New Bedford Developments

This video made me feel a tingle in my pants. Street Cars in New Bedford in the 1920s. I can only imagine what it must have been like to see that type of activity downtown.

http://youtu.be/lsWBg_6ss-g

Also, good news on the seaport improvements. Looks like they have $35 Million in funding and more on the way.

Full Story: http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120301/NEWS/203010342/1011/TOWN10
nbport.jpg

Finally, A restaurant/bar called, "Pier 37" opened on lower Union St. right next to Pizans Pizza, across from Catwalk and around the Corner from Cork and Rose Alley. A really nice block of restaurants and bars (now if only they'd fix the National Club). A nice rotisserie place called Braza opened on Pleasant St. downtown too. I had dinner and drink at Pier 37 on Valentines day and the scallops rank in the top two or 3 I've ever had. It'll do well.

Bullshit terminal, focused on trucking. We're prepared to spend $2bil+ on rail to New Bedford, but won't serve a port with it.

Oh well, it's bullshit anyway. South Coast Rail is begining to lose it's luster for the voters, time to dangle something new in front of their faces. Is it election season already, Deval?

Bullshit terminal, focused on trucking. We're prepared to spend $2bil+ on rail to New Bedford, but won't serve a port with it.

Oh well, it's bullshit anyway. South Coast Rail is begining to lose it's luster for the voters, time to dangle something new in front of their faces. Is it election season already, Deval?

They did just spend in the ballpark of $20Million to redo rail bridges there specifically for freight trains. The port is also connected to the freight rail line. It's too far south of downtown to have a stop on the commuter rail line.

And I don't know that SCR has really changed either way in the eyes of the voters. Those who are against it are still against it. Those who are for it are still for it. That hasn't changed.

Not huge news, but good news. New Bedford is speaking with a few developers to build a graduate student dorm downtown. A few of the proposed sites are great. One proposal for the vacant lot on Union St. between Purchase and pleasant would fill the only vacant lot on Union downtown (there are two other not so urban lots on Union, but they're at least occupied). Either way you cut it, adding 100-200 beds downtown is a smart move. Lowell has benefitted greatly from having student housing near downtown.

New Bedford seeks developers for downtown dorm

By NATALIE SHERMAN
nsherman@s-t.com
April 06, 2012 12:00 AM

NEW BEDFORD — The city is working aggressively to secure private developers to build a dorm for UMass Dartmouth graduate students in downtown New Bedford as part of broader plans to continue the revitalization of the area, city officials said Thursday.

The city expects to finalize a deal by summer with construction beginning next spring, according to Electronic Municipal Market Access, a national online database for municipal financial filings.

Here's the story

This video made me feel a tingle in my pants. Street Cars in New Bedford in the 1920s. I can only imagine what it must have been like to see that type of activity downtown.

http://youtu.be/lsWBg_6ss-g

Also, good news on the seaport improvements. Looks like they have $35 Million in funding and more on the way.

Full Story: http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120301/NEWS/203010342/1011/TOWN10
nbport.jpg

Finally, A restaurant/bar called, "Pier 37" opened on lower Union St. right next to Pizans Pizza, across from Catwalk and around the Corner from Cork and Rose Alley. A really nice block of restaurants and bars (now if only they'd fix the National Club). A nice rotisserie place called Braza opened on Pleasant St. downtown too. I had dinner and drink at Pier 37 on Valentines day and the scallops rank in the top two or 3 I've ever had. It'll do well.

I heard some rumblings from those in the restaurant indistry that the National Club was bought by the developer of the new hotel. When the Rt 18 project is finished they are planning on restoring the building and turning it into a steakhouse. Not sure how reliable this info is though.

I heard some rumblings from those in the restaurant indistry that the National Club was bought by the developer of the new hotel. When the Rt 18 project is finished they are planning on restoring the building and turning it into a steakhouse. Not sure how reliable this info is though.

