West End Mobil Closure & Redevelopment | West End

BarbaricManchurian

Reaction score
At old West End service station, one last fill-up
Company decides not to renew contract after 49 years

By Ryan Kost, Globe Correspondent | July 12, 2008

As time stole the old West End and replaced small shops and homes with condos and parking lots, the Mobil gas station just down the street from the Haymarket MBTA stop went relatively untouched.

But nothing in this area - or any other - lasts forever. After 49 years of business, the station's gas tanks have been filled one final time, and it won't be long until the last drip is sold and the station is closed.

"It's like our home," said Leo Pagano, 67, one of two brothers who own the station. "I mean, really, it is our home. After 40 years here, I know every crack in the walls."

Although the shop will not officially close until July 31, Pagano figured the pumps would run dry by yesterday evening. But then the credit card machine broke down and business slowed. "Whatever gas we had left, we can't even get rid of it."

Still, he said, it has been a good run, a legacy that started with his father and now includes his grandchildren.

In 1927, not too long after Henry Ford revolutionized the auto industry, four gas stations were set up in the West End, including one on Portland Street, Pagano said. About 10 years later, Pagano's father walked past the building, saw it was up for lease, and made a call. That began the family's partnership with Mobil. "It was a handshake deal," Pagano said. "It was always a handshake."

Back then, Pagano remembers, his father would sell eight gallons of gas for a buck.

By 1959, that station had shut down and the Pagano family moved down the road to another - the one that is now about to close. Pagano kept a photograph from that year. It is a black-and-white snapshot of the building front, a looking-glass into a bygone era, one filled with retro cars and exploding signs selling "NEW CAR GASOLINE!"

More than four decades later, the 5,000-square-foot shop is too quaint for Mobil to keep, Pagano said. The company decided not to renew its contract. "Now, I guess, you need to have 20,000 or 30,000 [square feet] at least," Pagano said. He doesn't have a nacho-cheese pump or self-serve caffe latte machine, the sorts of things customers have come to expect. The best he can do is a gumball.

Pagano also manages the private parking lot next to the station, which charges a day rate of $20. He will stick to that for now.

Billy Wright, 57, who has worked at the gas station for the past 27 years, might end up doing the same. "I'll probably go to the lot and work over there until they decide to put a building up, which probably won't be long," he said as he ate lunch off the hood of a car in the station's two-car garage.

"An old man such as myself, who's going to hire me?" he asked, then grinned. "You know, I'll miss this joint."

Outside at the pump, one of Pagano's grandsons, Garrett Dolaher, 17, was filling up the few cars that passed through. Some people, it seems, still use cash. He's been working at the station, he said, for about three years now, and he grew up visiting the place.

"I think it's sad for the whole nostalgia thing," he said. "It's all the little memories I have here. It's more than nostalgia."

Dolaher never expected to take over the station, he said, but he figured that he would bring his children by and show them where his family had invested decades of their lives.

"By the time I have kids," Dolaher said, "it's probably just gonna be a condo or something."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar...ld_west_end_service_station_one_last_fill_up/

Think that they'll make it anything better than a parking lot?

Those guys are great. They have the best airpump in the city-- it fills my bike tires from flat to 130psi in about 5 seconds--and has a built in gauge to tell you, among other amenities. This is a major blow to North End cyclists.

One never likes to hear of the demise of a longstanding neighborhood business, but the effect of this gas station and the crummy Rapids next door have long made it on my top 10 list of most hated buildings in the city.

An old pic, with the station at right. (What is currently in what was Paddy Burke's?)

PortlandStreet.jpg

What was once here:

MerrimacHouse.jpg

I hope the impending demise of the garage presents an opportunity to do something nice here.

Here's a pic from last month.. coincidentally the big wharehouse structure just north of the station is being renovated:

img2297es5.jpg

img2306dv5.jpg

DowntownDave, the Paddy Burke's space is still empty.

I walked passed Paddy Burke's a few days ago and it looked like it was getting worked on. It's unbelievable that it's been empty for so long.

