The Reichstag, m i reich?

czsz

Reaction score
...but it's also not really surrounded by much that would attract people to it. With the Spree to the north and the Tiergarten to the south, this is not really a vital green lung; it exists only to fulfill a sort of ceremonial monumentality. Not really analogous to the Greenway scarring its way through Boston's most architecturally dense cityscape, and the potential that contains. And, minor point, weren't the rail and road tunnels dug through after the park was completed?

Where there are attractions, there are people. A few hundred feet south of your shots:

32705553.jpg

czsz said:
.... And, minor point, weren't the rail and road tunnels dug through after the park was completed?
czsz, the tunnels were constructed in the former construction staging area for the Reichstag, using, as I recall, cut and cover technique. The tunnels, or at least the train tunnel, was cut through the area where you see the horizontal stone slabs. The tunnels were dug after the Reichstag was done, but conjunctive with construction of the Chancellery buildings etc, and a little before they started building the new Hauptbahnhof in earnest.

That Reichstag is one ugly classical building.

either iteration of this building would be an icon in boston.

why do you think its ugly?

^ Bad massing --particularly the too-tall end pavilions-- and uninspired detailing. Awkwardly proportioned pediment with too-flat ornament, pointless urns.

Personally I prefer it with the original dome --before it got torched. But even in its original form it was no thing of beauty. Academic and uninspired.

A Boston Beaux-Arts building that's about equally devoid of genius: MIT.

Also, the exterior looks like concrete with peeling paint.

ablarc said:
^ Bad massing --particularly the too-tall end pavilions-- and uninspired detailing. Awkwardly proportioned pediment with too-flat ornament, pointless urns.

Is there such a thing as a pointful urn?

justin

Just have to say, vansnook, this title is brilliant.

justin said:
ablarc said:

Is there such a thing as a pointful urn?

justin

I've always been a fan of these:

Robie1.jpg

P9078827e.jpg

Back