Springfield Commuter Rail/Shuttle

BostonUrbEx

Reaction score
I present to you... the Springfield Spider Map:

http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...34766256038742.0004942f740c97f929672&t=h&z=10

This could be done with maybe a couple DMU trains per line or something, but my idea is let's say that at some point we electrify the Boston lines, then what do we do with the diesel locomotives? Sure, maybe keep a couple around for work and rescues if the grid goes down. But what would you do with an entire fleet of GP40s or the MP36s that they just ordered? I'm not entirely sure, but I think they have to be scrapped, they cannot be sold because of the funds they were bought with. So send them to Springfield instead, you're not selling them to anyone, keep them under the DOT umbrella.

You may notice some lines have stops too close together for diesel locomotives to work efficiently, however, you can have one train go every other stop and have a follow up hitting the missed stops.

All lines are placed on existing/former ROW. (except 2 spots where I made shortcuts, one under an interchange, the other through some rather unused land on some mill or factory.)

As always: Comments?

I'm not familiar with railroads and the commuter rail lines. Is there a way this can be connected to a route going to Boston?

Very important development for Springfield. It looks more like a rapid transit system than a Commuter Rail. The problem seems to be in downtown Springfield, where, except for the "Central Station" you have, all the other stops are along the cut-off and under-utilized waterfront. Maybe you'd say that will spur development, but I'm not so sure given the highway there. On the other hand, there are few other alternatives.

Maybe a Main Street streetcar line from Locust Street in the south to Baystate Medical in the north, crossing the central DMU line?

I think Springfield is more of a candidate for light rail, obviously making some use of existing ROWs, but with some downtown street running.

@ John Keith: yes, you could extend the Worcester line to Springfield and tie it in with BostonUrbEx' proposal. The problem there, really, is the distance. It would be long ride from Springfield to Boston, and I don't know that it would get much use. If Worcester were more of a draw, you might get ridership, but otherwise I doubt it. Interestingly, it is much more likely that a commuter rail line would be built between New Haven, Hartford and Springfield, which would make it theoretically possible to take commuter trains all the way from Springfield to NYC and beyond, yet not to Boston in the same state.

Right now we only have one train per direction per day between Springfield, Worcester, and Boston (the Amtrak Lake Shore Limited). Any additional rail service to Springfield would be a huge boon to Springfield's economy. The only other option now is Peter Pan/Greyhound, which is often slow and gets stuck in traffic on the Mass Pike.

Very important development for Springfield. It looks more like a rapid transit system than a Commuter Rail. The problem seems to be in downtown Springfield, where, except for the "Central Station" you have, all the other stops are along the cut-off and under-utilized waterfront. Maybe you'd say that will spur development, but I'm not so sure given the highway there. On the other hand, there are few other alternatives.

Indeed. I-91/-291/-391 really get in the way of passenger rail. I tried to put the stops where there's a road crossing over those highways so it's not just serving one side (or, in the Longmeadow Line case, nothing, as the track is between just the river and 91).

The interstate highway project is a real bitch.

The only real opportunities for commuter rail in the Springfield area are the CDOT project underway, and possible service up the Conn River Line to Holyoke, Northampton, etc. The latter having been included in the PVPC Knowledge Corridor Study. East-West travel would be satisfied by enhanced Amtrak service on the Inland route or some sort of Downeaster type service to Palmer, Pittsfield, and Albany. The old New Haven Armory Branch through East Longmeadow would actually be most valuable as a freight bypass. This would free up capacity on the Amtrak Springfield Line and get rid of the reverse move through Union Station that freight trains going to CT currently make. Too bad its going to be a rail trail.

Chicopee, East Longmeadow, West Springfield, and Westfield would most effectively be served by enhanced express bus service, however I see a significant opportunity for a downtown streetcar circulator system. Many of the attractions and areas that are best suited for redevelopment such as Union Station and the riverfront are cut off from each other by infrastructure or distances that are just slightly too far to walk. This would allow Union Station to be more effectively utilized by those commuting to Springfield, as well as allowing visitors coming by car to park in one spot to visit multiple attractions. Such a system would set the stage for reestablishment of streetcar lines along State and Main Sts, Route 20, and Route 83 to serve the city's densest neighborhoods.

Back