I know that the property sold about 3 years ago to the owner of the Waterfront Grille (Standard Times had an article about it). There were plans then for a steakhouse or upgrade restaurant and bar. I don't know if Lafrance Hospitality (the hotel developer) has since bought it or that they are waiting until the 18 upgrade. Either way, It needs to happen. The restaurant and bar scene has been upgraded in that area times a million. The Catwalk, Pier 37, Cork, Pizans, and Rose Alley are all nice places that weren't there 10 years ago. The National Club is really the only holdout. And it's not even a "cool" dive bar with character (like Billy's Cafe in Fall River which is one of my favorites). It's a pit.

On a related note, I hope that when the upgrade does happen (and it seems inevitable), they do work on that whole building. It needs help. On my list of the top places downtown that need a major improvement, the National Club and the wooden building next to it (facing Route 18) are near the top. They fall outside the Whaling District so they don't get the same help and notoriety; but they're worth saving as well (the wooden one is in real bad shape... I think it houses marine supplies or something).

Just for the hell of it, here is my list of top property improvements that need to be made downtown. While I feel 1 is more important than 10, they're not in any specific order.

1) Empty lot on Union between Purchase and Pleasant. It's a gaping hole in the street wall and a real eyesore. There are talks of developing the site as a graduate dorm for UMass Dartmouth. With ground floor retail, that would be an ideal solution. Chances of something happening soon: very good.

2) St. Annes on Union. It's a suburban bank branch in downtown complete with surface parking, and one faux-colonial looking floor. It belongs on Route 6 in Dartmouth or Fairhaven. Not on one of the primary streets in downtown New Bedford. St. Anne's doesn't need to go, but it would be great if they redeveloped the whole site to be a little more urban. Still, I've heard of no plans for improvement and there's not exactly an outcry from the public. Chances of something happening soon: slim.

3) Urbanize the YMCA.Great organization, and a nice facility, but it's REALLY not and appropriate structure for downtown. It completely turns its back on Union Street and has a sliver of surface parking lot facing Union. This could be fixed (at least on the Union Street side) with a renovation and addition to open up the facade to Union Street a little better. I know there have at least been rumblings about doing that. Even with the renovation, the School Street, S. Water and S. 2nd street sides need help. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the surface lot with a garage with ground level retail. Parking is definitely necessary here... it just needs to be done better. Chances of something happening soon: not out of the question.

4) Urbanize the Elm Street Garage. The Elm St. Garage is an urban dead zone on the edge of downtown and the whaling district. Ground floor retail would be a good short terms solution. Since the garage is rarely full, replacing it with more emphasis on retail/office and fewer parking places (parking on the top levels or underground) would be more ideal. Elm Street has potential to be a secondary downtown retail/office street; but there are too many gaps right now. Unfortunately, I haven't heard any plans for modifications or demolition.Chances of something happening soon: none

5) Standard Times Building. The current standard times building on the corner of Elm and 18 is about as dated and anti-urban a building as you'll find downtown. It needs to be replaced as there's no retrofit that could really fix it. Unfortunately, the standard times appears quite content in their home there and doesn't have the resources to build anew. I would say that the only hope for this site is that the Standard Times moves somewhere else downtown and a developer takes it over and fixes it. Perhaps in conjunction with the Elm St. Garage redevelopment. Chances of something happening soon: slim/none

6) Small Surface Lot between Freestone's and Carter's on William. It's a bit of a blight on an otherwise excellent streetscape. It's only a small lot, but it has a lot of potential. I know it's been looked at recently, but I don't know of any solid plans. Chances of something happening soon: moderate

7) Surface lots on Elm. Specifically the one at the corner of Elm/Purchase (across from the Bank of America building) and the one behind the Times building. The solution is simple... mixed-use, urban development. However, there are no plans for any of that to happen as of right now. Chances of something happening soon: slim/none

