South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

This news is a very pleasant surprise. Everything I had heard about the relocated cab stand and the Atlantic Ave. staging area made me think they were closing the direct access from Atlantic to the platforms. Between that path remaining open and the new path to Fort Point, this really seems like it can work for people in the day-to-day.

20200112_112131.jpg

Just to start what will be a long multi-year thread of construction photos, here's the platform area today as a reference point for future

View attachment 2656

Just to start what will be a long multi-year thread of construction photos, here's the platform area today as a reference point for future
HelloBoston -- Perfect --- we can use your platform-centric ref-photo to compare actual progress to the station drawings and the construction animation which I quoted above from the project websites

HelloBoston -- Perfect --- we can use your platform-centric ref-photo to compare actual progress to the station drawings and the construction animation which I quoted above from the project websites

Hopeful that there will be a web cam or two. I'm stoked to watch this one as construction progresses.

I can't watch with audio right now, but the construction progress video confuses me. It looks like they're shortening a few platforms? Are they eliminating the current station lobby and moving it into the newly-shortened-platform area?

14 years in, this thread will finally have construction photos... and this wasn't even the first thread.

We easily could debate this, but should this thread be called "South Station Air Rights"? That's what they call the project, and presumably we'll also be discussing the bus station and other two towers here.

This news is a very pleasant surprise. Everything I had heard about the relocated cab stand and the Atlantic Ave. staging area made me think they were closing the direct access from Atlantic to the platforms. Between that path remaining open and the new path to Fort Point, this really seems like it can work for people in the day-to-day.
The video really helps me to "see" how the whole project will work, and I completely agree -- it will not be so disruptive as I had expected.

Does anyone know if the 8 massive columns will support some type of deck or truss--
or if the Arches are also part of the superstructure,
(contributing to/ supporting some type of deck or truss)??

Does anyone know if the 8 massive columns will support some type of deck or truss--
or if the Arches are also part of the superstructure,
(contributing to/ supporting some type of deck or truss)??

In the Construction Sequence video, at around 0:55, it labels the "Tower Super Columns / Transfer Truss" attached to the tower foundations.

^^Oh yeah, i didn't notice that in the first viewing/s.
The truss component is truly enormous.

Last edited:
So how much of what was going to be "South Station Expansion" is actually going to get built (instead?) as Bus Station Expansion?

So the front of tower is actually cantilevered over the South Station waiting area? That's impressive and explains how they plan to do this without disruption to the waiting area.

It's actually impressive they'll be decking over the entire station in a matter of 5 months. What's less impressive is that it will take 7 months for prep before a piece of steel rises. We're talking a year from now before the deck is completed in that case. Another year after that before the tower begins. Hopefully financing/tenants are fully secured and guaranteed.

People all over Twitter are freaking out about whether this will disrupt the trains. Someone doing the project and/or the MBTA needs to publicly announce that there won't be many if/and only minor changes to the flow of the station and trains.

People all over Twitter are freaking out about whether this will disrupt the trains. Someone doing the project and/or the MBTA needs to publicly announce that there won't be many if/and only minor changes to the flow of the station and trains.
Yeah, seeing this all over Facebook, too, along with transit oriented specialty sites (eg Railroad.net). The information is readily available, but nobody is reading it, skipping straight to panic mode instead.

Yeah, seeing this all over Facebook, too, along with transit oriented specialty sites (eg Railroad.net). The information is readily available, but nobody is reading it, skipping straight to panic mode instead.

Welcome to every single comment section of anything anywhere in the 21st century lol. No1 reads shit or cares what the answers or truth is they just operate 100% off of bias, take automatic positions, and always go negative 100% of the time regardless of truth or contrary information. The truth doesnt matter when youre going to get mad and complain anyways.

Mystifying Globe headline yesterday: "Next at South Station: hard hats, detours and lots of headaches"

No link because this kind of headlining shouldn't be rewarded with traffic. What is the goal of this editorial pissery and who is it serving?

What is the goal of this editorial pissery and who is it serving?

You said it yourself: traffic.

The MBTA and developer put this info out there to a degree I've never seen before (the video, for instance). People don't want information, they want the endorphin rush from panicking and outraging.

It's the same story they've been running for a few days.
The staff for whatever reason chose to swap in a more controversy-inducing headline.

Inconveniencing transit passengers to build a goddamn parking garage in 2020 should have heads rolling

But theres a shiny tower attached so this forum is pleased

Back