585 Kendall | 585 Third Street | Kendall Square

Oof that "artist rendering". I can clip the stage out of a concert venue and paste it on top of a cartoon as well.

Agreed about that first render, but the other/external render? This will be a real stunner from the outside, giving new dynaism to the street scene. You're walking along and then, boom, you can't see too much of the performers in that glass box, but you'll be able to see some of the audience and the reactions. Plus, the lobby downstairs is fully visible from the street/sidewalk.

1615507362793.png

The Harman Center/ Shakespeare Theatre Co. in DC has a similar vibe (although much less, if any, of the performance space), and I can personally report, it truly does liven up the feeling of dynamic nightlife in the area.

1615507607584.png

Last edited:
Meh more insipid lab architecture for Kendall. Hard to get excited about this.

There's a newer version of the FAA map where they break it up into pages that allow you to zoom closer to your target than ever before. When you look at the line between 1000' and then the 500' drop off, it convinces me more than ever that this was the perfect spot for a new tallest building (ie eclipsing the Hancock). Holding out for years in order to build something that gets lost in the crowd is a huge letdown.

There's a newer version of the FAA map where they break it up into pages that allow you to zoom closer to your target than ever before. When you look at the line between 1000' and then the 500' drop off, it convinces me more than ever that this was the perfect spot for a new tallest building (ie eclipsing the Hancock). Holding out for years in order to build something that gets lost in the crowd is a huge letdown.
https://www.massport.com/media/mplj0snm/bostonairspacemap_9-8.pdf

You would be waiting a lifetime or an eternity. Cambridge was not adjusting the zoning here for such a thing.

The theater is exciting, aesthetics of the building notwithstanding.

Fair... the building sucks tho. Lab architecture sucks.

I actually fund the coloring of this building incredibly exciting. Overlaping gradients from mauve to cerulean is not your standard lab building coloring. On a clear day the building will match the color of the sky at dusk (mauve) and at noon (cerulean) and all the daylight hours in between. There could be some truly magical moments where the building appears to merge into and out of the sky when the colors match just right.

Stocky but has a great set of teeth!

Last edited:
This goes back to the Planning Board for special permit approval on Jan 25th. A large design package was just posted in advance of that:

See:
-- Responses to feedback
-- The latest design graphics docs (12/28) have a few renderings (particularly the interior public spaces) that I don't think we've seen before

585-1.png

Damn, I love everything about this development; the exterior colorings, the unusual shaping of the building itself, the ground floor usage, the theatre space. Everything!

Reactions: W-4
The only bad thing about this is that Glenn KnicKrehm is making a single dime off of his decade-long charade.

I still say this sham of a theaterspace is way too small. At its size it will be underused rather than the weekly or daily attraction it could be.

Back