Sue me.

Re: New Guitar Center on Boylston St

Reposting a news article that requires a paid subscription is a big no no, and potentially libelous. Actually, posting any article aside from a short blurb and attributing it is considered an ethical no no

Reposting a news article that requires a paid subscription is a big no no, and potentially libelous. Actually, posting any article aside from a short blurb and attributing it is considered an ethical no no

a no no perhaps as it is a paid site but libelous? Hardly.

Libelous? How?

Posting such articles here is a public service, and I encourage everyone to do it.

How in the world is that libelous?

Re-publishing someone's work is ethically wrong, I agree. Any time we post an article from the Boston Globe or Banker & Tradesman, it's wrong.

There's no gray area about it. However, I'm willing to forgive it for a forum such as this, where the intent isn't to "sell" something but to provide information.

I don't copy and post complete articles on my own blog, because the intent there is to get people to use me as a real estate agent. Because there is a commercial aspect to my blog, I figure it's not right to reprint entire articles. I pick out a couple juicy quotes, and give attribution, including authors' names, which makes them happy.

Libelous? How?

Posting such articles here is a public service, and I encourage everyone to do it.

Will you cover legal when a corporation sues? Not to derail the thread further, but it is, quite simply, against the law.

In Soviet Union Unapproved Content sues YOU.

/obligatory

Don't directly C&P (edit: PAID) articles, summarize them yourself or copy it into a word doc and have it auto-summarized. Legal issues pertaining to copyright infringement could get the board shut down. (edit: Always provide a link or citation to the original source)

Edited to be clearer what I meant.

Last edited:
My $0.02

If this board is a place for learning and an exchange of ideas, then couldn't we look at the articles re-posted here as "works cited?" No one's trying to profit from this content, and most posters post links to the source. It spurs discussion. As a guy who's written and edited for a living, I wish some of the content I crafted (in a past life) inspired a morsel of the debate we get out of 500 words from Scott Van Voorhis.

Lurker, are you saying that to make a point? You cut and pasted the entire article from a Harvard magazine, just a week ago.

That article was originally published in Harvard magazine and was then republished in a free online publication linked off of Glenn Reynolds' (law professor, whom I believe is smart enough not to get himself sued) website. I provided a link back to the original (free) source at the top of the posting to make it clear where it came from. So I don't think I cross any legal boundaries Jimbo.

I think what you meant to say was "a potential liability" not "potentially libelous."

An Ethical no no? By what rules of professional responsibility are we operating on this board? We're not professionals. Ethics do not apply to a V Bulletin board where all parties are anonymous and answer to no one.

Well now that members of the board have made a public presence at development/public hearings meetings, it would make sense to have some code of conduct. Otherwise silliness could be detrimental to acknowledged board members, affecting their credibility or reducing the impact of their comments at meetings/hearings.

"Libelous"? No. Libel is the act of making a false declaration about someone.

I think what you mean is that copying and pasting copyrighted content could open someone to liability. I would contend that doing so here would not have that result. If my law school memory serves me, copyrighted information can be reproduced without gaining permission from the copyright holder under certain circumstances, one of which is for educational purposes. I think posting B&T and Globe articles (and links) this board would probably qualify under the education exemption. (For-profit use of copyrighted information would be a direct No No, like if you copied your well-read paperback "Flowers in the Attic" and tried selling the photocopy.)

Interesting article, I will be interviewing the Shake Shack soon for SleepNY, an asking probing questions of some of the people in line eg why they are paying 15 dollars for a burger.

However, it could work in Boston. Im not sure where however...

As for suing you... ah no thanks :rolleyes:

Back