The ultimate idea

stick n move

Superstar
Reaction score
Seeing how most of the area that was up the fort point channel has been filled in, if I had my way and could do what ever I wanted I would bring some of that history back to boston. Most of what I filled in is a switch yard which goes down to only a few rail lines so the rail lines could have a bridge and extend the switch yard further out into southie and not in such a prime location. I added some streets to the grid where housing could be built and it would give boston a whole new vantage point, and make southies real estate boom.

cheup.jpg

It's a lovely idea and all, and I have thought about it myself, but you just absolutely killed the Red Line yard, it's maintence facility, the commuter rail's south side layovers and facilities, which are also used by Amtrak. Not to mention the Old Colony and Fairmount lines = completely obliterated.

There's better (IMO) places to reclaim in the name of the channel.

i kno i did lol it was just a utopian vision, there is a lot of parking lots in southie where they could go though.......

Last edited:
Rail infrastruture needs to be preserved and enlarged. Even the Noth Point area in East Cambridge should, in my opinion, be mostly preserved for freight rail yard expansion.

South Station itself needs to be expanded, and the commuter and freight rail lines and the Red Line yard in the Fort Point Channel area need to be protected. The current rail system in and around Boston is but a pale shadow of what it was prior to the regretful growth of the automobile, trucking and Interstate highway system, and we are paying the price in congested roadways and dependance on fossil fuels.

IMO, North Point yard should only see development within 2 blocks of the McGrath Highway, the rest should stay rail yard and North Station approach tracks. It's a bit of a bad spot though as you can't really pass through the yard, you can go in, but then you have to make a reverse move.

Keeping the rail yards there is a waste. Your ideas are based on the assumption that rail travel will increase in the coming century. Now I am right on board with ya'll there but you need to be looking forward, not backward. First off, we can't anticipate commuting patters. At the moment South Station is in more of a need for expansion than North Station. Also, any large scale rail expansion in Boston will undoubtedly include the North-South Rail Link. This seems impossible given the current climate but one day, perhaps 40 years from now, the demand will be there. The need for the rail yards of the 19th century won't be as pressing in the mid-21st century. Much of the rail traffic which were serviced by those yards was either industrial/freight which is not ever coming back or for commuter trains which could be supplemented by expanding layup yards at far out terminals where land is much cheaper.

Keep in mind that the rail yards, all of them, were built where they were due to the cheapness of the land. Even today no rail company would pass up the opportunity to move their facilities to cheaper land and sell off very valuable land for development. Now, if the demand were here today, then NorthPoint would probably be designed as an air rights project (though we all know how easy those are to pull off!) It would make much more sense for any future rail yards to be built further out where land is cheaper. Hell, they could even be built in Everett in that industrial no-mans land.

Back then, Boston also just filled in water when it needed to. Why, the rich are bored with their current quartier? You don't say! Let's dump some mud in the Charles and put up a new one!

Those were the days.

Albany Street/Cabot Garages. There's also an Amtrak maintenance depot there too. That is I believe the largest of the MBTA's bus garages. Some other city or town would have to give up some serious land to remove that.

If I remember right back in the 60's?, early 70's? when the storage yards behind South Station were rebuilt they drove pilings between the tack to allow for future air rights develepment. I'm sure the demand isn't there yet

Back