The Marc (former Our Lady of Victories Church) | 25-29 Isabella Street | Bay Villiage

I like the project. Seeing this rendering, I have two questions:

What's the story behind this parking lot? Why has it never been developed?

What happened to the restaurant space formerly occupied by Smith and Wolensky? That was a very nice space within the Castle.

View attachment 38705
View attachment 38704
S&W's space in the castle was nice but they never performed very well there. They decided to open up at Atlantic Wharf, which is doing well, and let the lease expire at the castle.

Another grotesque-ification of a church, the buildings that had the most architectural effort and pride (of regular citizens, versus the mega rich of the time) put into them.

Good that they retained something.

Pathetic that they had to make it look so freakish, like the former Holy Trinity German Church ("the Lucas") or the poor church along the Mass Pike in Newton whose spire looks like a Third World country's air defense network. A self-respecting city would have a historic preservation culture and legal framework that would save the building without turning it into an unwanted cartoon.

Meanwhile the jerk*** developer keeps the freaking parking lot perfectly intact while mutilating the historic church. There should be laws requiring corporal punishment for this sort of thing.

Another grotesque-ification of a church, the buildings that had the most architectural effort and pride (of regular citizens, versus the mega rich of the time) put into them.

Good that they retained something.

Pathetic that they had to make it look so freakish, like the former Holy Trinity German Church ("the Lucas") or the poor church along the Mass Pike in Newton whose spire looks like a Third World country's air defense network. A self-respecting city would have a historic preservation culture and legal framework that would save the building without turning it into an unwanted cartoon.

Meanwhile the jerk*** developer keeps the freaking parking lot perfectly intact while mutilating the historic church. There should be laws requiring corporal punishment for this sort of thing.

I actually think it looks fine, much better than this abomination imo.
lucas1-630b2e008a43d.jpg

I like the project. Seeing this rendering, I have two questions:

What's the story behind this parking lot? Why has it never been developed?

What happened to the restaurant space formerly occupied by Smith and Wolensky? That was a very nice space within the Castle.

View attachment 38705
View attachment 38704
I think the parking lot and the brick building to its image left may be associated with this.

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/2010/12/26/what-happened-w-hotel/4/

Different entity than the owner/developer of the church.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't feel like the facade of this church was worthy of preserving...

My wife used to go to that church any time she had a reason to go to Mass during the work week. I never had the chance to go myself, but its sad to see it gutted.

My wife used to go to that church any time she had a reason to go to Mass during the work week. I never had the chance to go myself, but its sad to see it gutted.
Sad, but not as sad as seeing it in a landfill.

Seems as it already was underway but:

KEMS Corporation and Finegold Alexander Commence Construction of La Victoire in Boston’s Bay Village Neighborhood​

La-Victoire.jpg

“Boston —Finegold Alexander Architectsannounced that construction is underway for La Victoire at 25 Isabella Street, a remarkable adaptive reuse project in the heart of the Bay Village neighborhood of Boston.

Developed by KEMS Corp, the project breathes new life into the former Our Lady of Victories Church, transforming the building into an all-electric 18-unit residential development.

La Victoire preserves and restores the historic facade of the original 1891 church, its masonry exterior standing as a testament to the neighborhood and building’s rich architectural heritage, with a contemporary infill set back from Isabella Street. This seven-story insertion of high-end condominium units includes two affordable units, and was designed with complementary materials and sleek profiles, including triangular bays inspired by the arched windows of the original nave. Finegold Alexander’s new interventions were designed with significant neighborhood review and input, and the integrity of the neighborhood fabric while creating spaces for modern living with today’s technologies…”

1698091852940.jpeg

https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/k...victoire-in-bostons-bay-village-neighborhood/

Back