UMass Amherst Developments

I have a bunch of photos of UMass that I've collected over the past year or so.

First some aerial shots from the top of the library. The first one shows the two construction project currently in progress: a new student union with some extensive landscape work (foreground) and the new Worcestor dining commons (right edge).

There has been a lot of new construction in the past decade. The new buildings are very nice and have transformed a lot of previously empty or bleak areas of campus.

Integrated Science Building

Physical Sciences Building

Life Science Lab

Olver Design Building

Studio Arts Building

Isenberg School of Management

Integrative Learning Center

Polymer Research Center

The new Student Union, u/c

The new Worcestor Dining Commons, u/c

North Residential Area

Central Residential Area

Northeast Residential Area

The Haigis Mall, showcasing some of the egregious brutalist architecture that UMass is generally know for. If this is what you think of when you think of UMass I hope the rest of the photos here can help change your impression a little bit.

University Club Building

Franklin Dining Commons and the vegetable garden

Skinner Building

And finally, the view from North Pleasant Street

Somehow I don't have any photos of either Southwest or of the Commonwealth Honors College. I'll try and get some on a future visit and post them here eventually.

.......The Haigis Mall, showcasing some of the egregious brutalist architecture that UMass is generally know for. If this is what you think of when you think of UMass I hope the rest of the photos here can help change your impression a little bit.

Incredible job with that portfolio, Poolio. Just magnificent. Thank you!!!!

It's incredible to see what that university has achieved the past decade - - it's not the ol' UMass at all.

I graduated in 2010. Sure has changed a lot since!

Wow, a lot has changed since I was there 30 years ago. I had occasion to drive through campus last year for the first time in at least a decade, and was quite impressed at all the new pretty buildings. Glad to see Thompson still looks like a public trash receptacle, though.

I love they got Bjarke Ingels Group for School of Management. It's nice to see something on a smaller scale locally, outside of Manhattan high rises. The Olver Design Building and Old Chapel Restoration also standout additons to everything else that has changed.

Wow, a lot has changed since I was there 30 years ago. I had occasion to drive through campus last year for the first time in at least a decade, and was quite impressed at all the new pretty buildings. Glad to see Thompson still looks like a public trash receptacle, though.

Wouldn't be the same if there wasn't some anachronistic brutalism left to give the students a backdrop to flash-riot on the quad on a random spring Tuesday afternoon. Tradition and all. . .

Some photos of a snowy campus from earlier today.

They finished construction on the new Student Union renovation and Campus Core landscaping in Fall 2020. This is the first time I've been back because of COVID. This is the area under construction in the first photo of my post #22 above. Here it is blanketed in snow:

And one from before the snow

The chapel

Nice to see some UMass pics! CommCol looks totally different from when I was there 2006-2010! Overall they had just finished North Apts when I started, and the rec center and ISB were done by my Sophomore year. There's been a lot of change!

Nice to see some UMass pics! CommCol looks totally different from when I was there 2006-2010! Overall they had just finished North Apts when I started, and the rec center and ISB were done by my Sophomore year. There's been a lot of change!

I was there at the same time, although I may have done a couple extra years.

I try to visit a few times a year because there's no place like the pioneer valley.

Just for the hell of it....

They stuck us first and second year CommCol kids in Orchard Hill in 2000-2001. That's when the Rape Trail wasn't lit or widely-paved. It looks like such a nicer experience now.

Yes, I know it's just a hockey championship, but Kevin Cullen of the Globe put his finger right on the amazing situation at UMass Amherst the other day:

Yay UMass! Some really nice new campus architecture there, along with good preservation and adaptive reuse of older buildings! Definitely looks a bit different than when I graduated in 2003!

Back to Amherst for another visit on Saturday. Beautiful day.

View from the 7th floor of John Quincy Adams

The newly renovated Student Union and campus center

The new Worcester Dining Commons in the Northeast residential area is also open

And a couple random ones (Sycamore and then Olver + Studio Arts)

Back to Amherst for another visit on Saturday. Beautiful day.

View from the 7th floor of John Quincy Adams

The newly renovated Student Union and campus center

The new Worcester Dining Commons in the Northeast residential area is also open

And a couple random ones (Sycamore and then Olver + Studio Arts)

Great stuff again, Poolio!

Is it me, or is the landscaping far improved this year?????? I don't see any scraggly grass or stone strewn dirt paths in any of those pics. It seems that the campus has truly upped its game.

Back