Unbuilt Highways in Massachusetts

The F.E. Everette Turnpike has just begun a five-year $160,000,000 improvement project which will widen the existing two-lane sections to three lanes and a breakdown lane where appropriate. After these three projects are complete, exits 6 and 7 on 293, currently the most hellish in the state, will be completely replaced. Far more than a problem of congestion, this is a real safety issue that the state will finally tackle. I don't know what's involved in changing a state highway to an interstate, but I suspect that the tolls in Bedford might be an issue. For some reason I think that there are different restrictions on what the funds can be used for depending on whether it is an interstate or not. Here's a link to FE Everette project: Everett Turnpike Widening
$160M in add-a-lanes to feed the induced demand beast, but not a penny for commuter rail on the same exact corridor.

A more New Hampshire set of circumstances does not exist. :rolleyes:

Can we expect them to regularly post F.E.E.T. pics throughout the project?

Also, this is probably a mistake and not a hint, but if these two bridges are actually going to be over I-293 then they're indeed changing the designation, since this portion of the Turnpike is not currently an Interstate.

1675641320304.png

The F.E.E.T. widening seems like a rather wasteful project. Aside from the induced demand aspect of it, it’s not like current conditions are that bad. It can get slightly busy at times, but certainly less so than most highways in Eastern MA. Just like NH’s recently completed absurd widening of I-93: trying to funnel as many cars as possible into the state. A very 1950s mindset.

The F.E.E.T. widening seems like a rather wasteful project. Aside from the induced demand aspect of it, it’s not like current conditions are that bad. It can get slightly busy at times, but certainly less so than most highways in Eastern MA.

As a regular traveler on both of those roads, I full agree that widening the FEET is totally unnecessary. I do think I-93 did need to be widened, or at least made to be more safe. For whatever reason, it always seemed to be much more "white knuckle" than the FEET.

I do agree that failing to invest in other transit is a mistake, but that's the NH way. It's very much a "it doesn't benefit me, so why should I pay for it" kind of state, both as a result of attitude and limited tax base (disclaimer, I'm from NH, but no longer live there). IMHO, investing in transit is a long-view type of thing. Yes, there may not be full trains all day now, but as populations grow, it'll be needed more and more, even without the center of gravity that transit hubs tend to become.

Can we expect them to regularly post F.E.E.T. pics throughout the project?

Also, this is probably a mistake and not a hint, but if these two bridges are actually going to be over I-293 then they're indeed changing the designation, since this portion of the Turnpike is not currently an Interstate.

View attachment 33874
I hope so. I’m a gentleman who enjoys F.E.E.T: pics at the end of the day.

The F.E.E.T. widening seems like a rather wasteful project. Aside from the induced demand aspect of it, it’s not like current conditions are that bad. It can get slightly busy at times, but certainly less so than most highways in Eastern MA. Just like NH’s recently completed absurd widening of I-93: trying to funnel as many cars as possible into the state. A very 1950s mindset.
You have to look at the cars who commute from New Hampshire into Massachusetts.

Back