We built this city ... Second Life

I

IMAngry

Does anyone use Second Life? I've only been there once, but am thinking of going there more often.

I think it might be fun to build our own Boston, with the neighborhoods & buildings we like. Is there already one? Should we build another? Can we buy enough land? What are the specifics?

Is it fun?

I think we should have Boston of different time periods - we can have Boston of the future, Boston of the current day, 1890, etc., next to each other, but not overlapping (and not geographically accurate, maybe).

I want to live in the Combat Zone, circa 1979.

The Boston of 1890 should have the proposed island in the Charles that was never built

I'm not exactly sure what "Second Life" is (could someone clarify for me, and am i an idiot for now knowing?), but that island proposal looked Parisian in nature. i loved it... it would be so nice to see.

I also love to see the old pictures with no highrises/ no city hall plaza, and tiny narrow streets. I'd love to see what it looks like.

Don't you have to pay for it or something? Also, the screenshots I've seen don't look very realistic. It looks like a video game.

IMAngry said:
I think we should have Boston of different time periods - we can have Boston of the future, Boston of the current day, 1890, etc., next to each other, but not overlapping (and not geographically accurate, maybe).

Isn't Boston of yesterday, today, and tomorrow essentially the same thing...I mean at least moreso than other american cities. :wink:

yea patrick your right i was checking out some skyscraper forum i forget which one and they were listing all the crap cities were building. every city had way more shit. it was ridiculous. nashville is getting a 1000 footer. and it looks fuckin great. NASHVILLE!!! its a gimmick, but what the hell!!

It's ...

Second Life is like Sim City, although interactive and real-time, and accessible by a computer.

I dont really know very much about Second Life, but Ive heard lots of hype about it lately. Anyways, IMangry may be on to something quite lucrative...

From Info Week:

Second Life Amsterdam Sells On eBay For $50,000

By Mitch Wagner, InformationWeek
March 27, 2007

One of the landmark businesses on Second Life, Amsterdam, sold on eBay Monday for $50,000 to a buyer located, appropriately enough, in the Netherlands, said the developer of the popular adult-oriented business.

Amsterdam's developer, Kevin Alderman of Tampa, Fla., put the site up for sale on eBay last week, and it sold at 6:34 a.m. PDT, according to the eBay listing. The buyer didn't bid; he just paid the asking price.

We weren't able to find out who the buyer is; he goes by nedstede2769 on eBay, where his 3-year-old account has no feedback. Alderman said he didn't want to give the buyer's name without checking first.

Alderman's company, Eros LLC, specializes in adult business on the Internet, with 90% of its business in Second Life. He said Eros sold Amsterdam so it could concentrate on building a new, much larger sex business in the game. While Amsterdam is open to anyone logged on to the game, the new business will be available only to adults.

"I felt Amsterdam should be open to the public as it's an SL icon," said Alderman.

We interviewed Alderman in-game last week over instant message, through his avatar, "Stroker Serpentine." We did a quick follow-up interview by cell phone early Monday afternoon, after the sale.

Stroker Serpentine: Eros is partnering with several adult industry concerns to develop a verified, mature playground.
Stroker Serpentine: At the risk of dating myself...remember "Westworld" ??
Stroker Serpentine: Yul Brenner
InformationWeek: LOL. Where nothing can go wrong. Go wrong. Go wrong.
Stroker Serpentine: lol..exactly!!
Stroker Serpentine: Well we consider it a mix of "Westworld", "DisneyWorld" and the "Playboy Mansion"
Stroker Serpentine grins

Amsterdam is one of the most popular sites in Second Life. It's a detailed reproduction of several streets in the real-world city, including a canal, parked Cooper Mini cars, a streetcar, and bicycles. Other features: a large, European-style public square, canal with canal boats, train station and train, and hundreds of shops. The overwhelming majority of the shops in Second Life's Amsterdam sell sexual merchandise. And avatars posing as streetwalkers hang around near the train station, openly soliciting cybersex-for-pay with any avatar who stands still for a few minutes and many walking through.

Most newcomers to Second Life visit Amsterdam early on, because of both the titillation factor and its attractive, detailed design.

The site is also a popular venue for in-game events such as live music concerts, said Daniel Huebner, director of community affairs for Second Life developers Linden Lab.

"It's a nice, high-end locale in Second Life," he said. "It's not filled with a lot of random content, it's cohesive and immersive. It was created as a single vision, something that the other content in Second Life occasionally lacks."

Alderman and associates built Amsterdam using high-resolution photos of the actual city. "It was the first of its kind in SL to be constructed that way. Many developers use the process now," he said.

Back