8) New Bedford Bus Terminal. It's not as awful as people make it out to be, but it's still not great. It wouldn't take too much effort to improve the retail around the base of the building. It's far more urban than almost any bus terminal in any city in New England, but it needs work. Ideally, the entire terminal would be relocated to the site of the commuter rail station at Whale's Tooth. That way you'd have a fully intermodal transit facility with commuter bus, local bus, commuter rail and ferry connections. The city knows it needs work. Chances of something happening soon:moderate

9) Surface Lot, Purchase at Middle. This is the huge lot at the foot of the Regency tower. It's a prime site for a garage with ground level retail (parking is important) as well as some other mixed-use development to reconnect the area to the rest of downtown. I still haven't heard of any plans. Chances of something happening soon: slim

10) Route 6/Kempton/Pleasant intersection. This will NEVER be a truly urban intersection. However, there are improvements that can be made. Changing the surface of the actual intersection would be a major step forward. I'm thinking brick or cobblestone (at least the fake stuff) like Kenmore Square in Boston. That would be nice aesthetically, but the change in texture helps slow drivers making it more pedestrian friendly. Signal and aesthetic improvements could at least make it an attractive entrance for drivers entering downtown. Again, it will never be a great urban square, but it does need work. The city knows this and is planning improvements Chances of something happening soon: very good.

11) N. 6th Street. This is an edge street downtown so it shouldn't expected to be as active as Union, William, Purchase or Pleasant. However, there is still great architecture on this street and a few too many surface lots and anti-urban structures (Dunkin Donuts on the corner of Union in particular). Improvements here will be slow and have to take place over a long period of time. Still I see that type of development happening with the progression of downtown. Chances of something happening soon: good, albeit slow progress

Honorable Mentions:

- Surface Lot at Custom House Square. Yes, it's a surface lot but it's about as unoffensive a surface lot as you'll ever find in an urban area. For starters, the small plaza and fountain along William behind the Custom House are actually quite nice. The lot itself is often used as a recreational site for events like AHA New Bedford, Summerfest, Octoberfest, Bioneers, and now, the NB Jazz Festival. While I detest surface lots, this one doesn't really ruin the urbanity of the neighborhood. Furthermore, there are plans to develop the lot. The debate is whether to use the whole lot for development or convert some into park space. Frankly, I suggest leaving some as open/park space. It's in the center of the Whaling District and already sees quite a bit of activity. Chances of something happening soon: very good.

- Dover Street. This is a small, aesthetically pleasing cobblestone alleyway in the Whaling District. Outdoor functions are already hosted here and it's very pretty when it's all lit up (it's strung with lights and has nice planters at either end to prevent car traffic). I would LOVE to see some restaurants open out onto the alleyway. Places like the Blackstone Block in Boston, and Belden Place in San Francisco should be inspiration for how to utilize the alleyway. Chances of something happening soon: moderate

6) Small Surface Lot between Freestone's and Carter's on William. It's a bit of a blight on an otherwise excellent streetscape. It's only a small lot, but it has a lot of potential. I know it's been looked at recently, but I don't know of any solid plans. Chances of something happening soon: moderate

I have heard that there are plans for that lot...I think the mention was for a public space and if I'm not mistaking, it was either the Parks dept that mentioned it or the National Park Services...Can't recall

While on the topics of streetcars, I just watched the History Detectives on PBS and they did some investigating work to find out how and why ever so popular American Electric Streetcar got killed...

Pretty much, it was found GM and their aggressive expansion of the automobiles is what did it! They bought out many of the streetcar systems in the major streetcar cities of the time and replaced them with gas buses...

and guess who bought the streetcars from us? Canada! and used them for 60 years after!

By the way, the Rt 18 project is ahead of schedule and due to complete this year...Should be a drastic difference from what we've been used to...A separate bike/pedestrian lane will also be eradicated along the water front...Can't wait to see the finish work!

