Lyra (née The Huntington) | 252/258/264 Huntington Avenue | Fenway

tysmith95

Reaction score
http://www.mattesonco.com/huntington-ave

Sorry for a second derailment, look at this other proposal from this company, holy mackerel!

Thanks for finding this! The renderings on this look amateur so i'm not sure how far along they are in planning but it looks like a great opportunity.

Huntington Avenue is a three-building asset comprising 252, 258, and 264 Huntington Avenue and located in Back Bay, Boston, Massachusetts. Occupying nearly an entire city block, the property offers exceptional redevelopment potential for a wide variety of uses, including residential, dormitory, hotel, retail, or office. GFI and its partners are currently in the planning stages for a 350-400 unit residential tower and a retail first and second floor.

2s7dief.png

Last edited:
Awesome. Obviously this is about as touchy a topic as you can get on AB, but, this + Parcel 15 would ostensibly allow a new plateau on Mass Ave. Then maybe it opens things up for tall up Mass Ave to Boylston and northeast up Huntington; i believe this + everything else going up just hints at what may unfold.... if we could build these parcels tall without touching the rowhouses, it would be epic....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2...e35da8c09d8db789!8m2!3d42.342128!4d-71.085134

And were off to the races. This week is crazy. Pretty cool design too reminds me of one of the million different Government center garage proposals.

Does anyone have a way to find out when this was proposed? For all we know this could be from 2006, although we most likely would have dug it up by now. The streetscape also looks like it knocks out some very high quality old Boston frontage, I hope thats not the case.

Does anyone have a way to find out when this was proposed? For all we know this could be from 2006, although we most likely would have dug it up by now. The streetscape also looks like it knocks out some very high quality old Boston frontage, I hope thats not the case.

I'm not convinced we would lose the entire street scape. it looks like they're doing some sort of cantilevered effect over the old facade with the arched windows.

It looks like 252's frontage is toast, but they keep 258 and 264? Hard to tell without additional renders.

I don't know when this was proposed but know that these parcels just got sold to a developer this year. I believe BU owned these parcels and there was some touchiness around the fate of the Huntington Theater.

As you can see, the theater building is untouched.

For more context, this will be directly behind the new New England Conservatory being built on St. Botolph.

In short: this must be brand-spanking new.

Awesome news.

Seems like there's a new proposal almost every day!

After the City and the NIMBY's are finished with them it will be a 8 story building.

^Transportation wise it's in a great spot, with the orange line, green line, and Mass Ave bus stops all within a block of this proposed tower. I'd hate to see this cut down though the facade that currently sits where this proposed tower would rise would be a loss. It would be nice if they could somehow incorporate the current facade into the new tower.

Plus this development is only a few blocks from One Dalton.

Here's another render

1p9mk3.png

Last edited:
After the City and the NIMBY's are finished with them it will be a 8 story building.

Cities inevitably grow up with new plans. Everyone will just have to grow up and accept this reality. Simply, this forms an X with the new Northeastern/Roxbury/Mission Hill Plateau.... They're building 230~280'. 396' is perfect here. They should have proposed 500' then knocked it back, and finally, landed here with ~396' with very limited parking offered. Get people out of their cars.

I don't know when this was proposed but know that these parcels just got sold to a developer this year. I believe BU owned these parcels and there was some touchiness around the fate of the Huntington Theater.

For more context, this will be directly behind the new New England Conservatory being built on St. Botolph.

Awesome news.

Reverend Paco -- from the Matteston Company web site [URL is above]
The Matteson Companies is a Boston-based real estate investment and development company founded in July 2014.

Today, TMC has emerged as one of the most active investors and developers in Boston.

The Matteson Companies current key projects include;
three high rise residential developments,
two hotel projects,
and over three (3) million square feet of industrial and R&D properties, with an additional two (2) million square feet under construction.

Some of TMC's major projects include:
the acquisition of a 750,000 square foot warehouse in Devens, MA. At acquisition the property was fifty percent leased and after just twelve months, TMC and partner GFI Partners leased the warehouse to one hundred percent. Currently the building is undergoing a 400,000 square foot expansion for a national distribution tenant .

TMC is also developing The Huntington, a 400 unit residential, theater and retail property located in Boston's Back Bay neighborhood;

The Zone, a 250 unit project located in Boston Theater district; and finally partnering with Harbinger,

the Marine Hotel, 425 room Hilton and 20,000 square feet of retail located in the Boston Seaport.

Seems like there's a new proposal almost every day!

Follow the money.

In this case, methinks the recent steep bond market decline along with the solidifying of thought regarding the Federal Reserve raising rates soon is pushing some folks off the fence and racing to get developments on the books.

But I could be wrong.

Follow the money.

In this case, methinks the recent steep bond market decline along with the solidifying of thought regarding the Federal Reserve raising rates soon is pushing some folks off the fence and racing to get developments on the books.

But I could be wrong.

Shmessy -- You could be right -- or it just might be that Matteson is young [barely 2 yrs old] very aggressive and dynamic -- I'll go with the latter

Does anyone have a way to find out when this was proposed?

Less than a year ago.

Correct.

Can't say much, but it is indeed recent.

And neither can I.

^Transportation wise it's in a great spot, with the orange line, green line, and Mass Ave bus stops all within a block of this proposed tower. I'd hate to see this cut down though the facade that currently sits where this proposed tower would rise would be a loss. It would be nice if they could somehow incorporate the current facade into the new tower.

Plus this development is only a few blocks from One Dalton.

Here's another render

1p9mk3.png

Hideous. Total street level killer. Before some nudnik quips about what's there now: street level is infinitely better now than what's shown in the render. Period, end of story.

It is 100%. The city needs to make sure they grow above Boston not through it. No reason why they cant treat this like the littlest bar. If they do that this is a solid development.

Density here, and not casting problematic shadow at multiple public transportation hubs, several green spaces, the symphony, BPL, Copley Square etc. Another towering home run. Perfect street level can't always be accomplished. Far worse to reduce 400 units to nothing infill, and force people to live further out from the core. When we have as much 'untouchable' as we have in Boston, you have to make smart compromises. This does that in spades.

Hideous. Total street level killer. Before some nudnik quips about what's there now: street level is infinitely better now than what's shown in the render. Period, end of story.

This is an important consideration. Yet, if we fail on these final high-density parcels, we will all suffer over the long term.

https://goo.gl/maps/uCQXPxzx6EN2

This is the current street level on this site.

Those buildings have to be kept. Ill join the nimbys on this project if they plan to demolish them. This isnt how the city is supposed to grow. Theres a few examples now of how to properly do this. I like the tower and its a great spot. They just have to understand how ridiculous it is to demolish that part of the street. We can have both, it should not be either or. We just found out about this today so these are most likely very preliminary renderings. Well see what happens. They already went overboard with the 1905 filenes facade, the dainty dot, and the times. Once one falls more do. This has to stop now. Were getting much better development lately, lets not take a step back here of all places.

The city has been pretty involved with this already in order to facilitate a deal that ensures that the Huntington Theatre Company can continue to use the theatre space

Back