass without it collapsing.

What are the public benefits here exactly? What does the commuter dealing with years of shit get in return? Darkness? What a deal! Now they get to feel like theyre in Penn station!

millenium tower generates nearly $11 million in property taxes annually for the city. this will be in the same range. you don't think "the public" in boston might benefit from another $11 million brought in via SST? your concerns about a couple years of "darkness" as you walk to/from your commuter rail train are more important?

Back