Time & Temp Building / Brown St. Parking Garage Redevelopment | Portland

As long as the developers completely restore the exterior, replace all of the windows, improve the appearance of the top two floors, replace the outdated sign on top and bring the arcade back to life they can do whatever they want with the interior rooms as far as I'm concerned. Latest rendering and I like how the fencing on top of the roof tends to add a little more height visually and will keep intoxicated guests from falling off the building! The architect did an excellent job of aligning the pilasters and adding thin brick to the 1963 two story addition which will be totally rebuilt.
Image 11-28-23 at 6.04 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Image 11-28-23 at 6.06 PM.jpg

Side profile as viewed from the east and I am liking the cable rail fence.

Image 11-28-23 at 6.08 PM.jpg

The rear profile of the tower is not my favorite due to the massive new fire escape that will be added which removes a few columns of windows but their options were limited. Also, the top portion of the fire escape appears to block a section of the digital sign which I'm guessing will only be noticeable from a certain elevation.

Are there communal kitchens serving those efficiency apartments?

While I understand wanting to upgrade the sign, both for energy efficiency and because American Sign & Indicator is no more, It's hate for it to go fully digital or something; the old-schoolness of it is part of its charm. I remember, when Portland Savings changed their branding to "The Bank" and changed the sign to match (it had previously been 3-phase with "PSB" the ad), one of the phases wasn't set to shut off completely before the next came on; it just changed abruptly and young me found it jarring.

Plus, even with modernization I believe they're constrained by state law; the reason that it's the only flashing sign facing a state highway in Maine is because there's a specific provision to grandfather it, and I believe that is tightly written (John Martin would only give Portland so much).

I'm thinking the new sign would maintain its current font, possibly add the ability for a 6th character and have the latest LED technology. Not sure if a few color options would be permitted for holidays and special occasions?

A few notes from tonight's neighborhood meeting in the Canopy Hotel which included a short slide presentation and a Q&A session with the developer and a Woodward and Curran representative.

* Project is moving forward and there is a City Council meeting on Tuesday.
* Preble Street will be the main entrance for the proposed hotel and the sidewalk will be rebuilt with brick and granite and will include trees.
* Developer will have 18 months to commence construction if project is approved on Tuesday.
* No Maine based banks have the capital to finance the development so out of state options are being pursued.
* Current plan for the hotel name would be the "Chapman Hotel at the Time & Temperature Building".
* Potential restaurant in the former WMTW 8 studio may be called the "Preble House" due to the previous structure that was on the site.

No new renderings were available that are different than the ones already posted. The possibility of adding a row of vertical windows on the new fire escape on the rear of the building was brought up and may be considered.

Last edited:
Of course, the reality is that all our largest banks are now from out of state, ever since TD consolidated their ownership of Banknorth. Purely in-state, I believe we're left with Bangor and Camden Savings, Androscoggin Bank, and a bunch of little ones.

Maybe the ownership group should connect with the same financial lenders that backed Redfern's tower project.

Back