Westwood Station

Is this a new station, or a replacement for some existing one?

It's not a transit station at all. It's the new mixed use, transit oriented development proposed off of University Ave near the Route 128 MBTA/Amtrak station.

What's strange about the proposal is that there is going to be 1.25 million square feet of retail/restaurants. Is this right? Is this going to be a glorified shopping mall with a hotel and some condos?

Oops, I didn't read phase two and three, nevermind.

All in all I like this project - a good balance of office, retail, and residential. Let's hope the Westwood NIMBYs don't mess this up.

ZenZen said:
What's strange about the proposal is that there is going to be 1.25 million square feet of retail/restaurants. Is this right? Is this going to be a glorified shopping mall with a hotel and some condos?

I don't think you can call a project with 2000 condos a "glorified shopping mall".

The area really needs this. I live right down the street from it, and right now it's just a huge wasteland.

ZenZen said:
Oops, I didn't read phase two and three, nevermind.

All in all I like this project - a good balance of office, retail, and residential. Let's hope the Westwood NIMBYs don't mess this up.

It's pretty much gone through the planning board. Most of the town is supporting it as a way to alleviate ridiculously high property taxes.

^ I didn't realize there was so much support for it from the town. Last I heard there was some opposition or at least concerns.

I agree with you that this is a good project. It's going to be huge...with 1.25 million sq of retail, there are going to be more stores and restaurants than most of the malls in the area.

Are there any renderings for this massive project?

On a side note, the Natick Mall is undergoing a huge mixed use expansion with two condo towers and essentially an upscale extension of the existing mall.

ZenZen said:
^ I didn't realize there was so much support for it from the town. Last I heard there was some opposition or at least concerns.

I agree with you that this is a good project. It's going to be huge...with 1.25 million sq of retail, there are going to be more stores and restaurants than most of the malls in the area.

Are there any renderings for this massive project?

On a side note, the Natick Mall is undergoing a huge mixed use expansion with two condo towers and essentially an upscale extension of the existing mall.

There are some concerns, but it's not something that NIMBYs can stop at this point. The approvals are in, and to my knowledge they can't be rescinded. Our process is a little less ridiculous than the BRA's, anyway.

I'll see if I can get some pictures of the area later today if it doesn't rain.

Here's a rendering:
westwoodstation_rendering.jpg

hmmm i would really appreciate if you took those pictures. I know the area was an old office park, right? Thanks.

Here's my photo tour of the University Ave Office/Industrial Park... I didn't have a whole lot of time, I'll go back and improve upon it later

Satellite Photo (Train Station is in upper right corner):
univ9ki.jpg

Starting out... this is coming from where my house is, a built-out residential area that will not be built upon. The next three pictures were taken on Blue Hill Drive, approaching the train station.
dcp00464ce.jpg

You can start to make out the train station...
dcp00474ed.jpg

Off to the right you can see one of the 500 million signs that Cabot, Cabot, and Forbes has placed... everywhere.
dcp00480zx.jpg

One of the many desolate, fenced-off areas around the station.
dcp00504ve.jpg

A look down University Ave.
dcp00518ba.jpg

Another sign, another 1-2 story office/industrial building.
dcp00524bb.jpg

More overgrown, fenced off areas, more industrial buildings, and you can make out a Cabot sign or two off in the distance.
dcp00536vd.jpg

I have no idea what this uge 1-story concrete building is, but it looks like Boston City Hall for the suburbs. Another sign, and the entrace to the NStar complex up on the hill that I take a drive up to.
dcp00544vw.jpg

View from the NStar parking lot
dcp00555bg.jpg

A few more...
dcp00568hu.jpg

dcp00571sn.jpg

dcp00583er.jpg

Another industrial site (and sign)
dcp00598ub.jpg

Back on University Ave... lots of trucks in the area
dcp00600sm.jpg

Wasteland...
dcp00618fh.jpg

dcp00626tf.jpg

Good views of the train station and the massive empty lot next door
dcp00631mq.jpg

dcp00643sp.jpg

Next time I'll go inside the station and take pictures from the top of the garage.

So when does construction start? I am definatly going to be keeping an eye on this whole thing. I would love to watch the progress and see some of the demo!

The meeting on Wednesday is to begins at 7 p.m. at 201 University Ave. Residents of the Canton Street, Whitewood Road, and Blue Hill Drive neighborhoods have been invited to attend.