I first saw the photo DownTown Dave posted a while back and thought "man, I wish that gas-station would go and they could build something nice there." But that video was a bit of a tear-jerker. It's a crummy looking place, but you say "Meet me at that mobile." and people knew where to meet you. Let's at least replace it with something worthwhile. *fingers crossed*

Does anyone know if the Mobil plot and the parking lot are owned by the same person?

^^

"Pagano also manages the private parking lot next to the station, which charges a day rate of $20. He will stick to that for now."

D'oh... thanks. (I swear I read the article!)

Banker & Tradesman - August 4th, 2008
Market Woes Prevent Bulfinch Developer From Buying Station
By Thomas Grillo
Reporter

The shuttering of the Mobil Station near Boston City Hall could boost one developer?s holdings in the Bulfinch Triangle. But with the financial markets in turmoil, the company is in no rush to buy.

Last month, Exxon Mobil Corp. said it is getting out of the U.S. retail gasoline market.

The world?s largest publicly-traded oil company is selling its 820 gas stations. Included in the number of stations already closed is 150-158 Friend St., across the street from the Government Center Garage.

Rosalind E. Gorin, president of HN Gorin, a real estate investment and development company that owns four parking lots on Friend Street totaling about 15,000 square feet of space, said she is not negotiating with Mobil to buy the small property. But Gorin said her firm is the logical buyer.

?I don?t know who else Mobil would sell it to since it can?t be developed on its own because it?s too small,? Gorin said. ?We are the only potential buyer, but we?re not in a hurry. We don?t think this is a great time to start a new project.?

Still, Gorin said she plans to build a 10-story office building on the parcels her firm owns, possibly including the triangular Mobil site when the financial markets improve.

?Everyone is very cautious now, there?s not much liquidity around and the economy is being squeezed,? she said. ?As a result, lenders are very cautious. You can?t get good financing for speculative development right now. If you could get financed, you?ll pay a premium and put much more equity than you would under normal circumstances.?

In Boston, projects including the South Station tower, Mayor Thomas M. Menino?s 1,000-foot skyscraper in Winthrop Square and Columbus Center are struggling to get financed.

Gorin declined to put a start date for the office building project.

?The financing market is one of the keys to the development business,? she said. ?I don?t know when this will turn around. If you can tell me when the Federal Reserve will act in a way that will provide liquidity to our economy, I?ll tell you when people will build again, because the two are linked.?

Someone posted this somewhere but I can't remember where; I don't think it was on Archboston but if it was, sorry for the re-post.

The lot where the TD Bank & CuppaCoffee is located & where there is a 16-space parking lot, bike parking facility as well as charging stations for up to 12 electric cars was listed for sale in September.

No price listed but Mobil sold it to its current owner in January 2012 for $925,000. That was before the bank and coffee shop were built, I believe.

No idea what it would be worth now (although I could figure it out, maybe) but it does get revenue from the parking of course and TD Bank apparently has a long-term lease (for better or worse).

The advertisement says there it has "32,000 square feet of development rights by special permit" whatever that means.

The lot's only 4,000-square feet so there could be eight stories? Maybe.

Why they aren't working a deal with the large parking lot behind there, owned by the Gorin family, I don't know. As you read above, she thought about buying back in 2008 and wanted to put up a 10 story office building. With the development of the Forrester building into residential space next door, it could work as apartments, perhaps. (Although you'll be hearing construction for the next six years across the street.)

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/Profile.aspx?LID=18360620

http://www.onemerrimac.com/

The West End Mobil parcel was sold in 2012 for $925,000. The new owner built the coffee shop and the ATM.

Last month, the same parcel of land sold for $3,287,500.

Appreciation due to land improvement ... or something else?

Probably due to the GC garage developments moving slowly forward.

Probably due to the GC garage developments moving slowly forward.

Maybe they got it rezoned or approved for something bigger, too? I can't imagine that the prospective development across the street and a coffee shop being the sole contributors.

Back