Tuscan Market - Salem NH

MonopolyBag

Reaction score
So I live in Salem. Great town, but the retail side of things and town facilities (school, recreation, police) are all shit. Sorry about the language, but they are.

Well this is cool, and was planned for long time, but the guy who wanted to do this passed away, now the current owner plans to push forward. I would like to see similar development like this in and around the "depot" area in Salem as well as the length of 97 "Main St." and something done with the Rockingham race track. But somehow preserve the current track and building for historical aspects.

But between this, and the new Market Basket, some cool things are happening. Now if only we could get a new school and police station built! GOD!

http://www.salemnhprojects.org/project?d=planning&p=83

I think between this, Derry as of what it has become, Manchester, Londonderry, and Hooksett with all of these cool new plans they have, if all go through then together it will really help Southern NH become a better place to live.

I don't know why you have to do that. I don't know why you have to swear in front of the kid. All you need to do is say "earmuffs" and you can saw whatever, fuck, shit, piss.

Lol. But yeah, that looks really nice.

For the few that care. Looks like some work has began here. A new parking lot is being built, so far very nice. The old resteraunt is being redone with pavers on the first floor. And some land is being cleared in the back. Slow progress, I don't know exactly what is going on yet there. It will be itneresting to see how this is incorporated into the rest fo the depot redevelopment and the intersection being redone.

I'm not sure I get the Tuscan connection--I think I'm missing some background info, and the architecture is a bit too pastiche for me, but otherwise this is the sort of thing we need to see more of in southern New Hampshire.

The problem with towns like Londonderry, Salem, Hooksett, Bedford and to a lesser extent Derry is that they were historically agricultural communities with either no real center or a very small one, but nothing on the scale of the small, but dense mill towns that they long ago surpassed in terms of population. If Milford, Newmarket, Tilton or other small mill towns had become the major suburbs instead of the farm towns along I-93, they'd still be spread out but at least centered around a dense historic center to give them some cohesion.

Salem needs a center even more than Londonderry in my mind, since it is bigger and farther from Manchester. Even though the Woodmont Orchards will almost certainly have better architectural design, I do like that this is being proposed in a small, but historically dense and centrally important part of Salem. It's a new development and the architecture looks like artificial history, but it's not an artificial neighborhood by any means. Being part of a historical neighborhood, it's also already well-situated near I-93 and an old rail line, either of which could be used for public transit connections to Manchester, Lawrence and Boston in the future.

I do not know what you are missing, but explore the Salem web site.

I have lived in Salem my hole life. And the town has great potential, but IMO the town government sucks. 28 is trash, the depot is trash, and the only nice places are neighborhoods where the people living there have some money and have nice yards.

But overall I love the town. Due to location, school system being goo d(but we do need a new school and police department)

So, that restaurant, the Italian one on 97 near the old train station, was owned by some rich dude, who tragically died. The new owner, currently who has some money, apparently owns a bunch of land and old buildings now just sitting there. Now you can see it in the buildings (only a few) but the depot area is a very very good spot for a town center since it was already.

The Tuscan thing however will be next to the depot, and be Italian influenced. Which IMO is fine.

The depot is just begging to be redeveloped once the town puts the incentives in place, new better zoning and guidelines, and a better a d new intersection there.

97 all together is a very nice rd. that should be redeveloped into a pedestrian friendly environment IMO. The town commons (near Mike's Red Barn and Lawrence Rd.) is another area that I am itching to see turn into a Ped. friendly Salem area.

And yes, I think all towns deserve a town center. And should grow, and with proper growth rather than not planning, I think in the long run we will end up with more practical, better looking, communities while protecting more land to keep natural. Which ultimately is the goal with overpopulation.

Back