I might go, Wednesday is my day off this week. It sucks that it's not going to be done before I go to college though.

There's really not any significant opposition to this project. The vast majority of people are happy that their property taxes will be going down and that they'll have something to do without haveing to drive to Dedham.

Something really needs to be done about the University Ave. on and off ramps to and from 128 northbound. Even when the pavement is completely dry, it's pretty scary unless you go like 10 mph. I wouldn't even attempt it in the winter.

I like it but lets hope the people in Westood do too. That is TOD at it's finest; I really like what they did with the creek.

vanshnookenraggen said:
I like it but lets hope the people in Westood do too. That is TOD at it's finest; I really like what they did with the creek.

It's pretty much guaranteed to go through at this point. The only think I don't like is how they're trying to turn my street (a moderately busy but residential street) into a quiet cul-de-sac-ed road.

so is most of the parking going to be underground? If so, i am ever more looking forward to this being built. Either way, I cannot wait until i will be able to go here.

Westwood - The four candidates for Westwood Planning Board - current Chairman Rob Malster, incumbent Bruce Montgomery and challengers John Walsh and Joseph Toffoloni - all said they recognize the significance of bringing a $1.5 billion, 4.5-million-square-foot, mixed-use project to a quiet Boston suburb.

On April 24, voters will decide who they want representing their interests on the project.

For a planner to vote on a project, he must have attended all public hearings on the application, and a project needs four affirmative votes for approval. If the makeup of the board changes due to the election, Station developer Cabot, Cabot & Forbes would likely withdraw its application and restart the hearing process.

For Walsh, an environmental scientist and former Planning Board member, the Westwood Station plans have already undergone much of the revision process under the current board.

"It's already been out there, (gone through) the informal hearing process, if it requires the reinitiation of a formal one," Walsh said.

Walsh sees Westwood Station as a good idea "conceptually," with its smart growth potential.

"The challenge is minimizing the risk to the environment, public safety and schools," Walsh said.

Should he sit through the process, Walsh said he would push the developer to consider more senior housing options and revisit environmental, wetlands and water protection. The candidate believes traffic poses a major risk that requires a regional perspective.

Malster, who has a career in residential remodeling, has pledged since the beginning of the public hearing process to conduct a thorough and detailed review of the project while balancing tax revenue generation with preservation of the town's character.

After more than two months of working with the town's peer review consultants, CC&F presented its revised plan to the Planning Board last week.

"Now is the time of the real work with the board and the public. We're at the point of this is it, let's get into the meat of does it work," Malster said.

The chairman plans to devote an 8 p.m. meeting on Monday almost entirely to public input. No location has been set for the meeting.

Even as the project proceeds, Malster recognizes the need for various boards to cooperate. Particularly, Malster said he is pushing the Board of Selectmen to resolve the issue of whether or not Canton Street will be closed to through traffic. The plans for Westwood Station assume the road will be closed, but the town has yet to finalize the matter.

"It's difficult for us to do what we're trying to do with no answer there," Malster said.

Toffoloni, a retired graduate engineer, wants to preserve the town's character. Westwood Station, Toffoloni said, "is going to change Westwood, because it's a mini city."

The candidate said he has heard neighbors say the project is too large for the area. More personally, Toffoloni thinks traffic is the main issue tied to the development, and wants to see the number of residential units reduced and the height of the hotels diminished. Like Walsh, Toffoloni believes Westwood Station should be a site for affordable senior housing.

Toffoloni has also complained about the permitting process, where he feels CC&F should present more detailed plans at meetings.

Montgomery, general manager of the Tweeter Center in Mansfield, said he feels that Westwood, with its conglomeration of highways, commuter rail and Amtrak station, makes for the ideal location for a project of Westwood Station's type.

Although Montgomery recognizes his role as one of determining if the benefits of the project outweigh its detriments, he sees a need for the project.

"We need no more overrides for many years. I understand the character of the town concern, but I'm not afraid of change," Montgomery said.

Most important for Montgomery is controlling the amount of traffic produced by Westwood Station, and implementing development agreements that would force the builder to halt construction and fix any problems that arise.

As should be expected, neither Malster nor Montgomery wants a challenger to pull the Westwood Station rug out from under his feet.

Utilizing the recent Boston Marathon as an analogy, Malster said, "We're approaching Heartbreak Hill, and we want to see this through. We don't want to hand off the baton."

http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/homepage/x1084382897

Back