State to Close MCI-Concord

KCasiglio

Reaction score

CONCORD, MASS. (WHDH) - The Massachusetts Department of Corrections will soon announce plans to close MCI-Concord, officials said.

Opened in 1878, the medium-security men’s prison is the oldest operating facility of its kind in the state.

In a statement Wednesday morning, a spokesperson for Gov. Maura Healey said the prison currently operates at 50% capacity with a population of approximately 300 inmates.

Relevant to AB because this is a very large parcel (51 acre) situated within half a mile of the West Concord CR station and abutting the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail. This parcel presents a major opportunity to add significant TOD in the burbs.

Obligatory "hundreds of new micro-apartments in gated community now available!"

Relevant to AB because this is a very large parcel (51 acre) situated within half a mile of the West Concord CR station and abutting the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail. This parcel presents a major opportunity to add significant TOD in the burbs.

Obligatory "hundreds of new micro-apartments in gated community now available!"
The site has a ton of potential. No matter what happens, I hope this building is included. as far as NIMBYs go, I'm sure we'll here the usual gripes about traffic. But beyond some industrial and/or utility uses, there's not much worse use of the land than a crumbling prison.

I'm intrigued by what that might mean for the concord rotary. The existence of the prison was always a major physical impediment to all of the realignment / rotary elimination proposals.

Good point. between the campus and the lot across Commonwealth Ave. becoming available, an upgrade or removal of that rotary could be leveraged by the developer as a weapon against the "but the traffic!" arguments from NIMBYs.

Few things to note.

I. So, for anyone who looks that MCI-Concord closing as a good thing, you’re right, but you’re wrong about why you’re right. Yes, it’s always good to see the back door to slavery take a hit. However, who knows what will happen to the prison population? Because rehabilitation is not a viable long-term option, I could see this turn ugly fast. The goal is never rehabilitation. It’s about outsourcing prison labor. Just ask those behind Cop City in Atlanta.

II. The rotary interchange project has been in the works for sometime. I think that plan was put on ice for ten years. Now, it’s being talked about again. Whenever the new condos go up - probably going to be condos - then talks for the rotary interchange will ramp up again.

Reactions: FK4
Few things to note.

I. So, for anyone who looks that MCI-Concord closing as a good thing, you’re right, but you’re wrong about why you’re right. Yes, it’s always good to see the back door to slavery take a hit. However, who knows what will happen to the prison population? Because rehabilitation is not a viable long-term option, I could see this turn ugly fast. The goal is never rehabilitation. It’s about outsourcing prison labor. Just ask those behind Cop City in Atlanta.

I mean... we don't have to look particularly hard for information on this one. The plan as stated appears functionally identical to one they just finished, the closure of MCI Cedar Junction, just with fewer prisoners involved. (We should talk about that site too, but it's location isn't nearly as enticing as MCI Concord.) In short - transfer everyone, including staff and specialty units, somewhere else. Looking at the population involved since DOC publishes very detailed statistics, I'd say there's plenty of capacity at facilities much newer (and presumably nicer and with better services) than this one. MCI Shirley alone, just down RT 2 and built in 1991, has nearly enough capacity. In fact, it looks like basically every DOC prison is operating well below their capacities.

With the way the state and national trend line is going, I'm sure we'll see more consolidation going forward - if closing a prison means the state can avoid 190m in recapitalization costs and redevelop the site... they'll do it.

Screenshot_20240125-020445_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully we get housing and other useful purposes on this site, but with it being Concord...I'm not optimistic. Not that the immediate area needs a sprawling hotel or resort, but the single best use of an old institutional building I've seen in the US is the Richardson Hotel in Buffalo (formerly Hotel Henry), which was an asylum. With some of the historic buildings at the Concord site it could look great.

Also, yes, it's good a prison is shutting down because it's underutilized.

1706190223551.png

1706190415569.png

I mean... we don't have to look particularly hard for information on this one. The plan as stated appears functionally identical to one they just finished, the closure of MCI Cedar Junction, just with fewer prisoners involved. (We should talk about that site too, but it's location isn't nearly as enticing as MCI Concord.) In short - transfer everyone, including staff and specialty units, somewhere else. Looking at the population involved since DOC publishes very detailed statistics, I'd say there's plenty of capacity at facilities much newer (and presumably nicer and with better services) than this one. MCI Shirley alone, just down RT 2 and built in 1991, has nearly enough capacity. In fact, it looks like basically every DOC prison is operating well below their capacities.

With the way the state and national trend line is going, I'm sure we'll see more consolidation going forward - if closing a prison means the state can avoid 190m in recapitalization costs and redevelop the site... they'll do it.

View attachment 47061
Listen, if you prove me wrong, go for it. I’m just saying that there’s always a back door to increasing the prison population. Figures don’t matter to those who are skeptical of the Mass. Correctional System.

Reactions: FK4
I could actually see Concord allowing a multi unit residential complex at the prison given its location. Its proximity to Rte 2 reduces its SFH desirability potential. I doubt someone would want their million dollar plus home next to such a busy road. Concord did allow the Warner Woods residential complex on nearby Laws Brook Road in West Concord several years ago.

1706290835630.png

Last edited:
I could actually see Concord allowing a multi unit residential complex at the prison given its location. Its proximity to Rte 2 reduces its desirability potential. I doubt someone would want their million dollar plus home next to such a busy road. Concord did allow the Warner Woods residential complex on nearby Laws Brook Road in West Concord several years ago.

Being Concord, you'd be surprised. This crazy house sold last year for 869k. You know, if they go ahead with condos, those will be 6, 700k at least.

Not that the immediate area needs a sprawling hotel or resort, but the single best use of an old institutional building I've seen in the US is the Richardson Hotel in Buffalo (formerly Hotel Henry), which was an asylum.

View attachment 47062

Massachusetts also converted an asylum into a housing complex. It was called the Danvers State Hospital. Here's a google maps view of it from above.

1706313766411.png

A screengrab from the ground:

1706313924913.png

A horror movie was made that was based here, called Session 9.

Back