The Loop @ Mattapan Station | Mattapan

FK4

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone saw this one...

The Boston Redevelopment Authority is assisting the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority in getting the word out about a redevelopment opportunity for the Mattapan Station site.

The MBTA is making available approximately 2.5 acres of land immediately adjacent to Mattapan Station near Mattapan Square for development. Virtually on top of the Ashmont-Mattapan High Speed Line, this site is located half a mile away from the planned Blue Hill Avenue Station on the Fairmount Line. Redevelopment Use and Design Guidelines for the site, crafted by the BRA in collaboration with the Mattapan community, call for residential uses, focusing on market-rate ownership or cooperative housing with a portion devoted to affordable housing, consistent with the City’s Inclusionary Development Policy. The Guidelines also call for ground floor commercial and support service uses. This transit-rich site in historic Mattapan Square offers a unique opportunity for mixed use, transit oriented development.

They've tried several times to get TOD on the site. RFPs in 2007 and 2012 didn't get much interest. A charter school tried in 2014, but the community didn't like it.

An unfortunate location ... Mattapan Sq is a far cry from what I imagine it was like decades ago... Completely dead after 7 pm... Nothing open, no eateries other than fast food, very forbidding atmosphere at night. I'm not surprised it's had trouble, but hopefully with the new liquor licenses coming into the neighborhoods (when the hell is that actually happening? Supposed to be this year I thought) it will breathe a little life into this area. Essentially all of rox, dot (excepting dot ave) and mattapan is completely and totally devoid of watering holes and thus night life (the good night life)... Really maddening and saddening that the city allowed the loss of so many licenses to the seaport to completely deaden an already dead region so fully before stepping in... But I'm sorry to say, that's menino for you.

I think the legislature is more at fault then the city on this one.

The legislatures inertia was due basically to lobbies by restauranteurs who fought diminishing the value of a license. The only reason it's finally happening is due to city government officials lobbying, including the current mayor. Menino never supported anything being open later or more liquor serving establishments. He was firmly in support of the temperance and quiet-neighborhood-demanding factions, to a fault. There's a reason this is only happening after he left office.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but The Loop at Mattapan Station FINALLY broke ground. Mixed-income, mixed-use development with roughly 130 apartments adjacent to the trolley / bus station on the former MBTA parking lot. Partnership between POAH, Nuestra Comunidad, the City of Boston, MassHousing, and the MBTA.

Virtual groundbreaking video ceremony here:

20210607_093054.jpg

From 9/3. This development feels huge compared to the surrounding area (not a bad thing given the transit-oriented location). Also, Mods, can we change this thread title to "The Loop At Mattapan Station"?

IMG_20210903_100109052_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210903_100233099_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210903_100338629_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210903_100447484_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210903_100452327_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210903_100617454_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210903_100622168_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210903_100808314_HDR.jpg

I like the depth and variety of the massing, and I especially like the sepia/light brown color. It goes well with its surroundings.

Perfect spot for this infill, great to see it wrapping up.

This and the Cote infill are coming out pretty nicely. Anyone know if their will be ground floor retail? Would be nice to continue to pull it from the square further down.

Some photos from a walk around the site on 12.27. Bike path connection to the Neponset Greenway isn't open yet, though I imagine the building can't be that far away from opening to move-ins.

Loop 11.JPG
Loop 10.JPG
Loop 9.JPG
Loop 8.JPG
Loop 7.JPG
Loop 6.JPG
Loop 5.JPG
Loop 4.JPG
Loop 3.JPG
Loop 2.JPG
Loop 1.JPG

An outpost of the grocery store Daily Table opened recently in the ground floor of this building!

From Axios Boston:

A grocery store chain dedicated to getting affordable food to underprivileged communities is expanding to a fourth location.

• Daily Table's new outpost in Mattapan Square opened yesterday.
Why it matters: Food prices are going up, making it harder to find fresh, healthy alternatives to cheap fast food and snacks.

Daily Table redirects products that would become food waste into affordable groceries.

Background: Former Trader Joe's president Doug Rauch founded the Daily Table chain and opened its first store in Dorchester in 2015.

• The store works with suppliers that donate or discount surplus food or food close to its "best by" date.
  • The model lets Daily Table bring an ever-changing assortment of produce and proteins to market at prices usually lower than the big grocery chains.
Rauch's innovative approach to the grocery business and food waste has even been the subject of a Harvard Business School research paper.

Rn64KX8h31kmttnIbmHuzSxLlif45EVnvMrJQHQzhbLL7RbjgVYkGZb6zpZYEQmRnUBKrNLJf3sJGkCrFO7yDRB79pFxCkkEpajsN-Rwn82Bfgbi7_VT3dSdI9o_th4YcZqf0WtRFHl3I7KQGElXPmAjdX16zA=s0-d-e1-ft
You can't beat 89-cent avocados. Photo: Mike Deehan/Axios
Daily Table offers a 50% off discount for customers using SNAP benefits on fruit and vegetables.

• SNAP customers can also order online and get free delivery in a two-mile radius of the store.
The new store is a ground-floor tenant of the Loop at Mattapan Station at 474 River St. on what was until recently an MBTA-owned parking lot for the adjacent Mattapan trolley station.

• The mixed-use development by nonprofits Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation and Preservation of Affordable Housing brought 135 affordable rental apartments and 10,000 square feet of commercial space to an area close to the Mattapan trolley, which connects to the Red Line.
Details: The store is open from 9am to 8pm Monday through Saturday and 11am to 7pm Sundays.

• Grand opening events for the new Mattapan store are set for 3:30pm April 6, 3:30pm April 7 and 11am April 8.

Back