Volpe Transportation Center Development | Kendall Sq | Cambridge

If those #s are correct, that doesn't sound good. No one is going to do anything to merely break even, if that. It will be interesting to what actually emerges from the bidding process which hopefully requires some hard #s.

Take anything from Levy and especially Carlone with a grain of salt - I like the Cambridge Day, I appreciate the perspective, but Levy has his biases and Carlone definitely has his. Levy likes to drop the cute little "acccording to city councillor Dennis Carlone, an architect and urban designer" quip when he wants to cover a lack of actual data with an appeal to authority - in this case Carlone's claim that costs per gsf could reach $1,000 for the GSA site and remediation.

Disclaimer: it's a very cursory cost-benefit analysis. The total GSA relocation + site remediation is projected at $283 mil, the value of the developable area would need to be a net 374 mil total according to the analysis to support construction costs, expected rate of return, etc. That's roughly a net of $126 per gsf (number varies for res, office, "innovation). That's the realm we're dealing with.

The reason Cambridge wanted these numbers so bad is that they can then incorporate them (in-house, which I'm sure Levy will scream about later) into the expected zoning variances. There are ways to save costs: parking spaces for example (assuming about 260 gsf per space) clocks in about $385 cost of construction per parking gsf - less than project res and lab con. costs per gsf, but more than office, retail, and "innovation" ratios. Analysis gauges $100,000 per space - cut spaces (or loosen zoning regulations) and save money. Allow a more robust massing - increase gsf of development. Reduce res component - increase value per gsf. Reduce the 65% and 95% AMI allotments (the "affordable" and "middle income" brackets respectively, 15% of units projected to be 65% AMI, 5% to be 95% AMI) - increase value of res and value per gsf. Are those good outcomes? Some, certainly not all - but it's way too early to make a cost-benefit call.

In an odd way, I'm actually with Carlone - Kendall was home to some very, very serious pollution, remediation costs are going to be high and possibly/probably higher than we'd like, but there's a way to off-set that of course.

First of all, I have NO NEW NEWS ON THIS. (BOOOOOO HIIIISSSSSSSS BOOOOOOOO AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH)

With that out of the way, I was thinking last night that this would be an absolute perfect place to put a new observation deck in the city, assuming it is, in fact, the new tallest building in Cambridge. (like, 400-500' minimum)

I sent an email with my suggestion here: http://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/planud
More specifically to: cddat344@cambridgema.gov

Are there any other people/agencies worth forwarding it to? Does anybody else think an observation deck here would be a good place to make up for the JHT deck's closure, and offer possibly the most scenic observation experience of the whole city?

Alright, back to your regularly scheduled BOOOOOOO-ing and HIIIIISSSSSSSS-ing.

That would be amazing especially because being outside of the Back Bay and Downtown it would provide full views of both which are not currently possible and that angle would be really cool to see. Here are some google earth views to give an idea.

uxzX0lz.png

p8wv499.png

^^^Awesome! Thank you for providing that! It was just as I envisioned.

Here's the letter I sent (omitting my last name here):

Hi,

I am a local resident who grew up in the area (currently work in Cambridge, live in the 'burbs) and am an avid follower of construction projects, both here and nationally/internationally. I am a regular contributor on a few construction forums, including the local Archboston forum. http://www.archboston.org/community/index.php

I believe that having a public draw at the Volpe site is of vital importance. Obviously, due to zoning constraints, this is likely to be the tallest building (or couple of buildings) Cambridge ever builds in the city. As this is the one true chance for Cambridge to have its own signature tower, I urge you to think big. By the time this is built, Boston will likely have 20+ 500' towers (currently at 17, with 2 more in prep phase and another soon to join them) so it will likely have to be at least that tall to stand out from the rest of the urban skyline.

With that said, I believe this is an optimal place to put a new public observation deck. Due to its location, it will likely have the most scenic skyline views of any observation area in metro Boston, and will never be obstructed by future development. This is the type of attraction that could draw more than just the typical office/MIT crowds that for now are generally the only inhabitants in Kendall. It would also help make up for the permanent closure of the John Hancock Tower's now defunct observation deck.

So, I urge you to consider this as part of the request for the site, possibly with slightly more height/square footage allowed in the plan to allow for this public amenity. I am not asking that the deck be free by any means, just reasonably priced and open to the general public. I think this could help be a catalyst for more public attractions in the area.

Thank you for considering my suggestion.

Sincerely,

David (XYZ)

And the response:

Mr. "XYZ",

Thank you for your thoughtful email about an observation deck in Cambridge. This idea has been part of the discussions about the Kendall Square zoning and the Volpe site specifically. It will continue to be discussed in the rezoning process.

Regards,

Liza Paden

Cambridge Community Development Department

344 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

617/349-4647 (voice) 617/349-4669 (fax)

www.cambridgema.gov/CDD

Follow us on Twitter: cddat344

Like us on Facebook: CDDat344

Office Hours:

M 8:30 to 8, T to T 8:30 to 5 and F 8:30 to noon.

Hi,

I am a local resident who grew up in the area (currently work in Cambridge, live in the 'burbs) and am an avid follower of construction projects, both here and nationally/internationally. I am a regular contributor on a few construction forums, including the local Archboston forum. http://www.archboston.org/community/index.php

I believe that having a public draw at the Volpe site is of vital importance. Obviously, due to zoning constraints, this is likely to be the tallest building (or couple of buildings) Cambridge ever builds in the city. As this is the one true chance for Cambridge to have its own signature tower, I urge you to think big. By the time this is built, Boston will likely have 20+ 500' towers (currently at 17, with 2 more in prep phase and another soon to join them) so it will likely have to be at least that tall to stand out from the rest of the urban skyline.

