Transportation Dreams: Cartography Challenge at the Leventhal Center

itspangler

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm new to archBOSTON and am posting here in my role as Assistant Curator at the Leventhal Map & Education Center (LMEC) at the Boston Public Library.

At LMEC, we host an annual Cartography Challenge that invites designers and cartographers to submit their maps in response to a prompt. We award the author of the winning submission $250 as well as the chance to have their work displayed in our digital collections portal (here is the winning map from last year's challenge).

I thought the archBOSTON community might be interested in our current Challenge, Transportation Dreams. In this challenge, we've asked people to submit their own speculative maps of Boston's public transit system:

From the unreal to the unrealized, we want to see what you can dream up. Will you create a public transit system perfectly tailored to your personal everyday geographies? What about a reimagined rail network that uses Climate Ready Boston data to account for varying levels of storm surge and sea level rise? Perhaps you’ll show us an MBTA diagram that’s all ferries and canals, or a bird’s eye view of Boston’s regional transit network in 2123. Maybe you want to use the LMEC’s historic Boston shoreline dataset to imagine what Boston’s transit system would look like if no new land had ever been created across the city.

Anything is on the table—all of these, and more—so long as whatever you map doesn’t exist right now!

You can refer to the Challenge announcement for more details. The deadline for this year's Challenge is 5pm ET on December 19, 2023. Please feel free to share this widely and don't hesitate to reach out to me directly if you have any questions!

Cheers,
Ian Spangler

I hope somebody from Transit Matters takes the challenge, and does a nice job showing the regional rail system with the North-South rail link.

I hope somebody from Transit Matters takes the challenge, and does a nice job showing the regional rail system with the North-South rail link.
Me too! Incidentally, we talk about the North-South link in our current exhibition, Getting Around Town, which might also be of interest to folks who are based in or near Boston but haven't had a chance to visit. (The show was curated by Steven Beaucher, author of Boston in Transit. )

For anyone who's following this, just a reminder that next Wednesday is the deadline for submissions. Looking forward to seeing submissions from the archBOSTON community!
I thought the deadline, December 19, is a Tuesday? Has it been extended by one day?

Back