The Factory at 46 Wareham | South End

PaulC

Reaction score
Hub developers want to convert a 19th-century South End warehouse into a 42-unit residential development called The Factory at 46 Wareham.

The proposed six-story, 62,215-square-foot building would have five residential floors, 9,400 square feet of ground-floor retail space and 52 below-grade parking spaces.

A potential tenant for the first-floor retail space is the 117-year-old Society of Arts and Crafts, which “has expressed an interest in relocating from Newbury Street to join the growing South End arts community,” according to the documents filed with the BRA.

http://bostonherald.com/business/re...convert_south_end_warehouse_to_housing_retail

For as long as I can remember the Society of Arts and Crafts has hoped to open their own museum, maybe this can be it.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/33980489-d945-4dbe-87ac-f88b618f8d12

Re: The Factory at 46 Wareham

I just threw up a little.

They can't build this monstrosity on any of the four adjacent vacant lots? They need to demolish an intact brick and beam warehouse?

I knew this had to be Hacin + Associates. I thought the style of the rendering was a little bit off, but this whole black-metal-paneled, abstract, rectilinear volumes sprouting from a brick base is apparently his go to solution. FP3 is one of the better attempts we have in this city at integrating a contemporary architectural language into surrounding historic fabric, but now he's just being formulaic. I don't think he's a good enough architect (clearly) to rely on this strategy anyway, but I think, especially when dealing with existing historic structures, designers need to be careful not to simply recycle past designs and be even more sensitive to the unique past of a building. Not to mention that now we're just talking about a purely visual aesthetic that seems to get dumbed down a bit more each time. The thing on Marlborough already looked stale, and now this is just kind of a joke.

Here's the PNF -http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/33980489-d945-4dbe-87ac-f88b618f8d12

This project is still kicking around, after a brief flirtation with an all-commercial redevelopment it's back to mixed use. The new version includes an automated parking garage below ground, presumably to pack more cars into the limited space.

Cqedu7fXgAE3B69.jpg

There are now visible signs of work going on with this project from the malden st side. They removed the windows and there is wood holding them up. Sorry no pics

The project next door (88 Wareham) should also be starting by the end of the month.

What is the 88 Wareham project you're referring to?

It's Phase 2 of whatever that building on Albany St next to it is called. They took a break after 2008 because of the economy. Got to get it built before their 10yr window is up!

Demolition underway at 46 Wareham Street. Shame to see the original building go...
18341864_450490141961778_3613488243705242013_n.jpg

I had no idea... thought they were gonna rehab it. Isnt that what the plans show?

I had no idea... thought they were gonna rehab it. Isnt that what the plans show?

Wow, agreed. It sure looked like they were doing a gut rehab.

Wonder if they dug under the hood (as it were) and discovered structural deficiencies too costly to remedy? Earlier in the year it looked like they were bracing the structure for the rehab work.

Im sort of surprised this is moving forward so fast after they had to knock the original building down... didnt they have to go back to the board for approvals?

Im sort of surprised this is moving forward so fast after they had to knock the original building down... didnt they have to go back to the board for approvals?

Has there been any info about what triggered the switch to demolition? (not that it matters now :-(

Back