With that said, I believe this is an optimal place to put a new public observation deck. Due to its location, it will likely have the most scenic skyline views of any observation area in metro Boston, and will never be obstructed by future development. This is the type of attraction that could draw more than just the typical office/MIT crowds that for now are generally the only inhabitants in Kendall. It would also help make up for the permanent closure of the John Hancock Tower's now defunct observation deck.

So, I urge you to consider this as part of the request for the site, possibly with slightly more height/square footage allowed in the plan to allow for this public amenity. I am not asking that the deck be free by any means, just reasonably priced and open to the general public. I think this could help be a catalyst for more public attractions in the area.

DZH -- the only improvement would be a 500 foot tower with a London Eye atop it -- sort of an improvement on the amusement ride atop the tower in Vegas

That would be the ultimate "Date Night in Cambridge"

If you want to see the same angle of the skyline that you'd get from a Volpe observatory - albeit from further away - sneak into Peabody Terrace building 2 and take the elevator to the top floor. Because the elevator skips floors the hallway is on the edge of the building and it has big glass windows with a stunning view of downtown and Back Bay. I was doing a delivery there a few months back and it kinda took me by surprise.

DZ one thing I thought that would be really cool and fitting would be a larger telescope on the roof, one big enough that it's part of the architecture and available to the public, with smaller ones dotted around as well.

Hi,

Thank you for considering my suggestion.

Sincerely,

David (XYZ)

And the response:

Mr. "XYZ",

Thank you for your thoughtful email about an observation deck in Cambridge. This idea has been part of the discussions about the Kendall Square zoning and the Volpe site specifically. It will continue to be discussed in the rezoning process.

Regards,

Liza Paden

Cambridge Community Development Department

344 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

617/349-4647 (voice) 617/349-4669 (fax)

www.cambridgema.gov/CDD

Follow us on Twitter: cddat344

Like us on Facebook: CDDat344

Office Hours:

M 8:30 to 8, T to T 8:30 to 5 and F 8:30 to noon.

DZ one thing I thought that would be really cool and fitting would be a larger telescope on the roof, one big enough that it's part of the architecture and available to the public, with smaller ones dotted around as well.

Light pollution from the city makes telescopes very ineffective... So it wouldn't be able to see much

Yea I know it's far from ideal and shouldn't be viewed as an scientific research telescope, just a sizable one capable of cool views for the general public.

Yea I know it's far from ideal and shouldn't be viewed as an scientific research telescope, just a sizable one capable of cool views for the general public.

GW there are quite a few public telescopes in Boston / Cambridge area including:
the Friday evenings program at the Museum of Science [1]
monthly programs at Harvard Smithsonian in Cambridge [2]
weekly [most weeks] programs at BU on Comm Ave. [3]
weekly programs spring and fall at the Clay Center in Brookline [4]

see http://www.bostonastronomy.net/Public Viewing.html

1] March through mid November observatory telescope and portable telescopes on the roof of the MOS parking garage
activities473.jpg

2] 3rd Thursday except June, July, August. -- includes historic Alvin Clarke 9" refractor [1912] and 1847 15" Great Refractor" [Merz and Mahler of Munich]
Center_for_Astrophysics.jpg

3] 10 and 14 inch reflectors + solar telescope
dome_14.thmb.jpg

4] research grade 64 cm computer controlled reflecting telescope
ClayCenter-25-inch.jpg

Yea I knew of a couple, but what I'm saying here is more about making an architectural focal point of the top of the building, in a sense like a clock, than just another powerful telescope for the general public to use. It would be prominent and part of the building.

Yea I knew of a couple, but what I'm saying here is more about making an architectural focal point of the top of the building, in a sense like a clock, than just another powerful telescope for the general public to use. It would be prominent and part of the building.

IIRC you generally don't want to put a telescope on top of a tall building because tall buildings will sway in the wind, messing with your view.

IIRC you generally don't want to put a telescope on top of a tall building because tall buildings will sway in the wind, messing with your view.

Another good practical point, but I did like the idea of incorporating some sciency elements into the design. It is Kendall/MIT after all. Perhaps some elements that play with light at certain times of the year. Like the MIT-henge tradition of celebrating the aligning of the infinite corridor with the setting sun.

They could have some lights go off any time a cosmic ray goes through (there's a similar art installation on the hallway between the 5th floor of building 26 and the 4th floor of building 16 at MIT).

They could have some lights go off any time a cosmic ray goes through (there's a similar art installation on the hallway between the 5th floor of building 26 and the 4th floor of building 16 at MIT).

I like the general idea of some light installation with some interesting meaning. Like Old John Hancock Building with its weather beacon which changes colors with the weather. Cosmic rays might freak people out every time it flashed though.

Perhaps something to indicate the tide level.

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

I like the general idea of some light installation with some interesting meaning. Like Old John Hancock Building with its weather beacon which changes colors with the weather. Cosmic rays might freak people out every time it flashed though.

Perhaps something to indicate the tide level.

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

Tangent -- how about a really clever very large Sun Dial -- perhaps using water in the summer time

Renders and plans for this to be released today. Will be twin towers reaching 900 feet each. From looking at the renders it appears to look like the the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur. It will have glass facade however. An exciting new technology tenant will anchor the new development. Cambridge also wants to upzone other parts of Kendall for taller developments pending NIMBY approval. (April Fools)

Last edited:

Back