USS Constitution Museum and Visitor Ctr. | Charleston Navy Yard

BeeLine

Staff member
Reaction score
UHub article.

Long overdue. Design not wonderfull but much needed.

UHub article.

Long overdue. Design not wonderfull but much needed.
The removal of the Hoosac Stores Warehouse will be no big loss architecturally, but for me, I will miss it for it's significance in Massachusetts' history. The Hoosac Stores Warehouse is a remaining artifact of the former industrial and railroad activity of the old Charlestown waterfront. The Warehouse was built as a terminal feeding the Hoosac RR Tunnel in western MA, a major component in the effort at the time to make Boston a major port rival to NYC. It also has ties to my personal family history. My dad's side of the family goes way back to the late 1700s in the Greenfield, MA area, and I spent a lot of time up there with my dad when I was a kid, I even grew up right next to the Fitchburg Div RR in North Cambridge. The Hoosac Tunnel and the Fitchburg Division RR is etched in my memory from my childhood. Oh well, the Warehouse probably should go, and time marches on.

was looking at the plans on another thread for the storage facility by MIT.
It's probably too expensive to do something like that with this warehouse?
It would be cool tho and could be used as a transport museum, giving a wider history of the port and rail activity as well as the Constitution.

was looking at the plans on another thread for the storage facility by MIT.
It's probably too expensive to do something like that with this warehouse?
It would be cool tho and could be used as a transport museum, giving a wider history of the port and rail activity as well as the Constitution.
I like that idea. MIT has done an outstanding job at preserving and repurposing old industrial buildings in Cambridge, and I think that should be done with this one as well. Add some windows, open up and improve the ground floor exterior, and preserve the painted wording on the building itself. It's worth saving. If it's torn down, it would just be replaced by another nondescript fabrication of paper thin faux brick panels.
Hoosac_Stores_Boston_MA_01.jpg

Yea, take 2/3 of that wall off, leaving the painted wording and build a glass wall giving great views out over the harbor and would look great at night!
Re developing this could be so cool. If they are willing to tear it down it cant have major asbestos issues, I get that starting from scratch would be much easier from an ADA angle but it would be great if the museum its self could become an iconic landmark as well as the constitution.

Ive never understood this, is the building itself considered historic or the activities that happened there?
the buidling itself now is doing nothing except blocking the view (and giving off a lovely odor as you walk by).
Not sure why the renders keep the ugly concrete wall. I understand they need security, but why that wall? hopefully they get rid of the vegetation at least.

The real crime around here is the 1980's suburban "Constitution Wharf" building and surface parking lot. CBT Architecture recently moved in here, and I was hoping they would do something interesting to the building. Concerning the historic warehouse, I feel they could do something really interesting with that building, but I won't cry for its loss.

1655946224145.png

Attachments

• 1655945993076.png
    1655945993076.png
    1 MB · Views: 14
Ive never understood this, is the building itself considered historic or the activities that happened there?
Many of the historic buildings in Boston (the Old State House, Faneuil Hall, etc.) no longer serve the same function or have the same activities they historically had. Same with this warehouse building. The railroad and terminal ceased operations many decades ago. But the warehouse building itself is nonetheless historic.

The real crime around here is the 1980's suburban "Constitution Wharf" building and surface parking lot. CBT Architecture recently moved in here, and I was hoping they would do something interesting to the building. Concerning the historic warehouse, I feel they could do something really interesting with that building, but I won't cry for its loss.

View attachment 25751
Yep, that whole complex is ugly suburban 80s and doesn't fit in with the rest of the area at all. I'd rathe have them blitz that one and leave the historic warehouse in place.

Back