Tree House Residence Hall Tower @ MassArt | 578 Huntington Avenue | Fenway

Boston02124

Reaction score
Is there a thread for this already?
6a3ebc1d04_Build_12112009.jpg

050-16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: mass art dormitory

Looks like it will be where the parking lot is at Vancouver and Huntington. The setback is a bit overkill, but hey, it's better than a parking lot. Isn't that the gold standard for development in Boston these days?

I was going to ask, where the hell is MassArt getting all this money lately.

The article answered that question: "Construction of the new residence hall is funded entirely by tax-exempt revenue bonds issued through the Massachusetts State College Building Authority (MSCBA), which funds construction of student activity facilities at the state?s nine public colleges," MassArt said in a press release. "On Dec. 8, 2009, the MSCBA sold the bonds necessary to fund the project at a blended rate of 4.26 percent."

21 stories? When I went to Wentworth and they were getting the approval for the dorm right next to the MassArt one, I think its 612 Huntington, the city told them they could only build to 6 floors because of height restrictions because of the church on mission hill.

If done right, meaning the building has a good scale at street level with plenty outdoor seating and some trees, I don't mind the setback, it could be a nice little area.

Re: Mass Art Dormitory

That could be really cool or really ugly. Time will tell. I agree about the setback, ridiculous.

That could be really cool or really ugly.

I'm guessing the latter. The total development cost is $420 psf. On a 21 story tower, with an assymetrical, modern design? Of course I don't know what that $61M referred to (could be just hard costs), but that seems skimpy for a tower.

high rise hard costs in the city are about 250 psf these days...420 is plenty with soft costs included

$250 psf to deliver a shell right? This is a fully built out residential building.

Mass Art / WIT development

In the image below from the Goody Clancy website (http://www.goodyclancy.com) you can see the proposed Mass Art dorm tower at the site in front of the WIT dorm, plus some further planned development at WIT and that triangle parcel on Huntington... this was part of the WIT campus planning project but I assume any planned projects will not get going for a few years due to the economy...

/\ Wooooooooooooooooooooooord! /\

I knew WIT had an expansion plan but I didn't know Goody Clancy was doing it! That looks really cool. It also proves that there will be that ridiculous setback, however it also appears that they will convert on of their parking lots into a quad so that's cool.

^ No, not a shell...everything except furniture.

Judging by that rendering above it's not so much a setback as a well defined lawn enclosed on 3 sites.

So the field across from the MFA is being moved to a parking lot on Parker, but the current site of the field is faded out in the above image. Odd.

Would love to know what they're doing with the current site of the field. It's so awkward sitting in front of the MFA.

The Goody Clancy Render of the Wentworth campus has the Firehouse being replaced by an acedemic building. Engine 39 is one of the busier stations in Boston. I can't see them replacing this strategically located fire station.

Back