Unions are Good! Or Bad!

JohnAKeith

Reaction score
I am enjoying the pile-driving going on right now b/c it drowns out the Marriott strikers outside the Westin.

Re: Omni Hotel @ BCEC | Summer St | Seaport

The strike is beyond obnoxious. Banging on drums all day is accomplishing what?

.....what has it accomplished? The signs don't even say what they are protesting. Their chants don't either. If you had to listen to it all day, you'd be fed up to. They should be trying to educate politicians, the public and other stakeholders of the issues rather than banging on drums all day bothering hard working citizens who are trying to work in neighboring businesses.

Ive walked by them a couple times and I know they're fighting for better pay, with the slogan 1 job should be enough. Inferring they have to work multiple jobs to support themselves. Not too hard to figure out

Are you going to answer the question...what has the drum banging accomplished? Why not go to the table and civilly negotiate. What are the residents at Flats on D going to do about their issue? They have to listen to that 12 hours per day.

Are you going to answer the question...what has the drum banging accomplished? Why not go to the table and civilly negotiate. What are the residents at Flats on D going to do about their issue? They have to listen to that 12 hours per day.

You dont understand what's going on? Really? It a picket line, they are trying to make people too uncomfortable to cross it. I'm sure they'd love to negotiate, I'm also pretty sure the hotels won't listen.

Being impossible to ignore is kind of the point of that kind of protest. They didn't get some drums out thinking well-paid people with comfortable jobs would start dancing in the streets with them.

As for "accomplishment" that remains to be seen.

As for "accomplishment" that remains to be seen.

Can't confirm whether there were drums involved in their simultaneous Detroit protests, but it was just revealed they were effective:

The contract in Detroit was ratified with “historic progress on crucial issues” such as wages, health care, benefits, and working conditions, according to Unite Here AFL-CIO Local 24, the union representing about 150 workers.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ill-talking/RYxncLliwBhXZOaGLPtahI/story.html

Meanwhile, as for:
...what has the drum banging accomplished? Why not go to the table and civilly negotiate.

...There's now this:
Local 26 [in Boston] is scheduled to sit down with Marriott in the next week, Lang said.
From same Globe article.​

Hey guys. Good conversation, but not the right place for it. Thanks.

Again...they could have litigated outside of the public side walks and in a board room. Stop blocking the side walk. I also have heard from a few residents at Flats on D that say they are woken up at 6am by this nonsense. Its a residential neighborhood, why should residents have to listen to this. Sure everyone would love to go complain about their job but not in a residential neighborhood.

It's only the Marriott Hotels where they are picketing not Omni Hotels. Omni Hotels is not owned by Marriott. The Ritz-Carlton and the Sheraton are.

The flats on d are right across the damn street from the bcec. I wouldn't call that a residential neighborhood I'd call it the city. Obviously you are bothered by the picket lines, I can sympathize with that as I'm sure it's annoying.... but suck it up I dont know what whining on a message board does to relieve that. Misery does love company I guess

The flats on d are right across the damn street from the bcec. I wouldn't call that a residential neighborhood I'd call it the city. Obviously you are bothered by the picket lines, I can sympathize with that as I'm sure it's annoying.... but suck it up I dont know what whining on a message board does to relieve that. Misery does love company I guess

The attitude of your above post is why everyone loves unions..........

Last edited:
I believe the Unions back in their day served their purpose but as time goes on they destroy themselves from within like every other organization. I believe in the future the Unions will become obsolete.

The Unions will be destroyed by the overall Pensions that can never be paid out.

The Media will never cover all the pension failures going on in this country. Look at Detroit, Chicago, Cali. Its not good.

The Globe literally just did a major front page story about the Teamsters pension shortfall. Just because you choose to ignore something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I do agree that unions are fucked. They are getting gakked politically, financially and via worker apathy. I disagree that they are unneeded. All the rights, wage and safety protections that were fought for over the years WILL be clawed back as soon as unions are out of the way. It's going to get ugly.

Collective voice, freedom of association, and symmetric bargaining power = good

Corruption, nepotism, cronyism in unions = bad

Statler says it best:
I do agree that unions are fucked. They are getting gakked politically, financially and via worker apathy. I disagree that they are unneeded. All the rights, wage and safety protections that were fought for over the years WILL be clawed back as soon as unions are out of the way. It's going to get ugly.

Again...they could have litigated outside of the public side walks and in a board room. Stop blocking the side walk. I also have heard from a few residents at Flats on D that say they are woken up at 6am by this nonsense. Its a residential neighborhood, why should residents have to listen to this. Sure everyone would love to go complain about their job but not in a residential neighborhood.

You have no idea how a strike or protest work do you. If you're not loud or not creating a disturbance, how do you get notice? :rollseyes:

Back