Volpe Transportation Center Development | Kendall Sq | Cambridge

The cladding design on the building really tries to make it hard to see inside the building, or (I presume) out.

I could understand that for a prison, but for a federal office building it seems odd.

Was Tempest part of the design brief for the DOT? I think Draper Labs would have more call for that.

Was Tempest part of the design brief for the DOT? I think Draper Labs would have more call for that.
There is classified work that goes on at Volpe. Though possibly? probably? not at a level requiring Faraday cages, windowless rooms, with double door entry.

It doesn’t have to be a TS/SCI NSA level building to need opacity. Just ask the good folks over at the Colonial pipeline.

I don’t think Colonial was an issue of opacity. No amount of opacity hides bad IT decisions.

Last edited:
I think I like this facade more than the one on the Bay Village apartment tower. Better use of those halved-pvc-pipe-looking fin things.

The way they stick out off the facade if you look head on it looks like dark blue glass with white outline but from an angle the fins line up and block the glass and the facade looks all white. Going to be cool seeing which prominent angles give which look.

They were slick in their renders - I hadn't noticed the large wall would essentially be ribbon panel windows-esque.... Such a unique facade and they dropped the ball on that one portion..

Reactions: W-4
Today:

Vp1.jpg

Vp2.jpg

Back