New Bedford Developments

Interesting bit about this, there's an email in the article to "suggest routes." I found that funny, but it's a good way to make locals feel like their input is heard and get the word about the service out there. I like the strategy. I emailed her just for the hell of it and got a really quick reply. I doubt anything will come of it, but it's kind of cool that they're that communicative.

Yes, agreed. It is interesting. I think they are weighing the options of Newark and Myrtle Beach. Maybe they are trying to gauge which would have more demand, but that is just a guess.

It has been great seeing the increased activity at the airport. I’ve seen larger aircraft in the past at EWB (DC-9’s, C130’s, ATR 72) but it’s nice to see a larger regularly scheduled flight. They used the larger CRJ700 on one trip instead of the normal CRJ200.

Sunrise this morning from Fairhaven
3A15F823-0CD4-47F2-86AF-423D1A934A9F.jpeg
D1218974-7283-42A4-A83F-D71938C17080.jpeg

Looks like offshore wind is gaining some momentum in New Bedford. Last week, an offshore wind training facility was proposed at an former seafood packaging plant. This week, a large staging facility was proposed for 29 waterfront acres just south of downtown that currently houses the unused Cannon St. power station. It also looks as if this project will include a small mixed use component (adjacent to the existing hotel).

A couple of New Bedford updates.

The building slated for 117 Union St. finally broke ground this week. It'll be great improvement to that corner.
117 Union.jpg

On the other side of the coin, UMass Dartmouth is leaving downtown's Star Store. On one hand, it's hard to see the prominent structure remaining vacant for long. But it is New Bedford, and it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. The mayor is making a pitch for NOAA to consolidate its regional offices in New Bedford. I personally think it's more likely that the space would be converted to housing. Either way, the loss of the CVPA campus means the loss of some foot traffic, vibrance, and energy on that corner. Hopefully the wait for a new tenant won't be too long.

The city seems to be going all in on trying to encourage market-rate development:

Actually, good stuff. It's interesting that the developers see the $2-3k range as a new market - people who would have bought in the 2010s, but can't quite afford the $3k mortgage they'd likely be saddled with if buying in today's market with today's interest rates. I guess that makes sense. I couldn't imagine paying $2-3k in rent when I was living on the South Coast, but I also can't imagine paying $3k+/mo on a $400k 1700sqft home in a borderline New Bedford neighborhood that likely needs additional work. So maybe it is a brand new market.

A 52-unit apartment development will replace a former RMV in New Bedford. What to know.​

1707753320321.jpeg

“NEW BEDFORD — Construction of 52 new rental apartments providing affordable housing for low and moderate-income working families is ready to begin, Alinea Capital Partners announced today.

The real estate development and investment firm behind the 10@8th transit-oriented development led by managing member L. Duane Jackson is headquartered in Boston and operates in Massachusetts, South Carolina and Florida.

When completed, the project will be the largest new construction project built downtown in 38 years, according to a press release from Alinea Capital Partners. Completion is currently expected in mid-2025.

“After years of collaboration with the City of New Bedford and community leaders, we are pleased to begin construction of this landmark development. New Bedford’s working families deserve housing that is convenient, attractive, and affordable,” Jackson said in the release.

Jackson cited the support of the Office of Mayor Jon Mitchell and the public and private partners who invested time and capital in the project.

“As New Bedford becomes a hub of America’s emerging offshore wind industry, we are proud to be a critical part of building the Whaling City’s bright future,” he added.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/rea...r-rmv-in-new-bedford-what-to-know/ar-BB1htshF

"Detailed examination of New Bedford’s housing crisis calls for almost 9,000 new homes to stop the region’s rapidly spiraling housing costs."

Lots of back and forth about the proposal to replace the bridge. The city is looking for something higher (250+ feet) than what the state is proposing (125 feet vertical lift bridge) to accommodate offshore wind vessels. I'm not sure it's possible for a vertical lift to have that type of clearance in this space. I think 250 feet would be among the highest lift bridges in the world. If possible, that would be a pretty neat record for the city to have. But apart from making the inner harbor viable for larger ships, this has the potential to be a pretty significant visual landmark.

Last edited:
Lots of back and forth about the proposal to replace the bridge. The city is looking for something higher (250+ feet) than what the state is proposing (125 feet vertical lift bridge) to accommodate offshore wind vessels. I'm not sure it's possible for a vertical lift to have that type of clearance in this space. I think 250 feet would be among the highest lift bridges in the world. If possible, that would be a pretty neat record for the city to have. But apart from making the inner harbor viable for larger ships, this has the potential to be a pretty significant visual landmark.
Screengrabs:
IMG_0101.jpeg

IMG_0102.jpeg

Vs original span and google earth rip:
IMG_0103.jpeg

IMG_0104.jpeg

https://newbedfordlight.org/wp-cont...wy-n-bedford-swing-bridge-mtg-pres-010924.pdf

Back