Viola | Mass DOT Parcel 13 | Boylston & Mass Ave | Back Bay

It's clearly more of a massing study than anything. We'll see what comes up if they even make it to the next phase. That said, this concept looks okay to me. Yes, it's not super imaginative, but it's still slightly more than a background building. And the key element to me, is that it covers the Pike and stiches the intersection of two major streets together. In a sense, the building itself doesn't matter so much as what it hides. If this were plopped down on the parcel right now, we'd all love the actual result. Given the cost of building here, maybe "something" rather than "perfection" is the best we can get.
No no no. I'm sorry but if a massive amount of money is going to be spent to cover up that hole and cinch the neighborhood together, that building had better be top notch! Once it's built, we're stuck with it for probably the rest of our lifetimes, other than little updates. This is a MAJOR pedestrian walking area, and even more so now that parcel 12 is there. It's a huge slap in the face in such a prominent area to put such an ugly, outdated, confusing thing. Maybe it's a massing study, but even there it fails. Why aren't there setbacks and more height like in the previous versions? They can do sooooo much more with the shape and size here while keeping the street level vibrant and exciting for shops and restaurants, as that area is designed for! I get that everyone has different ideas of what "perfection" here would be, but this is no one's, and to just accept "something" to fill the hole can not be the bar we are holding.
Shit, I'd rather they just covered up that hole (and the one across from it while they're at it) and leave a blank concrete pad until they get it right. The city should do it and then put some temporary art, seating, dog walk area, whatever, until a buyer proves they have their heads in the right place.

And - lets face it - this is when they'd normally be putting their best foot forward. How many gorgeous renders, even from some of the best in the biz, that have we seen VE'd down to a shadow of their former selves. I'm not sure this is just massing model? If it is, they'd be better served showing a 50% opaque block and be done with it. If no, and this is the "best" they can show now, holy fuck we're in for a nightmare and a generational missed opportunity.

...Maybe it's a massing study, but even there it fails...

Well, it did succeed in teaching me that big, bad landscrapers can eat little landscrapers (thanks @Downburst). Munch, munch, munch...

bad-01-png.30759

(...burp)

It's clearly more of a massing study than anything. We'll see what comes up if they even make it to the next phase. That said, this concept looks okay to me. Yes, it's not super imaginative, but it's still slightly more than a background building. And the key element to me, is that it covers the Pike and stiches the intersection of two major streets together. In a sense, the building itself doesn't matter so much as what it hides. If this were plopped down on the parcel right now, we'd all love the actual result. Given the cost of building here, maybe "something" rather than "perfection" is the best we can get.

I would have agreed before parcel 12, but now seeing how that is shaping up (and straddling a much large swath of the pike and filling a much bigger hole), it begs this parcel to be better to make something of the area. Almost anything is better than just the pike, sure, but I think the success of 12 turns this into a much bigger opportunity now.

Back