Tufts Development Projects

It could be worse, such as the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto.

1690394954560.png

Not my picture but you can see part of the glass barriers at the top of the Tufts library. This glass encircles the entire plaza. Not only does it create an unwelcome sense of enclosure, but look at how poor the quality is. They ruined it!

Boston by Linda Custer, on Flickr

Not my picture but you can see part of the glass barriers at the top of the Tufts library. This glass encircles the entire plaza. Not only does it create an unwelcome sense of enclosure, but look at how poor the quality is. They ruined it!

Boston by Linda Custer, on Flickr
Sign of the times, I guess. Northeastern's new EXP building has a rooftop lounge and it too has a glass wall which I do not believe was shown in the original drawings.

Legal safeguard to prevent jumpers and lawsuits??

Some construction photos from today of Blakeley Hall, Eaton Hall, and 123 Packard.

Blakeley is being repurposed into dorms for 100 first-year undergrads (hopefully replacing the temporary mods). The fire escapes which used to cover the back three sides of the building have been removed, which is a good change. Blakeley's renovation is mentioned here.

Eaton's new elevator core seems to have gone up, not covering the existing windows. Overall, I like the new design. I remember as a student being very confused about where to enter the building, and I think then new addition will help with that. I also like the glass curtain wall which will allow views through the building to the existing brick walls when completed.

123 Packard is being converted into dorms for the Fletcher school. I don't love the big concrete wall they put up, blocking some of the views of the building, but I understand the need for excavation to create an accessible entrance. The article on Tufts' capital projects page mentions a 3-story elevator. I wonder if that will be contained within the existing structure or a new core will be created like at Packard Hall?

Attachments

• IMG_8798.jpeg
    IMG_8798.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8799.jpeg
    IMG_8799.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8801.jpeg
    IMG_8801.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8803.jpeg
    IMG_8803.jpeg