^I hope so! That area of the city needs a lot of work, but Acushnet Avenue is a very cool, very urban street and it would be nice to see things get cleaned up around it. At the moment, it's pretty lively and depending on where you are it can feel like Little Portugal (there is a strip of bars that if you walk into there's always a soccer game on and no one is speaking English), or Little Guatemala. It's very gritty, but also pretty cool and active. I'd love to see the Riverwalk project and influx of nicer residences make that whole area more accessible.

*edit*
Not huge news, but kind of cool. The Ocean Explorium is undergoing a small expansion after only 2 years of being open. It's adding a Shark and Ray Touch Tank.

Acushnet Ave is actually undergoing a major restructuring project right now which will drastically improve its streetscape. According to one person I spoke to involved in the plans, she mentioned bike lanes are not pictured but also part of the streetscape...I like the plan!:

http://www.newbedford-ma.gov/Planning/OpenHousePresentation2-15-12.pdf

http://www.utiledesign.com/projects/acushnet-avenue-planning-study/

I have heard that there are plans for that lot...I think the mention was for a public space and if I'm not mistaking, it was either the Parks dept that mentioned it or the National Park Services...Can't recall

I hope so! It's in the heart of the Whaling District (which would lead me to believe it's the NPS handling it as they run the park).

Still, I'd rather see a building there than a park. Custom House Square, across the street, makes an ideal spot for the park. The lot between Carters and Freestones was a building and should be again.

While on the topics of streetcars, I just watched the History Detectives on PBS and they did some investigating work to find out how and why ever so popular American Electric Streetcar got killed...

Pretty much, it was found GM and their aggressive expansion of the automobiles is what did it! They bought out many of the streetcar systems in the major streetcar cities of the time and replaced them with gas buses...

and guess who bought the streetcars from us? Canada! and used them for 60 years after!

This doesn't surprise me (and I've heard similar theories). It's a shame too because there are a lot of Americans who truly believe that streetcars simply aren't/weren't viable anymore which is why they're gone. I'm glad to see Providence taking steps in the right direction. I know New Bedford's former mayor (Scott Lang) was REALLY into the idea of having streetcars again, and there are many in NB who feel the same way. It's not a priority, but it would be nice for it to get to a point where there's serious discussion again.

By the way, the Rt 18 project is ahead of schedule and due to complete this year...Should be a drastic difference from what we've been used to...A separate bike/pedestrian lane will also be eradicated along the water front...Can't wait to see the finish work!

Yeah, I was down there this weekend and I was pretty amazed at how much work is going on. I think it's going to make a huge difference. I had no idea about the bike lane and pedestrian lane. Is that going along 18 or closer to the docks?

Acushnet Ave is actually undergoing a major restructuring project right now which will drastically improve its streetscape. According to one person I spoke to involved in the plans, she mentioned bike lanes are not pictured but also part of the streetscape...I like the plan!:

http://www.newbedford-ma.gov/Planning/OpenHousePresentation2-15-12.pdf

http://www.utiledesign.com/projects/acushnet-avenue-planning-study/

Yeah, like it a lot. Downtown is obviously pretty nice. However, I think Acushnet Ave. is a gem for those who like a little grit. It's dense and chalk full of ethnic restaurants markets and shops. There are a few places that would really surprise you if walked in the door. Try Cotali Mar if you haven't... looks nondescript from the outside but it looks like a Mediterranean villa on the inside complete with big fountain and "plaza" out back. The Roasted Pig (about a block off of the ave) is also a neighborhood gem. Their namesake is excellent.The bar scene on the Ave is actually a lot of fun too.

The infrastructure and aesthetic improvements will be a BIG upgrade.

Why? Isn't that a step backwards?

I don't think so. The goal is to slow automobile traffic through the area while improving pedestrian access to the waterfront and improving the aesthetics of the 18 corridor downtown. I think the project will accomplish all three of those things.

But how does removing a "separate bike/pedestrian lane" accomplish that goal?

I think he meant to say that the bike/ped path is being added, not eliminated.

But how does removing a "separate bike/pedestrian lane" accomplish that goal?

I didn't even notice the typo. He means they're adding ("erecting?") a bike path, not removing one. To my knowledge, there isn't one that exists right there.

