Tokyo

shawn

Reaction score
Long time member, first-time thread-starter. I'm a Boston native working in Tokyo, and like many other people here, I've got a thing for skyscrapers, urbanscapes, city planning, the works. I love reading this forum nearly every day to see how Boston is doing, as I only get to visit once every other year or so.

I just got my first DSLR with some lenses. I'm not that good yet, there's a lot to learn. Plus I don't have a tripod. But I've taken the camera to work a few times, walked around the neighborhood, and gone up on my building's roof to shoot some Tokyo cityscapes.

A lot of you guys are fantastic photographers, so please be critical. I am shooting and editing in RAW, and I post-process in Lightroom 5. I already noticed that most images look darker on my work PC than on my home PC with the superior display, so I guess I also need to learn how to optimize for all screens.

These are all from my office:

YGP---South.jpg

My desk view looking south, with Kawasaki and Yokohama on the horizon

Meguro-and-Kawasaki.jpg

The bridge on the horizon is Bay Bridge in Yokohama

Naka-Meguro-and-SW.jpg

Looking southwest

Jiyugaoka---Fuji.jpg

You can clearly see Mt Fuji on nice days (rare, but it's a guarantee the day after a typhoon)

Ebisu-to-Shinjuku.jpg

Looking east to northeast, with Ebisu in the foreground, Shibuya in the mid, and Shinjuku's big skyline center-horizon. The big green patch is Yoyogi Park.

Ebisu.jpg

Yamanote Line tracks heading out of Ebisu Station to Shibuya Station - the Yamanote Line sees daily riderships of 3.73 million. Shibuya is the world's second busiest train station, with 2.98 million daily riders passing through.

Midtown-and-Hills.jpg

Looking northwest at Midtown and Roppongi Hills

Roppongi-1-chome---Toranomon.jpg

Looking northwest at the Toranomon and Azabu areas

Highway.jpg

Looking east at an elevated expressway running through the Azabu-Juban area

Morning-Haze.jpg

Morning haze looking east, the bridge on the right horizon is Rainbow Bridge to Odaiba

America-Bashi.jpg

Looking down

YGP-Tower.jpg

Looking up (I work on the 30th)

Ebisu-JR-Tower.jpg

Around the office

YGP-Courtyard.jpg

Setting up for Christmas a few days before Halloween

Yoyogi-Park-Fun.jpg

Yoyogi Park

Obligatory-Lunch-Shot.jpg

Wife's lunch

These are all either from my roof, balcony, or from my neighborhood:

Yushima-Sunset.jpg

Rainbow.jpg

Nezu-Sky.jpg

Golden-Daibutsu.jpg

Giant golden Buddha statue in the center, it's about 20 feet tall and gilded like the Statehouse dome

Nezu-Typhoon.jpg

This was actually during a typhoon; Tokyo only got the fringe (no rain, really strong winds, crazy clouds)

Rooves.jpg

Nezu-Wide.jpg

Nezu-Hedge.jpg

Nezu-Side-Street.jpg

Sendagi-Store.jpg

Selfie.jpg

Great Pics!

I rented an apartment near the Nishi Ogikubo station for a few weeks last year. Absolutely loved Tokyo and the other parts of the country I visited. I posted some of my photos in this thread:

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=4215&highlight=Japan

Some of the neighborhood shots remind my of the area around Nishi Ogi where we stayed. The narrow, shared streets were a breath of fresh air. Can't wait to get back.

This thread laid a serious smackdown...please share many more photos of Tokyo, k?

I already noticed that most images look darker on my work PC than on my home PC with the superior display, so I guess I also need to learn how to optimize for all screens.

Good luck with that issue as it can be quite bedeviling. I do all my editing on my Mac and the work computers are all Macs (which seem to be consistent in their brightness/contrast/saturation) so to my eyes my pictures always look good, but for all I know my photos look like shit on PCs...? All I know is I set my screen to the same brightness and contrast every time I edit.

But to relate it to my field of music production and performance, it's like mixing a song and then going and listening to the mix not only on the highest end speakers available, but also hearing what it sounds like in a car, or crappy laptop speakers, or crunched down to a poor quality MP3 etc etc...

Just like adjusting the equilizer to get the sound to be close to real life, monitors can be calibrated similarly. Most people outside of professional visual arts or printing don't bother with it due to cost. Sometimes you can find the settings posted online by professional calibrators. Thats what I did for my television.

The pictures look amazing though. I really need to visit Japan one day, its on the bucket list.

Saw these pics on SSP but didn't comment. Big thanks for posting!

Have spent much of the last 2 years in Tokyo and Yokohama. Back in the States now (much to my dismay), but will ultimately be returning to Japan for the indefinite future. Looking at these pics only serves to remind me what I'm missing out on.

Now excuse me while I go burn the clothes I wore while riding the BART this morning. (To be fair, even the T blows away Bay Area transit in the overall cleanliness department)

Beautiful photos man. Thanks for sharing them with us. I look forward to seeing more from you. I haven't made it to Japan yet, but eventually I'll get there. Tokyo's hustle and bustle and urban fabric has always fascinated me.

Those are beautiful pictures dude. That one with the rainbow and sky tree became the background on my phone.

Your pictures look excellent, thank you for posting them. I have always wanted to visit Tokyo. Your office view is stunning!

Back