Lyra (née The Huntington) | 252/258/264 Huntington Avenue | Fenway

Honestly I'm fine with this. It would be great if they can increase the number of units, add no parking, and stay within the previously approved building envelope.

Similar to the Seaport, space saving methods can make the dollars work anywhere; The Huntington--or the Harbor Garage (for inclusion of hotel space), SST, Garden Garage, 40 Trinity, Hook Lobster, Fenway Center, or even a possible return of Columbus Center or Copley Tower (someday). I'd love to know if some of these ideas are used not just for the Seaport--but around the City.

1. https://www.djc.com/news/ae/11173335.html

2. https://www.aisc.org/globalassets/modern-steel/archives/2000/09/2000v09_lowfloor.pdf

Apparently construction is to start after this coming Hunting Theater season. That puts a May 2020 start date. An agreement has been reached where they must complete the project 24 months after they begin so that the recently announced BSO project can begin.

Boston Symphony Orchestra has announced their intention to develop across the street where they own the entirety of 2 story retail and office building.

How does construction across the street affect the BSO's potential project? I wouldn't think BSO has any sway in this matter.

Apparently construction is to start after this coming Hunting Theater season. That puts a May 2020 start date. An agreement has been reached where they must complete the project 24 months after they begin so that the recently announced BSO project can begin.

Thanks for the update. This is better than being canceled, but I was really hoping to hear this project get off the ground sooner than that.

Boston has done a great job this boom with adding taller buildings in the downtown/north station area. But, the Back Bay/Kenmore section has been pretty disappointing. Basically only 2 projects of any height have gotten off the ground: the Pierce and One Dalton. I'm hoping Raffels and this at least get off the ground before the cycle ends. In my mind a few 400fters outside the downtown core can really increase the "scale of the city" feel.

This project is still ticking:

From the Jan. 2 Tree Removal Hearing, 1010 Mass Ave., 3rd Floor, 10 a.m.: Request to remove eight public shade trees in the South End The request is for the removal of eight oak trees measuring between 4 and 5 inches dbh (diameter at breast height) due to construction of a multi-use 34-story high-rise at 252-258 Huntington Avenue in the Symphony area of the South End.

from

More confirmation that this construction will start in May.

Tower Next to Huntington Theatre Clears More Hurdles There has been some small movement for the 34-story glass tower planned by Matteson Company for 252-258 Huntington Ave. for a parcel just east of the Huntington Avenue Theatre. Approved in 2017, the project has been labeled “inactive” on the BPDA website. Over the summer, the BPDA board approved changes in floor-to-ceiling heights to allow creation of two additional floors with 20 additional apartments, bringing the total to 446. Then, in January, Greg Mosman, Boston’s tree warden, held a public hearing at 1010 Mass. Ave. about Matteson’s request to take out 10 sidewalk oak trees. As of now, the trees have not been cut down. At the hearing, Liza Meyer, the city’s chief landscape architect, asked if any effort had been made to retain some of the trees. Becky Rupel of Copley Wolff Design Group stated that the developer would replace four. Todd Liming of the Public Improvement Commission said the project has only undergone informal staff review, but a public hearing is likely in the near future. The Huntington Theatre Company (HTC) website says demolition of the 100-year-old buildings at 252-258 Huntington Ave. is expected to begin early this year. Other sources say construction would begin after the Huntington’s final play finishes its run in May. The tower project is intertwined with the plan to restore and renovate the theater, including creation of a new entrance lobby and second-floor community space. In related news, HTC said in a press release that its $100 million capital campaign for funding the theatre improvements has reached 60 percent of its campaign goal, a milestone that includes more than a dozen multi-million dollar donations. The Huntington also applied for a Community Preservation Act grant from the City—CPA can fund historic preservations projects—although those awards have not yet been announced.

Also looks like NU is getting some area resident and NU grad student pushback on its proposed dorm on the other side of the tracks.

What should have happened:
In a move to urbanize Huntington Ave that wouldn't take 430 years,
instead of slashing it to 12~18 stories, the planners suggested the developer propose 32 stories,
then, eventually acquiesce to a reduction to ~30 stories.

hunt.PNG

Spotted in the December PIC meeting, it appears to just be the Theatre portion not the tower portion.

Spotted in the December PIC meeting, it appears to just be the Theatre portion not the tower portion.

I actually think that's the tower on the left side of the picture. Check the 2nd render on page 9, post 177.

I actually think that's the tower on the left side of the picture. Check the 2nd render on page 9, post 177.
Yes it is, but the PIC approval was for the Theatre entrance renovations not the tower, they specifically mentioned it in the meeting that this is only for the Theatre portion of the project and they have no connections to that other portion beyond designing the changes to work with it.

Yes it is, but the PIC approval was for the Theatre entrance renovations not the tower, they specifically mentioned it in the meeting that this is only for the Theatre portion of the project and they have no connections to that other portion beyond designing the changes to work with it.

Thanks for the clarity, 'HelloBostonHi'!

Back