2) St. Annes on Union. It's a suburban bank branch in downtown complete with surface parking, and one faux-colonial looking floor. It belongs on Route 6 in Dartmouth or Fairhaven. Not on one of the primary streets in downtown New Bedford. St. Anne's doesn't need to go, but it would be great if they redeveloped the whole site to be a little more urban. Still, I've heard of no plans for improvement and there's not exactly an outcry from the public. Chances of something happening soon: slim.

That property is listed for sale: If you have some imagination and $500K its future could be up to you.
http://www.showcase.com/b/Commercia...mLTkxZWZiNDUwY2QwZIlddoBY5M7vXhqcDPZbB82mVdxO

Honorable Mentions:

- Surface Lot at Custom House Square. Yes, it's a surface lot but it's about as unoffensive a surface lot as you'll ever find in an urban area. For starters, the small plaza and fountain along William behind the Custom House are actually quite nice. The lot itself is often used as a recreational site for events like AHA New Bedford, Summerfest, Octoberfest, Bioneers, and now, the NB Jazz Festival. While I detest surface lots, this one doesn't really ruin the urbanity of the neighborhood. Furthermore, there are plans to develop the lot. The debate is whether to use the whole lot for development or convert some into park space. Frankly, I suggest leaving some as open/park space. It's in the center of the Whaling District and already sees quite a bit of activity. Chances of something happening soon: very good.

For some reason - still trying to find the source - I feel like this is imminent. I seem to remember the City getting grant funds to do this. It is in the master plan as a high priority.

That property is listed for sale: If you have some imagination and $500K its future could be up to you.
http://www.showcase.com/b/Commercia...mLTkxZWZiNDUwY2QwZIlddoBY5M7vXhqcDPZbB82mVdxO

I hope whoever buys the property does something with it rather than just occupying it or collecting rent. If I had the money, I'd certainly do something with this spot.

For some reason - still trying to find the source - I feel like this is imminent. I seem to remember the City getting grant funds to do this. It is in the master plan as a high priority.

Maybe you're thinking of this poorly written Jack Spillane article? I just pulled it up in a google search. It looks like the plan is to turn it entirely into a park. While I'd rather see a mixed-use building, I think the site would work really well as a park. It's quite a bit that way already. Personally, I think they should go more the "plaza" route with it (to encourage local business and events to continue to use the space), but a park would work too.

Since the article is almost a year old, and he said work would begin in about a year, I'd assume you're right that it's imminent.

Last edited:
Still looking for what I remember. Dammit, getting old sucks. I even remember renderings in which the space would be optimized for feasts and festivals with built-in tent anchors and the works.
I keep thinking.

It looks like the city of New Bedford and the National Parks Service is now operating tourist shuttles on three separate routes around the city. There's a downtown route, a Buttonwood Park route and a Ft. Taber route. The cost is $1 for a wristband that allows free transfers all day, and free for kids under 12 and anyone with a student I.D.

I love the concept. Free would be more appealing, but it's hard to complain about a dollar. The shuttles are brightly colored (they stand out well) and hit all of the major spots in town that anyone would want to see. They launch just in time for Summerfest too. SRTA service is sub par and NOT user friendly, so this is a good alternative.

Here's a link to the NPS's .pdf on the shuttle. Good info, and I'll be interested to see how well it's used.
http://www.nps.gov/nebe/planyourvisit/upload/NB-Brochure.pdf

Downtown New Bedford just got another wine bar by the way...Near No Problemo, same side...Looks really nice! Not sure if they're open yet but I walked by it the other day and looks awesome! I think it's called Crush

Also, the old space that did not last very long as "Commons" on Purchase St became "Urban Grill". Have not ate there yet but the space looks great and it seems to be doing better than Commons. best of all, it's BYOB! So you can pick up a bottle of wine accross the street at the wine shop before you go!

Here's the website: http://urbangrillenb.com/

Back