South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Jass - the one thing that will not happen is for a Billion$ project to run out of money -- the Treasury and the Fed together have provided a means for big borrowers to borrow essentially unlimited funds from the "Printing Press" -- based on some collateral

I guess you missed 2008.

If SST is ugly than don't most glass towers have to be ugly? Millennium, Hancock etc etc, they must be ugly right? I can see banal, awkward, bad architecture but its blue glass it wouldnt be all that bad.
The glass isn't the problem. The tower's design looks like 1990's Dallas Texas, and it will visually appear to be stuck on top of the iconic South Station (as seen from the northwest). The Hancock and Millenium are fine buildings; this one isn't.

Assuming this is actually built in its current form, I expect the glass will be by far the best part of the building. I'm sure it will be extremely high quality cladding. It's the design that stinks. However, I don't think it's going to be nearly as bad as most of us think.

Yea the renders from ground level, the views ppl will actually see in real life, look fine.

The other fundamental change is the return of real industry in particular Strategic Manufacturing for the Health Sector -- we won't want to depend on any overseas suppliers for this stuff in the future.
Made in America, love the sound of these words.

Jass - the one thing that will not happen is for a Billion$ project to run out of money -- the Treasury and the Fed together have provided a means for big borrowers to borrow essentially unlimited funds from the "Printing Press" -- based on some collateral

Hines is big-enough that they can bring the South Station Tower as collateral to the Fed for cash$$$ to pay for whatever materials or services that they need to buy

As soon as the shutdown is over -- We are going to want to have people working getting the economy ramping-up ASAP and major construction ["Shovel-ready" to borrow a phrase from Pres. Obama a decade ago] is one thing that the policy makers will be encouraging

The key is exactly what kinds of things have changed long-term as to how best alter the design building program to best fit the new social-economic realities

I think the model of every city trying to Manhattanize -- is over..

The rapid spreading of the COVID-19 in NYC versus the rest of the country -- has fundamentally changed again the balance between density and room to breathe.

The other fundamental change is the return of real industry in particular Strategic Manufacturing for the Health Sector -- we won't want to depend on any overseas suppliers for this stuff in the future. These new or returning manufacturing companies [e.g. Honeywell making N-95 masks in Smithfield RI in an somewhat repurposed factory] will not be going into the core of cities -- they are going back out to the burbs where there are relative abundance of buildings from the 70's and on -- Rt-128, I-93, I-495, etc. The people working in these places will not be living in cities and commuting out -- they'll be living in the burbs and driving locally.

You make all of these declarative statements and these are based on what exactly? This is all your conjecture... and youre assuming these things before this pandemic is even over. So much of this bullshit is honestly offensive.

You make all of these declarative statements and these are based on what exactly? This is all your conjecture... and youre assuming these things before this pandemic is even over. So much of this bullshit is honestly offensive.
Sulfolk -- Let's just say that since none of us know anything about the future - -ever --- then just -- Hide and Watch -- its bound to be interesting

Today [sometime in the next 24 or so hours] the Treasury and Fed collectively are about to drop $6+T into the hopper -- No one has ever done this nearly unimaginable scale anywhere [either absolute -- for obvious reasons [since only 2 or 3 countries have a GDP of that size] or even in relative terms -- injecting cash equivalent to about 30% of the GDP of any country is bound to have some effect]

So -- I might not be right in the details and you might not like my unabashed US-centric views --- focused on looking at real data not necessarily ignorant turn-the-crank modeling-- with perhaps a side serving of the Austrian Economics School -- BUT -- it's going to be interesting over the next 5 to 12 months

so Stay safe and Hide and Watch

WTH happened?!!!!Now it's just a damn pipe dream!!
Jahvon, this is the weirdest time period in my 70 years. I've never seen anything like it including the crazy 1960's. It just goes to show how life can change in a moment into something totally unexpected. I hope you and everyone on here are doing well. I'm doing fine.

I'm fine. Here we are, waiting for a tower that faced so many changes to be built, & now it's dead!!

Wait. So is it now officially dead? Did something change since March 22nd?

Not as far as I can tell it is just one member freaking out about the potential that it is canceled. I can understand feeling concern that it could be canceled but as far as I can tell there has been no news from the developer stating the project is being put on hold or canceled. The only thing affecting this project currently is the construction halt in Boston I believe.

No. Jahvon needs to relax and recognize that construction throughout the city is halted. All projects are on hold. We'll be fine.

I'm not too sure on that. Boston will mostly likely take a hit along with the majority of the country.
I could see SST get delayed to the next real estate cycle.

I'm not too sure on that. Boston will mostly likely take a hit along with the majority of the country.
I could see SST get delayed to the next real estate cycle.

Boston will probably take a hit. I'm sure the rest of the country will still keep putting up 500 footers, 800 footers, and 1000 footers. NYC will probably put up 10 thousand-footers in the next 5 years. Cities on Boston's level like Seattle, SF, Philly will probably still put up 800 footers.

Its a minor miracle that Boston being the 10th largest (11th now) metro in the country, somehow has the 7th biggest skyline in terms of 150 meter buildings. You'd expect us to punch well below our weight.

Boston will probably take a hit. I'm sure the rest of the country will still keep putting up 500 footers, 800 footers, and 1000 footers. NYC will probably put up 10 thousand-footers in the next 5 years. Cities on Boston's level like Seattle, SF, Philly will probably still put up 800 footers.

Its a minor miracle that Boston being the 10th largest (11th now) metro in the country, somehow has the 7th biggest skyline in terms of 150 meter buildings. You'd expect us to punch well below our weight.

1) am i misreading, or are you suggesting that "cities on boston's level" will probably still put up towers, but we wont? or are you just bemoaning that others (many) have surpassed 800', but we haven't yet (quite)?

2) i realize wikipedia isn't always the most accurate source of info, but i hadn't heard of some other metro area knocking us down to 11. what's your source?

Back