Visiting Boston - what arch & U/C spots to see

Thanks, guys!

I just returned from Boston. Was there for 4 days. It is wild how some things are drastically different and other things endure - and I don't mean the Back Bay or Beacon Hill.

For Example, I was in Kendall and when heading out of the city, GPS had me take O'Brien Hwy->Highland Ave->Davis Sq->MA Ave->Rte 2, there were so many things that were unchanged that gave me flashbacks to the early 1980's along the way - so cool that Frank's Steakhouse is still there, as are those odd electric busses (that seem forward thinking now with all the EV tech blowing up).

There were also lots of new, new, new - like seeing Kendall Sq. in person as well as Rte. 2 at Alewife - wild to see Lanes and Games gone replaced by all that development. Also, the development by New Balance, etc. in Allston and the Ink Block / Boston Herald / South End stuff along the Pike at the I-93 intersection.
Then there was 1 Dalton, looming alongside what in all of my memories were 2 towers in the Back Bay for so many years. So wild.

Finally, I forgot how busy, narrow, winding and nonsensical the roads are in eastern MA. Feels like Europe compared to where I live now.

In summary, now as an outsider, it is amazing to see Boston thriving and growing, while both cherishing the past and looking out into the future. So every time you look at a building that got knocked down from a proposed 30 stories to built at 10 stories or Kenmore Sq North/Whoop and feel defeated, know that Boston is and will continue to be an amazing place to call home.

PS - I took like 3 photos and will post them in the appropriate thread.

Last edited:
If you want a similar "Eastie" type view, without the hassle of going to Eastie, try the Charlestown piers. The view didn't used to be on par with Eastie's, but the 4 North Station towers and the Congress Street complex both really stand out from there. There's free 2 hour parking in the daytime on Chelsea street, and no tolls like for Eastie. I think the best view there is from the Charlestown Navy Yard Ferry Terminal but there are quite a few different skyline looks from the area.

Edit: Use this advise for your next trip!

Back