Waltham Moody/Main

Can't they just hold the farmers' market in the park?

main_moody_image.jpg

Sorry to go off topic in the 4th post, but can anyone identify this:

db_jewell_st_large.jpg

It's listed in there upcoming projects section. The image name is Jewell st. Is this a Boston project?

http://www.northland.com/development/

Can't they just hold the farmers' market in the park?

Hopefully! But it might lose its charm because it would be more sprawled instead of being in a cute little compressed clutter. I also wonder if this development will give a boost to the museum of industry and culture across the street.

Good density, amount of retail, and street wall in the Moody/Main St. plan, a real city block but...the same old-timey nostalgia. When will America pull it's head out of the 19th century's butt and breath some fresh air?

The Bulfinch Triangle would have looked worlds better with this sort of design.

+1

A sad turn of events: this design is apparentlytoo "good" for the Bulfinch Triangle ... but not Waltham.

Good density, amount of retail, and street wall in the Moody/Main St. plan, a real city block but...the same old-timey nostalgia. When will America pull it's head out of the 19th century's butt and breath some fresh air?

Can you show me an example of a low/mid rise building built since 1940 that has aged as well as the classicism that's inspired this design? Serious question, because I can't think of a single example.

Things like this would also be wonderful in Cambridge/Somerville/Roxbury/JP/Southie/EVERYWHERE... moar plz...

I only wish America had its head in the 19th century's butt. The reality is that America, Boston included, still has its head firmly in the butt of 1950's Autotopia, maybe now more than ever. In an urban environment, in all but the most special cases, I'll take good urbanism over good architecture any day. That's not to say that I think this architecture is bad. It's deferential, trying to fit in and fulfills its function. And that's perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with Brut, a Bullfinch Triangle filled in with this would be vastly superior to what we're getting there. In fact, this would be superior to pretty much anything that is going up in Boston right now, IMO. I would have loved to see blocks and blocks of this in the Seaport.

I am amazed that this will replace a 1990's? 5 or 6 floor office building.

Scale, materials, detailing, and keen attention to urban form are simple conventions, that say nothing about style. Something like Herzog & de Meuron's 40 Bond Street would fit right in.

FILL Route 20 with these. Then A Branch of the Green Line all the way to 128, supplemented by dedicated-lane trolleybus extensions to Cambridge. #crazyurbanismpitches

FILL Route 20 with these. Then A Branch of the Green Line all the way to 128, supplemented by dedicated-lane trolleybus extensions to Cambridge. #crazyurbanismpitches

A Branch, plus more 500-series express buses to Back Bay and Downtown.

Back