The Future MBTA

That's awesome! Congrats Van. Keep up the good work. 8)

Van, in future map #6, why is it that the Yellow circle line's Longwood Medical stop doesn't connect with the Green Line's E branch?

Frankly I didn't have space on the map. The older maps are all altered T maps so I had to deal with the size it gave me. The large on that is featured is one I made entirely from scratch so I had more control. Also the time difference between the two sets of maps is like 3 years and I learned a lot more during that time.

Van,

One thing I would try to avoid is branching the Green line too much. As it is, it is very difficult for the MBTA to run trains on a fixed schedule or at least without delays. In fact everyday is a learning experience for them on the Green line.

Yeah, In fact when I look at that map I can't help but think how many bad ideas are on it. I wish I could replace it but it is already out there.

I love it

I love the maps. So cool.

One thing I wonder about in general, the MBTA's proposals seem to follow the routes of existing commuter rails (going to Lynn, for example).

I understand that the MBTA is different from commuter rail, but it kind of bugs me that we could end up with two modes of transportation for some regions and none for others.

Anyone else have an opinion?

vanshnookenraggen said:
Yeah, In fact when I look at that map I can't help but think how many bad ideas are on it. I wish I could replace it but it is already out there.

You did a terrific job! I think the maps are really cool and are a useful aid in visualizing future potential lines. Can you update or edit the one you already made?

I have been trying to make a new one with lines I think should and could be built rather than as many lines as possible. I started out well but then it got too big. Now that I have figured out Illustrator, making the maps has become much easier. When I have some time perhaps I will make another one.

Re: I love it

IMAngry said:
I understand that the MBTA is different from commuter rail, but it kind of bugs me that we could end up with two modes of transportation for some regions and none for others.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Ideally, the more frequent subway transit would take the place of frequent commuter rail. If they were to keep the commuter rail lines that extend beyond, through Lynn for example, they could skip all intermediary stations and make the commuter rail trip more express.

I have been trying to make a new one with lines I think should and could be built rather than as many lines as possible. I started out well but then it got too big. Now that I have figured out Illustrator, making the maps has become much easier. When I have some time perhaps I will make another one.

I also started one for the NYC subway but it is too big to even upload a shrunken version so I am going to have to go back and remake it smaller from scratch.

Back